Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gods and Goddesses of Egypt
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As isisinacrisis says, Hecate is Greek. However there is an Egyptian equivalent...

HEKET: RA's daughter and wife of KHNUM. The Goddess of Childbirth, she looks like a frog.

There's a strong possibility that she was adopted by the Greeks under the name HECATE.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Heket was a goddess of magic-so was Hecate. Wink

Maybe this proves that perhaps, the Egyptians may have pinched their myths from Egypt??? Hmmm...
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:
And Heket was a goddess of magic-so was Hecate. Wink

Maybe this proves that perhaps, the Egyptians may have pinched their myths from Egypt??? Hmmm...

You mean the Greeks pinched their gods from Egypt?

I have actually read about correspondences between Greek and Egyptian gods. I will have to look that up.
If only I could remember where I read it. Very Happy
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have anew favorite: Seshat

from tour egypt:
Quote:
Seshat, Female Scribe, Goddess of Writing Measurements by Caroline Seawright

Seshat (Sashet, Sesheta), meaning 'female scribe', was seen as the goddess of writing, historical records, accounting and mathematics, measurement and architecture to the ancient Egyptians. She was depicted as a woman wearing a panther-skin dress (the garb of the funerary stm priests) and a headdress that was also her hieroglyph which may represent either a stylized flower or seven pointed star on a standard that is beneath a set of down-turned horns.

Panther-skin dress!!!

She was supposedly the female counterpart of Tthoth. So she was the godess of wisdom.
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Panther-skin dress!!!

LMAO!

Quote:

The Greeks or earlier Macedonians were in awe of Egypt, their monuments, history, royal's wealth, religion and knowledge.
Later the Romans conquered the Greeks and took on some of their culture and religion. Its not so much pinching, as admiring and absorbing. I expect its not too dissimilar to what our countries do today.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did hear on a TV programme that Hathor was the 'Egyptian Aphrodite', but I'm not sure about any other Greek-Egyptian god correspondences.
alexk
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Hekate Reply with quote

Heket in Egypt was known also as a goddess with frog head and she was responsible for protecting childhood and offspring. It is interesting she also was know as a guide for souls after birth and death. Hekate has assimilated some of these roles. Even now some trying to attribute her a lot of dark roles and functions but in reality she was a goddess with a lot sufferring and giving to people and gods. There are no remains of any temples to Heket in Egypt, but there are a few areas in Greece related to existence of Hekate (Athens, and few other places). Hekate has got a very unusual reincarnation at present times as a Goddess of Magick. She is very often depicted as a Goddess with 3 heads and 3 frog heads. She is walking in the night at crossroads and lead travellers towards their destiny despite of sometimes drastic decisions they need to make to improve their lives.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: