Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rome or egypt
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't get it, either. But the vast majority of people who have pets pamper them and treat them like royalty. All the pet owners I know treat their animals like precious children. Very Happy

LOL I get a kick out of the name of this thread--rome or egypt. It is now rome or egypt or pets.

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Laughing It happens all of the time.....so rome or egypt? I say Egypt, how 'bout you?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egypt, no question. I'm trying to learn more about Rome only because of our Pompeii exhibit that's coming up in October, and as cool as that will be, it's the Tut exhibit that has me juiced! I don't know how I'm going to contain myself till next May. Surprised Surprised Surprised

Visit my blog!
Claire
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile I would definately pick egypt aswell, to me egypt seems to have some sort of mystery and intrigue that I dont find about Rome(although i find it interesting also)
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a bit of trivia that I heard the other day...

Did you know that there was no word for "volcano" in the ancient Roman's latin?
I was reading a book about Pompeii where that was stated. It really surprized me!
Pompeii has long fascinated me. The huge amount of life that was lost is staggering! The city becoming such a big excavation site--like a post-card from the past, really. The daily lives of the people can be easily re-constructed. Even the remains of food were found in the street-cafes. We have a picture of the operation of a city in the Roman world that quite suddenly ceased to exists.
Some of the villas were so very beautiful, with inner courtyards, fountains, statuary, etc. It's quite a place!
Unfortunately, I've never been there--it's on my "go to" list!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unfortunately, I've never been there--it's on my "go to" list!

Nor have I, but a couple of people I know have been there, and it's no surprise that they loved it. You're right about the excavations there. Pompeii was so well preserved, and so it has become an important archaeological site (and a kind of time capsule) in telling us about the day-to-day life in a Roman city.

I think in our Pompeii exhibit this fall we are going to have nine casts of the bodies found at Pompeii. Dead bodies don't bother me. I used to work for an ambulance company as an EMT and have seen some pretty disturbing things. But strangely I am moved by the casts of the dogs they've made at Pompeii, including that one that was found still tethered to a stake. Imagine how frightened those poor animals were.

That is strange that the Romans had no word for "volcano." I didn't know that. I'm still in the process of studying Pompeii and don't know much about it, but I have heard that the Romans who lived there didn't even know that Vesuvius was a volcano. It's been erupting repeatedly down through time, so I wonder how they referred to such an event in Latin? I also hear that Vesuvius is due to erupt again. You just have to wonder how disturbing the mere thought of that is to the historians and excavators who work there. I mean, so many years have been spent digging that city out of the ashes, and it's possible that Pompeii will be buried all over again! Surprised

Visit my blog!
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote kmt-sesh : That is strange that there was no word for 'volcano"in the Ancient Roman's Latin.?

Vulcanus , the ancient Roman god of fire, especially destructive fire.
Volcano , from the Latin expression Vulcanus.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen several of the bodies found at Pompeii, in the October 2003 -February 2004 exhibition Da Pompei A Roma here in Brussels. It was one of the best exhibitions I have ever seen.Everything was so well preserved, I found the fresco's very beautiful, the silverwork , the statue's, the golden jewellery they found on the bodies of some of the victimes. It was a very impressive exhibition.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't even gotten the catalog yet, so I'm not even sure what all will be in the exhibit. I wonder if it's the same one you saw in Brussels? It very possibly is.

Visit my blog!
ben41193
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sry for my absence
But agqain this is just me trying to get back ontopic egypt was small it had littl4e if any theature or poems and things of that matter they made technological advances sure but they didnt do anny thing that could compare to roman enginuity. Also they had very llittle philosiphy or astronimy and althought those arent important parts of a scocity it is certantly an atention grabber.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Ben but I couldn't disagree with you more:

Literature: Story of Sinuhe, Tales of Setne Khaemweset, Tale of the eloquent peasant, and there are too many more to even list.

Engineering feats: Pyramids, large temples, dug canals, created irrigation systems to use the floodwaters of the nile more effectively, etc.

Astronomy: They were familiar with the movements of the star Sirius and it seems clear that some of the planning of their buildings was based on astronomical measurements, there is an inscription of a Zodiak in the temple of Dendera which shows they had extensive knowledge of the night sky, etc.

Philosophy: There are quite a few wisdom texts dating all the way back to the Old Kingdom (Maxims of Ptahhotep to mention one.)

You really should read up a bit more before you jump to all these conclusions Wink Just because you have not found the info doesn't mean it's not there.

Besides, why the insistance on being so negative? Why don't you focus on what you love so much, and do it without putting down another culture? I don't see why you have to keep making these negative remarks about egypt? Can't you enjoy the splendor that was Rome without maligning another culture? It seems that it would be way more fun to think about what the Romans did well, then on what you think the Egyptians did poorly.

Rome has a very rich history as well and there must be enough fascinating material dealing with their history and culture to last you a lifetime Smile
VBadJuJu
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:

Engineering feats: Pyramids, large temples, dug canals, created irrigation systems to use the floodwaters of the nile more effectively, etc.

Oh dear! pyramids are not egyptian! They were built by aliens with cosmic enegy! Everyone knows that! Dont you watch Stargate??

(Just kidding, by the way)

I would add big tall obelisks to the list. They must have been as hard as pyraminds to quarry, move, inscribe and then raise without breaking them.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Yes Stargate is one of my favorite shows. I don't have cable, but I do have seassons 1-7 on DVD Very Happy (Not kidding about that)
They are great documentaries, aren't they? (Okay, now I am kidding)

Forgot about the obelisks. That was quite a feat to chisel those out, transport them over water and then get them in the right spot.

There are also inscriptions showing the transport of massive statues. Took quite a bit of manpower, not to mention ingenuity.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anneke: Just so you know, Stargate Season 8 is coming out on disk October 4 at Amazon. Check out the boxed set link on the top-left side of this page: http://www.sg1archive.com/

It's always nice to meet a fellow Stargate fan. Speaking of which, it's Friday night and Stargate will be coming on the tube in about 6 minutes! Very Happy

ben41193 wrote:
Quote:
...they made technological advances sure but they didnt do anny thing that could compare to roman enginuity.

Just remember, ben, that Egypt far predates Rome. Through almost all of Egyptian history the Roman Empire had not yet even existed. True, the Romans were more technologically advanced than the Egyptians, but they came along a lot later. More to the point, the Romans were much like the Borg of Star Trek fame (in keeping with the SciFi theme with which I started this post Very Happy ): they took much of their technology and culture from the Greeks and Etruscans and others.

And that includes the Egyptians, if peripherally. The Egyptians had many firsts in architecture--for instance, the arch (which many people incorrectly attribute to the Romans). The Egytpians were also highly advanced mathematically and perfected principles that peoples like the Greeks would later build on. As far as religion goes, many Greeks, including none other than Herodotus, believed their gods came from the deities of ancient Egypt. That wasn't really true, but up until recent times most people believed Egypt was the foundation of civilization (the Sumerians were actually first, but no one knew much about them until later).

I need not go into much depth because anneke already pointed out many fine examples. I will add that the Egyptians wrote much of their finest literature during the Middle Kingdom, about 4000 years ago. It's just that Egyptian literature is not nearly as well attested in today's literary world as Greek and Roman literature. You have to be a real Egyptophile to discover the richness of Egyptian literature.

Also bear in mind that although Egypt never reached the sort of massive empire status that Rome did (and the Romans do not hold the record for the largest, by the way), they did last far longer as a state and as a civilization than any society from the past to the present. Wink

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
Anneke: Just so you know, Stargate Season 8 is coming out on disk October 4 at Amazon. Check out the boxed set link on the top-left side of this page: http://www.sg1archive.com/

It's always nice to meet a fellow Stargate fan. Speaking of which, it's Friday night and Stargate will be coming on the tube in about 6 minutes! Very Happy

Very Happy Great! I was wondering if and when season 8 would come out on DVD.

I guess we will hear from you after you had your Stargate fix? Laughing
I'm watching season 7 tonight for the fun of it. Took out the last 2 episodes...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: