Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Packing for January visit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
honeymoon
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Packing for January visit Reply with quote

Going to Egypt in January for 12 days.
Need some ideas for packing - taking the traditional tour of Cairo and cruising the Nile.
Need ideas for what type of clothes to pack - 27 year old female.

Any other "must" takes - ie binoculars, medicine.

Can't wait!
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been to Egypt but some suggestions gleaned from the forum, and common sense:

Suncream (preferably a high factor depending on how you burn)
Antibacterial handwipes or hand gel
A hat/cap and good quality sunglasses
A portable water filter, if possible-or buy lots of bottled water when there
Maybe a guidebook?
Camera, obviously.

Apparently, if you're female, despite the heat, you shouldn't wear skimpy summery clothes (religious reasons, out of respect)-so no trousers/pants shorter than above the ankle, no sleeveless tops (t-shirts are ok, I think), no short dresses or skirts...the rules are more relaxed for men, I think. Get cotton or linen clothes as those are light and cool.
Some good walking shoes/trainers/sneakers are good for all the walking, something comfy for feet, as I think sandals would be a bit too uncomfortable.
Money...and quite a lot of it. Tips are demanded by almost everyone, I've heard. And spending a bit of it on souvenirs is always good-just don't get ripped off, try to haggle!
Not sure what injections are needed for Egypt.
Take lots of Imodium! And DON'T DRINK THE WATER!!!
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I am so jealous and happy for you!

If you haven't already sorted about vaccines ask your doctor, but it could be too late to start them. I had mine 6 months before I left and then a boost.

Whatever you do don't go without at least reading or buying a Lonely Planet Guide. They are fantastic books and it was our bible - we could not have done without it, but we were independant travellers for half the time. You will have a tour guide so they will be a great source of info once your there.

It will still be cool at nights and mornings there and warmer in the days - so take one good jumper. I use wool, can't beat it. Perhaps a light jacket too. Clothes, like Isis said, its best to keep the shorts, skirts and singlets at home. I took jeans, T shirts, a looser cotton blouse type thing and bought some lovely scarves over there to cover my arms or head if it was necessary. It just not showing too much chest and upper arms really. Some woman don't give a damn but its disrespectful as visitors to someone elses country; and covering up a bit for a while wasn't a hardship for me. Those scarves are also great for keeping the sun off.

I did a huge amount of reading web sites and travel logs from other people. Good fun and so very very helpful.
Some of the sites I still have bookmarked:
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/destinations/africa/egypt/ Lonely Planets web site.

http://www.imaginative-traveller.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi
This is the forum connected to the tour group we started out with. Has some very handy info.

http://www.magicaljourneys.com/Egypt/Interest/egypt-interest-traveltales.html A few travel logs, but there are loads more if you Google search.

http://www.touregypt.net/index.htm Tour Egypt have a lot of travel info also.

There's a portion of my travel stories in this thread here

Arrow But the very most important thing to pack.... is a well developed sense of humour Laughing

Have a wonderful time and I'd love to hear how you get on Very Happy
honeymoon
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Return from Egypt Reply with quote

Well, we've just arrived home from our honeymoon in Egypt.
We booked with Insight Vacations run by Springs Tours in Egypt.

FANTASTIC!!! Not to be biased but for sure the best tour run out of Egypt. We were on the Wonders of Egypt tour where we spent 2 nights in Cairo, flew to Luxor to board our 4-night cruise which arrived in Aswan. Then we took the optional tour to Abu Simbel (Highly recommend!) and then back to Cairo for another 2 nights before heading home.

Our guide was Walid and he was great! No language barrier problems at all and his knowledge was phenomenal.

My initial post was on packing... ladies, do not worry about being "conservative". Anything goes! I was nervous about clothes but I wore capris and short sleeved shirts almost everyday. In the winter (ie NOW) take a jacket/sweater/jumper. It got chilly in the evenings and first thing in the morning. Never had to cover up to enter temples.

Vendors - aka demanding men. Edfu was by far the worst . My husband hated it, and I also felt uncomfortable at times. Just be open-minded and go with the flow. Don't settle for their prices.

Our trip was an ultimate good time. Would recommend it to anyone of any age! Food was great - never worried about "dirty" food as everything was prepared with bottle water and we were given bottles and bottles of water - I'm very much sick of water. I would suggest taking tang or other juice crystals to make it a little more tastier.

loved every minute and would go back....but there are other places we want to experience first....italy....rome....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Travel All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: