Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rome or egypt
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, China does have such a law. But their country is grossly overpopulated and they can barely take good care of their population as it is, so such an extreme law makes a strange, twisted kind of sense.

I wouldn't call either the US or Canada overpopulated. We are able to sustain our populations, though too many people are poor and hungry. This seems to be a problem most stringently affecting the poorest countries, like the mess taking place right now in Niger, one of the poorest nations on earth--3.6 million people are facing starvation there. And yet they keep having children they cannot feed...because so many of their children have died of starvation and disease.

Okay, I'll stop pontificating now. It's too late to be thinking so deeply.

And how do you know animals don't have religion? Just because we've never happened across a bunch of deer kneeling in prayer, doesn't mean they don't do it. Very Happy Actually animals do not have the grace of sentience or logic, so I wouldn't expect them to be terribly religious.

Ignorance is bliss?

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Rwanda I believe it is, the people are taking over the jungles and cutting down the trees, eliminating the gorillas homes therefore killing them, and the mountain gorillas are sooo endangered now, I think the nuber is like 650 or something left in the world. It's aweful.

Canada is definitely not overpopulated, we're barely populated! Laughing It's just that in the northern part it's too damn cold, none wants to live up there! Laughing

Quote:
Actually animals do not have the grace of sentience or logic, so I wouldn't expect them to be terribly religious.

They aren't religious because they don't have to be, we don't have to be, we just create religions because we can. It seems we do alot of things just because we can.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and the mountain gorillas are sooo endangered now, I think the nuber is like 650 or something left in the world. It's aweful.

That's terrible, not to mention scary. To think that only 650 of such a magnificant animal are all that's left. Sounds like the kind of number that can be wiped out overnight if we're not careful. I know that most of the native peoples there don't give much of a hoot--aside from the profit in poaching--so I wonder what the international community is doing?

Quote:
It seems we do alot of things just because we can.

LOL That is possibly the best definition of Homo sapiens I've ever read.

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so I wonder what the international community is doing?

Well, I think that there is an organization where you can make donations, it mostly goes towards helping global warming, which is another big factor conserning the endangerment of these magestic animals. I can't remember what the organization is though. Sad

Quote:
That is possibly the best definition of Homo sapiens I've ever read

Hehe thanks, but, aren't we homo sapien sapiens?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hehe thanks, but, aren't we homo sapien sapiens?

Well, aren't we picky! But I believe you're right.

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, aren't we picky!

Always have been. Well, with some things, anyways. Gotta have balance, you know?
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do love animalsbut im not stupid i understand population conttroll and think deer are wonderfull animals and unlesss your a vegitarian you have no right to say hunting is bad
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venison....mmmmm, yum!

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely not a vegetarian, but I don't munch on wild animals. The animals I eat are born to be eaten, they are domesticated and they are farm animals, well except for the fish but alot of people don't consider fish 'meat', but I do. I enjoy fishing and fish are very yummy and good for you too.

I don't know why I get so angry when people hunt, I wear leather shoes and I eat animals, but it's different because..I don't know I love animals and I have a great deal of respect for them. If I were to go to a farm and see a cow I would pet her and say how beautiful she is, but then in a few weeks I could be eating her and think nothing of it, I guess I'm a flawed, inconsiderate stupid human being.

And you are right, I have no right saying hunting is bad when I eat animals, but I must get angry because they are wild, and that means alot to me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The animals I eat are born to be eaten, they are domesticated and they are farm animals...

It wasn't always that way, though. Cattle were domisticated in the Near East (Fertile Crescent) almost 10,000 years ago (roughly 8,000 BCE), and the Egyptians started raising herds around 8,000 years ago.

I know, it's completely different now. That was a long time ago, but it was a great excuse to throw out some impressive figures about how long ago those cute cows were "tamed" by man.

Quote:
If I were to go to a farm and see a cow I would pet her and say how beautiful she is, but then in a few weeks I could be eating her and think nothing of it, I guess I'm a flawed, inconsiderate stupid human being.

LOL This reminds me of that episode of the Simpons where Lisa decides once and for all that she's a vegetarian. They had been at a petting zoo earlier that day (I think that's how it started), and Lisa had fallen for a cute little lamb. Naturally for dinner that evening they had pork chops, and all Lisa could see when she was staring at the cut of meat on her plate was that cute little lamb. "Lisa, don't eat me!"

Sorry. I'm a Simpsons nut.

Quote:
I guess I'm a flawed, inconsiderate stupid human being.

Well, we're all flawed, but there's certainly nothing wrong with you. You're a good-hearted person for caring for animals so much. You know that ASPCA show on Animal Planet? I watch that sometimes. I get both furious and choked up when I see some horribly abused dog or cat, and I want unholy hell to fall upon the heads of the drooling idiots who so abused those helpless animals.

Okay, that's enough ranting from me.

You can learn a lot about a person when you hunt with them. I remember going hunting with my dad and a friend of his not long after we had first moved to northern Minnesota. I was probably 13 or 14. My dad's friend had a son my age and in my grade. Chris was his name. We went out at dusk and just walked around, Chris toting his shotgun. I was wondering why he wanted to walk around in the twilight with a weapon that could easily blow off one of our legs. We heard some chittering up in a tree and Chris said, "Hey, watch this." He raised the shotgun, took aim at a squirrel, and blew it into bloody bits. I decided right there that I wasn't going to like Chris. And you know what? Through the years and down to our high school graduation, I couldn't stand the guy. Mad

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
LOL This reminds me of that episode of the Simpons where Lisa decides once and for all that she's a vegetarian

I've never heard of that show, is it old? Just kidding, I remember that episode very clearly. I love the Simpsons too. Smile
Quote:
You know that ASPCA show on Animal Planet? I watch that sometimes. I get both furious and choked up when I see some horribly abused dog or cat, and I want unholy hell to fall upon the heads of the drooling idiots who so abused those helpless animals.

Yeah, I cry every time I see that show, it kills me. I am such a cry baby though, too emotional.
Quote:
We heard some chittering up in a tree and Chris said, "Hey, watch this." He raised the shotgun, took aim at a squirrel, and blew it into bloody bits. I decided right there that I wasn't going to like Chris.

Crying or Very sad ...see? That's horrible. Shocked
Quote:
Through the years and down to our high school graduation, I couldn't stand the guy.

I guess not!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah, I cry every time I see that show, it kills me. I am such a cry baby though, too emotional.

Some of the things people do to their "pets" just makes me sick. I mean, when we take in a dog or a cat or a bird or a goldfish or any other kind of animal, it is our obligation to care for them properly.

But what makes me nearly as sick on this television show, is when they say the courts will have to decide whether the owner will get his or her pet back. GET THEIR PETS BACK? What kind of bulls**t is that? If you abuse an animal, you don't deserve to have one in the first place.

As just punishment such a sicko should have "Animal Abuser" branded onto his or her forehead so he or she can never again have any kind of pet.

Not too extreme, am I? Shocked

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not too extreme, it sounds good to me. Cool

Someone I know got a worse punishment for stealing some groceries from the store he worked at than a group of teens got for torturing and murdering a cat. Mad It's not right.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Someone I know got a worse punishment for stealing some groceries from the store he worked at than a group of teens got for torturing and murdering a cat. It's not right.

That's the problem right there. Our system of laws does not take animal life seriously enough. Kill a helpless animal? Pay a joke of a fine and be on your way. We need to make the mere idea of punishment for animal abuse too severe for people even to consider it. That includes those pathetic losers who raise dogs just to fight each other.

Boy, I think it's a good thing I don't make the laws. I wouldn't be terribly popular. Shocked

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Our system of laws does not take animal life seriously enough.

I really don't understand why! Mad We're supposed to think of a cat or a dog as another member of the family, and when they pass away it hurts just as much as if a human family member dies. What don't they understand? Confused
Quote:
Boy, I think it's a good thing I don't make the laws. I wouldn't be terribly popular.

You would with me (and anyone else with half a brain and a heart). Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: