Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello ... I'm Rozette

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Hello ... I'm Rozette Reply with quote

Hello, so I'm Rozette and I'm from Belgium
I'm very interesed in the Amarna Period. I visited this forum a few times as guest, and now I have registered here, because I want to discuss the things I have seen in the museum of Bohn. The well-known Tutankhamun exhibition ... "Das Goldene Jenseits", and that is now in America.
Has anyone allready been to there? ...
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Rozette, welcome to Egyptian Dreams Very Happy

I think you have a jump on most of us in having seen the exhibit in Bonn.
I'm waiting for the exhibit to make it to Chicago. But I am very familiar with the Amarna period and the artifacts from that time period.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your impressions of the exhibit, the artifacts and any comments you may have.
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board Smile
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Anneke,
It gives a good feeling when you see Tutankhamun 's personel things as his little ivory jewellery box, the small statue shrine. I saw it so many times in my books, the scenes on the shrine have one commen thing : the king and queen as man and wife. His blue glass headrest , a cosmetic dish in the shape of a duck , a silver with gold trumpet, his small game board in ivory. One of my favourite things I saw was a cartouche shaped box in reddish wood. His childhood throne with footrest , I can hardly believe I saw it with my own eyes . His jewellery, a golden dagger with granule, his crook and flail, his falcon collar , his diadem and many funerary figurines in wood, faience ands limestone painted.The most wonderful thing was his viscera coffin, I believe that his name was inserted later, they contained another name. There was also a brown quartzite head of Nefertiti , the one that was found in Memphis. From the reign of Amenhotep III there was a unguent spoon in the shape of a swimming girl. From the tomb of Yuya and Tuyu , the chair of Princess Satumun, the canopic chest of Tuyu and her Mask and coffin, she was perfect there are no words for . There where also things from the reign of Amenhotep II , a model boat, with beautiful colours like turquoise and ochre.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To go one, the first thing I saw when I enter the exhibition room was a black granite statue of Thutmosis IV and his mother Tiaa. One of my favourite statues was the statuette of the god Ptah, coverd with reddish gold leaf shows the god in his traditional costume : his body completely enclosed in a tight feather garment . This exhibition is one of the best I ever saw. A couple of years ago I have been to Leiden to see Pharaos of the Sun , a very good exhibition , there I saw the little wooden head of Queen Tyi and the heads of the daughters of the Amarna couple. In Paris I have been to the exhibition of L'art Ć©gyptien au temps des pyramides and in Brussels to the exhibition of Les artistes de Pharaon , Deir el -Medina and the Valley of the Kings .
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are lucky to have made it to so many great exhibits!

I was in Leiden in May and the museum in and of itself is great. I only have the book that goes with the Pharaohs of the Sun exhibit. It was published by the Boston Museum if I remember correctly. There are some really marvelous objects in the book as well.

It must be wonderful to see these objects up close. It's already nice to view the artifacts displayed in any good museum, but these special collections just put so many great artifacts together and show the objects in context.

Whenever I see the items from this time period I am struck by the beautiful artworks they are. The craftsmanship is just amazing.

I thought it was interesting to read about the discoverey of the tomb of Amenemone in Saqqara. He was the head goldsmith from roughly the time of Tutankhamen and it is possible that he created some of the masterpieces we are familiar with today.
I think his tomb was thoroughly robbed in antiquity, but it would be interesting to see what such a master of the craft would have taken to the grave himself Smile
Saleyer
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Rozette, welcome here. I am interested in the Amarna period too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Say Hello All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: