Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SET!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: SET!!! Reply with quote

Ok, now I would like to discuss the villain, the bad-boy of ancient Egyptian religion...
In my opinion I don't like him much, he scares me *shudders*, to me he's a terrifying stormy chaotic god, he murdered Osiris and did some quite nasty things to horus I think...but some people believe that he wasn't evil, but that he was 'misunderstood'.
I saw one site with a totally new and re-written story of Isis and Osiris-written from Set's perspective, and this portrays Isis and Osiris as the real enemy, and in this one the author makes out that Horus and Set actually 'loved' each other. Is this true, despite them being related and being worst enemies?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"misunderstood"?

Maybe he had a bad childhood?

I did always wonder why Seti and SethNakhte (19th and 20th dynasty kings) were named after him.

I did read somewhere that if Seth had not performed those dastardly deeds, there would not have been the resurrection of Osiris and Osiris would not have been god of the underworld.

In some sense then Seth played a large role in establishing the religious order.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I said misunderstood, I meant that some people think that he isn't evil, but necessary to the Egyptian religion...intersting theory you have there concerning Osiris...
As for a bad childhood, didn't he rip himself out of Nut's womb?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting how someone can go from the evil one in the pantheon, to being accepted.
I didn't know about the being ripped out of the womb part. Sounds gruesome.

I was reading up on the whole myth concerning Osiris, Isis, Seth and Horus. It's a pretty long and complicated story. Do you know if the myth changed in some subtle way (or maybe not so subtle) over the years?

(I was joking about the misunderstood part. Smile )
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that Set was accepted before, in the early dynasties, and then he became unaccepted. but I'm not sure if that's true...
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found something on the internet showing that Set was at first a patron deity of Lower Egypt, then transformed into a god of evil. In later times he reverted back to the older form, where he was a god of the desert and protector against foreigners.

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-63448/egymyth.htm#set

Quote:
In earliest times, Set was the patron deity of Lower (Northern) Egypt, and represented the fierce storms of the desert whom the Lower Egyptians sought to appease. However, when Upper Egypt conquered Lower Egypt and ushered in the First Dynasty, Set became known as the evil enemy of Horus (Upper Egypt's dynastic god).

Set was the brother of Osiris, Isis, and Nephthys, and husband of the latter; according to some versions of the myths he is also father of Anubis.

Set is best known for murdering his brother and attempting to kill his nephew Horus; Horus, however, managed to survive and grew up to avenge his father's death by establishing his rule over all Egypt, castrating Set, and casting him out into the lonely desert for all time.

In the 19th Dynasty there began a resurgence of respect for Set, and he was seen as a great god once more, the god who benevolently restrained the forces of the desert and protected Egypt from foreigners.
almostascribe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

later he rode the chariot with horus and helped to fight apophis
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought he lost the battle with Horus, and then travelled in Ra's boat as the god of thunder?
almostascribe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oppps i mean Ra not horus .....
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm.. i think Seth isnt evill.. he is chaos.. but not.. evil.. theres something about him that im drawn to.. but i like bad boys so.. haha! anyway.. I think Seti and them were named after him.. because .. well i remember reading once someone commenting on a set child .. which is a person with red hair.. and the person was upset becasuse set was bad or something.. but the response was that.. To have a god like Seth watch over you you are in a great protection and under less scrutiny.. which i can understand because hed help you.. and let you be diverse.. perhaps you dont and wont see it like i do.. .. hell i dunno what im saying anymore.
Thoth
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
later he rode the chariot with horus and helped to fight apophis

I was under the impression that this was Set's original job, but he ended up doing his own thing and causing, well, the Chaos that he then became associated with. Is that not right?[/quote]
"I stand like Horus. I sit like Ptah. I am strong like Thoth. Mighty like Tem. I walk with my legs. I speak with my mouth. I chase my enemy. He hath been given unto me, and he shall not be delivered from me."
Egyptian Book of the Dead
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just first would like to say HI!! Very Happy all, my first time at this forum.
Set, Lord (chief or chieftain) of the Upper Kingdom was thought to have been born in Naqada, and along with Horus, was connected with kingship. The contendings of Horus and Set are thought to have been a representation of an actual battle in pre dynastic times between followers of Horus (order) and the followers of Seth (chaos).
I think he is necessary for the Egyptians idea of balance in the world - order verses chaos. Without chaos the world would stagnate, without chaos there would be no change or renewal.
By the later dynasties - around 26th I think, red haired, red eyed Set became denigrated as 'evil'. Red being the colour of the desert and therefore death. By christian times he had becomed horned, fire breathing and called satan - a final unwaranted disgrace.
As for Seti, I believed using the name Set would not only invoke his protection but also his strength and virility in the hope of being a sucessful leader. Just as the armies of Amose 'swept like a great wind' and defeated the Hyksos, so Seti requested that power for himself.
Right I've prattled on for long enough Wink cheers everyone
Thoth
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, esp. the points on Set being the balance of order->chaos.

And greetings Exclamation
"I stand like Horus. I sit like Ptah. I am strong like Thoth. Mighty like Tem. I walk with my legs. I speak with my mouth. I chase my enemy. He hath been given unto me, and he shall not be delivered from me."
Egyptian Book of the Dead
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thankyou Thoth sunny
I'll have to find myself a cool signature quote too thumbright
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Sesen.. Smile reading your stuff i have learnt a lot thanks.. i hope do be able to debate topics with you in the future..

Serena

P.S. look everyone i tried to be polite!! Very Happy lol .. im usually not.. just as a warning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: