Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

chit chat
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lou Powell
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: chit chat Reply with quote

Come on then ..... lets get the ball rolling as there isn't many of us here.

How many of us have been to Egypt ?

How many times have we been to Egypt ?

What area of Egypt did we visit ?

What's our favourite 'thing' about Egypt ?

Love to hear from you all.

Lou. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol a little late but the ball will roll!
I've never been to egypt, have you? I'm only 16, never been on a plane. Kinda boring life really. Well my FAV thing about ancient egypt is the simplicity i guess. it was a mysterious time. Ancient egypt just fits my style i guess. I like the sun etc..
Why do you like egypt? and all those questions right back at ya! Smile hope to see a response! byes! (and tell me about yourself!)
Anubis
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to visit Egypt and intend to do so. However, I live in the UK and do not have the experience (or courage) to "go it alone"! Therefore, | am subject to package holidays. Can you suggest which I go for? Do I cruise down the Nile, stopping at various tourist sites along the way? Do I spend my first visit in Luxor? etc. etc. Do I do the museums first or visit the sites?
Jason Patterson
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Once Reply with quote

I have been to Egypt only once. But it was a very good stay. I stayed in Cairo and traveled to many of the sites in Egypt. One of my most favorite spot in Egypt was Giza and The Valley of the Kings.

Also Anubis, I would suggest not going alone. Though the Egyptian government has made their country more safer for tourist I suggest that you take one or two other people with you.

I suggest that you explore alone it is always a little more fun not hearing a tour guide for two hours strait. As for cruising down the nile, that is a very nice journey.

I would suggest visiting the whole country Very Happy but that would take a very long time. But you should ask a tour company what some nice sites are to visit first and where to stay. Cairo, is the most safest in my opinion.
Jan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, Smile

In answer to Lou's question I have visited Egypt many times and stayed at all the major towns - eg Cairo, Luxor, Aswan.

My favourite place - that's a hard one, probably Karnak Temple at Luxor because every time I return, I discover something new.

What do I love about Egypt - the sites, weather and they have some fantastic hotels.

In answer to Anubis' question. My first holiday was a Nile cruise (package holiday) and I still think that is the best way to see Egypt for the first time.

I also agree with Jason that going it alone can be a little daunting, especially if its your first trip, and even more so if you are female, best to get a feel for the place in the company of others first.

Jan
Anubis
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jan.....It's quite expensive to do the Nile Cruise.....However, I now think that would give me the best introduction. Maybe just now is not the best time to go?........When on the cruise...do they fully explain the sites and give you the incentive and information to enable you to find the best way to decide if you want to return?
Jan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anubis,

The vast majority of cruises start at Luxor and sail to Aswan. They usually include all the main sites along the way and the travel company should provide a guide on all the tours. Quite often these are university students in their final year of studying Egyptology, so they are usually very good. At the end of the cruise many package holidays also include a one or two night stay in a Luxor hotel before flying back to the UK – which gives you a chance to do a little exploring on your own – or just chill out around the pool. By the end of the holiday I would think you would have probably experienced enough of Egypt to know whether you want to return, or not.

Alternatively, you could include a short visit to Cairo, either before or after your cruise, to see the pyramids and museum, but obviously the costs go up as an extra internal flight is involved and it gets quite hectic trying to fit everything in.

There are usually some very reasonably priced late-deals knocking around, which is great – as long as you don’t have to book your holiday in advance.

Regarding whether to travel now – maybe not if it’s your first time. I’d probably leave it until next year and see how things settle down in the region.

I have more travel information on my website at:
www.ancientnile.co.uk/travel.html

Jan
Anubis
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Visiting Egypt Reply with quote

Thank you Jan!
What a fabulous web site! The photos have really started me yearning to visit. I haven't explored your site fully yet but, after reading your travel information, I feel much more confident. I think April or October is definitely the time for me to go and, with your advice on the current situation, I intend to aim for next April. I will start with a cruise. I've been saving for quite a while, just needed to sort through the maze of available holidays. I'm not sure I could cope with the bartering but who knows! Thanks again, I shall full explore your site.
Jan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anubis,

Glad to be of help. Bartering can be a bit of an ordeal but at the end of the day, if you’re not happy just walk away, shaking your head and saying, la (Arabic for ‘no’ actually it's la’a – but most people say la) - best said politely, but firmly.

Thanks for your kind comments with regards to my site – much appreciated. Very Happy (I hope to add more travel information over the next couple of months)

Jan
Djehtinefer
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I haven't been to Eypt yet either. But my partner and I are going to remedy that. We are going to Egypt in Dec (19th - 2nd Jan), so we are really looking forward to it. The trip we have booked on goes to the Stepped Pyramid at Saqqara, the Bent and Red Pyramids at Dashur and Giza, Cairo, Alexandra, Aswan and Abu Sinbel, Kom Ombo, Luxor and Karnak, Valley of the Kings and Queens, Queen Hatshepsuts Temple and the Colossi of Memnon. The last couple of days are spent at Hurghada on the Red Sea.
Jason Patterson
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Good Choice Reply with quote

Djehtinefer:

It looks like you have a very nice vacation planned out. It would be more than I got to see, but I was then at the time of the suicide bombers were at a high in Cairo. I hope you have a good time there.

Also, at Hurghada, keep an eye and see if you get the rare chance of the Red Sea parting Very Happy

Jay
wannabe
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
I'm new on here.

I just got back from Egypt! It was a fantastic holiday.

Read what I wrote to the people I travelled with:
http://www.discoveregypt.co.uk/cgi-bin/pages/117.htm

I am still so excited over the whole experience and want to go back ASAP!

I am a teacher so I'm considering teaching over there.

Would love to hear more about other peoples experiences.
Especially about the Red sea and Alexandria. I didn't get chance to visit them so would love to know more.

So happy to find this site.
Sharon.
Jan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sharon,

Welcome to the forum. Very Happy

Glad to hear you had a great time in Egypt. I have also stayed at the Mecure and found it a very good hotel and well situated.

What sites did you manage to see on your cruise?

Jan
wannabe
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Valley of the Kings, Valley of the Queens, Temple of Hapchepsut, Edfu, Philae, Abu Simbel, Komobo, Aswan High Dam, Nubian village (on a Camel), kitchen Island, Luxor and Karnac temples, Abydos and Denderah, Pyramids and Sphinx (Cairo).

I really want to go back to Cairo for the The Coptic church and the Mohammad Ali Mosque, also I want to go to Alexandria and anywhere along the Red Sea.

This was my first time going and I so want to go back. Thinking of Teaching over there.
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be so cool! i cant wait till i'm old enough to go to egypt! Smile
Ive never flown anywhere or anything.. always been in Canada. But this next spring i'll be going to Barcelona.. and its such a tease.. Smile being on the red sea and all.. Smile

Did you take pictures? Very Happy if so please share.

Serena~

Oh yeah and welcome Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Travel All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: