Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rome or egypt
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe that's funny you should say that because I've trained with the sword (a Samurai) and I'm pretty good with it.

I have never heard of hunters being killed or injured, which is a shame because I love happy stories.
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniella wrote:

I have never heard of hunters being killed or injured, which is a shame because I love happy stories.

LOL That cracked me up Very Happy
And I though I had a cynical streak a mile wide Laughing
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, did I come across this one too late. There I go, ignoring the General Discussion forum again. And this was a good one, too.

Anyway, I'll add that certainly these animals were dangerous. Nobles and royals certainly didn't relish hunting lions because they were easy prey! The biomass has changed over the years, but the lions and crocodiles and hippos of ancient Egypt were incredibly dangerous to the population--they went so far as to create the mythical Ammit out of them.

To this day the hippo is resonsible for more human deaths in Africa than any other animal. Keep your distance!

And ben was right, in my own opinion, that hieroglyphs are overly complex. I think that was deliberate on the part of the literate class. Hieroglyphs were the formal language of religion and pageantry and were never meant to be fully accessible to the masses (the vast majority of whom were illiterate, anyway). But as anneke aptly pointed out, there was hieratic--this was the common language in written form, and considerably more accessible to any literate person. Hieroglyphs were archaic even by Tut's time, so that certainly didn't help, either.

Visit my blog!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I used to be an avid hunter, Daniella. Let me assure you, hunters are being killed or injured all the time--usually by their dimwitted fellow hunters. Surprised

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I used to be an avid hunter, Daniella.

Surprised I don't know what to say, first you say you don't like the Beetles and now this? That's okay though, you're still cool in my books. You really don't like the Beetles?
Quote:
hunters are being killed or injured all the time--usually by their dimwitted fellow hunters.

Then maybe they shouldn't hunt.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know what to say, first you say you don't like the Beetles and now this? That's okay though, you're still cool in my books. You really don't like the Beetles?

I like some or their stuff but all in all I'm not a fan, no. Never was. I used to be a big Elvis fan when I was young, but then all of the nutty Elvis impersonators kind of ruined that for me, too.

Quote:
Then maybe they shouldn't hunt.

There's much more to hunting than just killing things. I shot my fair share of game (mostly ducks and quails and pheasants), but there were plenty of hunting trips that I didn't shoot anything. It was just fun being out in the woods with my friends. I'd still go hunting, but none of my current friends are hunters, and I think the City of Chicago would frown on me strolling through Lincoln Park Zoo with one of my shotguns.

Truth be told, over the years I've shot a lot more animals with my cameras than with my guns.

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I like some or their stuff but all in all I'm not a fan, no. Never was. I used to be a big Elvis fan when I was young, but then all of the nutty Elvis impersonators kind of ruined that for me, too.

I like Elvis, my favourite song from him is "I can't help falling in love with you", it's so sweet.
Quote:
Truth be told, over the years I've shot a lot more animals with my cameras than with my guns.

Good to hear. I love animals so much! I want to go to Africa to see all of the Savannah creatures, and I would absolutely love to go gorilla tracking, those apes are the most beautiful creatures ever! So are lions and oh, elephants!! I love elephants! Gibbons are rally cool too, they're amazing acrobats! ....I'd better stop talking about animals now before I get too carried away.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister has been to Africa numerous times, particularly South Africa. They have amazing animal preserves down there and she's brought back some fantastic photographs. A fellow docent at the Field recently went to Africa with her daughter and she brought her photos to the museum to share with us. Wow! Her daughter is a very talented photographer and had packed a powerful telephoto lens...some incredible closeups of lions. You'd swear she had walked right up to them and asked them to pose. My favorite was of a beautiful lion lounging in the leafless branches of a tree. It was looking right at the camera (and maybe thinking of the person behind it...mmm, lunch!).

Visit my blog!
ben41193
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniella wrote:
Hehe that's funny you should say that because I've trained with the sword (a Samurai) and I'm pretty good with it.

My dad is a hunter and so am i. My uncle has personly been atttackeb by a derr and would have died if not for his 44. magnum so i know that a lot of hunters are killed by animals
ben41193
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I firgot this in my last post sory.

I like elvis too but i honetly like the coasters more. My favorit elvis sog would hae to be jailhouse rock
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
Quote:
My sister has been to Africa numerous times, particularly South Africa. They have amazing animal preserves down there and she's brought back some fantastic photographs.

Oh, I'm so jealous! I would kill to go to Africa, actually I don't know what country I would prefer to go to..Egypt or Kenya. What am I talking about? Of course Egypt! Razz
ben41193 wrote:
Quote:
My dad is a hunter and so am i.

But, in your profile it says that you have a deep love for animals, or something like that. Does that just mean you love the taste of them? Laughing
Quote:
My uncle has personly been atttackeb by a derr and would have died if not for his 44. magnum

Well, the deer was just defending himself. My uncle is a hunter too and he killed a momma black bear, and he made her into a bear rug.......not my favourite uncle. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definitely prefer Egypt to most of the rest of Africa. The scenery in those animal preserves is stunning but I'm more into history than animal gazing.

But on the subject of hunting, any decent hunter has a love and respect for animals. Hunting is part of human history and it's still necessary, especially as man encroaches more and more upon what was once animal territory. Believe it or not there are deer that get hit by cars on the North Shore, near where I work in Chicagoland; and I've seen deer in some cemeteries I've visited within the city itself. When the population of any game animal gets too large it's common to extend hunting season and expand on licenses--it's either that or let a bunch of animals starve to death. Plus, though your taxes certainly help, much of the money that goes into governmental conservation and ecology projects comes from those fees hunters pay to get their permits.

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the population of humans is getting too large, what's the solution to that? Hunting humans seems a bit...I don't know....against the law?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think the population of humans is getting too large, what's the solution to that? Hunting humans seems a bit...I don't know....against the law?

Yes, that would be a tad illegal. But humans have access to one thing to which animals do not: contraception. Pity more humans aren't wise to it.

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. It should be against the law to have more than two kids. Doesn't China have a law like that? But here some people have religions where birth control isn't allowed, so that just sucks for them. I know a family with 14 kids and the oldest one is my age.

Animals don't have religions, I think they are on to something.

Loss of creature habitats is the number one cause of extinction, we should respect them more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: