Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

book of the dead/pyramid texts questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: book of the dead/pyramid texts questions Reply with quote

Some questions:

1) Is there a website (or more than one website) with the book of the dead? I had a url for one but I lost it...

2) is there a website with the pyramid texts?

3) is it true that the book of the dead wasn't really called 'book of the dead' and if so, what was it called?
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for just doing this quickly, but heres a couple of links I have:

http://www.aldokkan.com/religion/dead.htm

The papyrus of Ani: http://www.aldokkan.com/religion/dead.htm

Havent got anything for the Pyramid texts sorry
The 'Book of the Dead' is more closely translated as The Book of Coming Forth By Day/Into Light - Reu nu pert em hru.
Really prayers for entering heaven/ being reborn.
almostascribe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is book of the dead is called going forth by day?
Thoth
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several different sections to the 'Book of the Dead' -- it's a collection of texts rather than a complete book, 'Book of the Dead' being just a nickname applied to them all collectively when they were first discovered. I believe that is the title of one of the primary sections, though. I'll list all the sections when I've got more time, if you'd like.
I'd suggest you actually buy a translation in book form rather than relying on the net -- copied though they may be, I wouldn't personally trust the accuracy of translations on the net, at least not for something as large and important as this -- anyone can publish something on the net, and it hasn't necessarily been copied accurately.
I believe the two major (if only) translations are by Budge and Faulkner. Practically, since most recent copies of Budge's translation have been updated with new discoveries/word meanings taken into account, there is no real difference between the two other than the introductions. I'd suggest Faulkner's version for peace of mind, though, at least because the introduction will probably contain more modern, accurate information than the introduction of Budge's, but it depends what you want. You'll probably find them both just by searching for 'book of the dead' on Amazon, though I won't give you a link because I'm not sure where you live and which Amazon you'd have to order from.
"I stand like Horus. I sit like Ptah. I am strong like Thoth. Mighty like Tem. I walk with my legs. I speak with my mouth. I chase my enemy. He hath been given unto me, and he shall not be delivered from me."
Egyptian Book of the Dead
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much!

Yeah Anneke I think I know the pyramid text site that mentions Disney Land-I remember a site like that, it also says weird stuff about aliens and even suggests the great pyramid is a bomb!!!!! Surprised now that's a crazy theory if there ever was one!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:
Thanks very much!

Yeah Anneke I think I know the pyramid text site that mentions Disney Land-I remember a site like that, it also says weird stuff about aliens and even suggests the great pyramid is a bomb!!!!! Surprised now that's a crazy theory if there ever was one!

I had not read about the pyramid as a bomb. There are some paranoid people out there Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

(Where's the fuse?)
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's gonna blow!!!...kabooooom! Laughing

Anyways, getting back to the subject matter, I've been searching on my computer files and it seems I do have the BOD-as a PDF. Can't remember where from, but I do have it.
I wouldn't mind getting a book version though, one which has snazzy illustrations...
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I just found some more sites with yet more translations. Most of them are more or less the same interpretation though.

Are there any good pyramid text books I could get?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: