Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bugs, Spiders, Scorpions etc
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saleyer
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Bugs, Spiders, Scorpions etc Reply with quote

Moderator's Remark

This topic was split off from the Serpentssss thread in the Mythology section.

I like snakes, black ones. Especially cobra. lol,don't freak out now, I just...like the. Laughing
In paganism, snakes are not evil. Cobras, serpents, all kinds of snakes are used as symbols and have so many meanings, lol, I can't even remember right now.. Let me think.. the only meaning or interpretation of a snake that came to my mind right now is "intuition, inner wisdom".
The snake was a symbol of Isis (Aset) too, and the Ancient symbol of the planet X (Marduk/Nibiru).
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, spiders are arachnids and scarabs (dung beetles) are insects, you can mainly tell the difference my the number of legs (spiders-8 and insects-6). I like scarabs too, I like all types of bugs, they are so fascinating! The scarabs in the movie were much bigger than real ones, oh, and real ones don't crawl under your skin and eat you alive. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kind of disappointed the first time I saw an actual dung beetle. It was very small. Butu I'm hardly an entomologist, so maybe some varieties get a lot bigger. However, I think it's safe to say none of them eat people from the inside-out!

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniella wrote:
Quote:
The scarabs in the movie were much bigger than real ones, oh, and real ones don't crawl under your skin and eat you alive.

kmt_sesh wrote:
Quote:
It was very small. Butu I'm hardly an entomologist, so maybe some varieties get a lot bigger. However, I think it's safe to say none of them eat people from the inside-out!

See the simlilarities, do you even read my posts, kmt_sesh? Laughing
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL And somehow he manages to use twice as many words?

(Sorry kmt-sesh, couldn't resist...)
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!! It's funny 'cuz it's true! Laughing
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetles are cute! Well, not cockroaches, but scarabs are harmless little things that don't eat flesh, they eat poo! Don't you just love Egyptian religion? They believed the sun was a giant ball of glowing s*** being rolled across the sky by a beetle. Laughing
The insects I don't like are wasps, cockroaches, mozzies and flies...well flies don't bother me as much as the stinging biting insects. I don't mind bees though. Is it true that there is an Egyptian necklace with fly shaped charms on it? I don't like spiders at all. But the Egyptians liked scorpions, didn't they? I don't...ick!

I would be terrified if I ever saw a poisonous snake in the wild though! Don't cobras spit poison at you as well as bite you?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniella wrote:
Quote:
See the simlilarities, do you even read my posts, kmt_sesh?

anneke wrote:
Quote:
LOL And somehow he manages to use twice as many words?

Daniella wrote:
Quote:
LOL!! It's funny 'cuz it's true!

And poor picked-on kmt_sesh responds:
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But no one responded to my question. Any bug experts out there? How BIG can a dung beetle get? The examples I've seen are just the right size for the bottom of one's boot.

Oh, sorry about that. Okay, I believe that the largest dung beetle is the African Giant Dung Beetle, from the family Coleoptera (sounds like Cleopatra hehe). They can get up to 57mm in length and 33mm wide. Their wingspan can get up to a whopping 135mm and their brood balls in which the larvae develope can get up to 103mm in diameter (holy s***!) no pun intented.
Quote:
And now you may proceed to make fun of me for writing too much about golden flies!

Okay....................HAHA Did you see how much kmt_sesh wrote about golden flies?!!?!? I mean, like we really read it!!!! Laughing I'm only teasing, you know the score.
That's really cool that they represented alot of things with living creatures instead if some stupid made up symbol, I mean, they are symbols too, but they were inspired by real living creatures, with real characteristics and such, so it makes the award alot more meaningful because it shows what the warrior is actually being awarded for, you know?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh, sorry about that. Okay, I believe that the largest dung beetle is the African Giant Dung Beetle, from the family Coleoptera (sounds like Cleopatra hehe). They can get up to 57mm in length and 33mm wide. Their wingspan can get up to a whopping 135mm and their brood balls in which the larvae develope can get up to 103mm in diameter (holy s***!) no pun intented.

I thought at first that you had written Cleopatra. I know little to nothing about insects, so even if you had written it, I wouldn't have known the difference. I would have just figured that the great Maecodian pharaoh had a crap-eating bug named after her--what an honor!

Another thing about which I know nothing is the metric system. This is something from which many Americans suffer, I'm afraid. So I used a handy conversion scale to figure out the measurements you provided, and here they are in U.S. inches (rounded off):

57mm in length = 2.25 in
33mm in width = 1.3 in
135mm wingspan = 5.3 in!
103mm poopy ball = 4 in

That is a big bug, especially that wing span. I think I would step out of its way. Nice size ball of do-do, too--I had always imagined a smaller sphere of dung.

This is something I can use with my work at the museum, so thanks a lot, Daniella! You're a sweatheart. Loved that dung-beetle photo, by the way. I'd like to see a person roll a ball of poop that round, if one were so inclined. Shocked

Quote:
Okay....................HAHA Did you see how much kmt_sesh wrote about golden flies?!!?!? I mean, like we really read it!!!! I'm only teasing, you know the score.

That's precisely what I'm always worried about. Way to play into my insecurities, Daniella!

I'm just going to go roll up into a ball on the floor and lay there shaking for a while.

geek tard geek tard

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is something I can use with my work at the museum, so thanks a lot, Daniella!

No problem! I think I know more about the animal kingdom than ancient Egypt. So iff anybody has questions, I am the one to ask. Smile
Quote:
Another thing about which I know nothing is the metric system. This is something from which many Americans suffer, I'm afraid.

Really? I didn't know that, I just figured that you could do a rough estimate in your head since there are 10mm in a 1cm and about 2.5cm in an inch, I don't know. I'm sorry that you are an American, it's okay though, it's not your fault, eh? Laughing I'm totally kidding.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No problem! I think I know more about the animal kingdom than ancient Egypt. So iff anybody has questions, I am the one to ask.

I was able to use some of it today at the museum, Daniella. For instance, I mentioned the wingspan of that scarab to a girl who was about 12 and watched her shudder and turn green. I think she was picturing one of them duve-bombing her head, judging from the way she looked. It was fun. Very Happy

Quote:
Really? I didn't know that, I just figured that you could do a rough estimate in your head since there are 10mm in a 1cm and about 2.5cm in an inch, I don't know. I'm sorry that you are an American, it's okay though, it's not your fault, eh? I'm totally kidding.

Honestly, I'm about as poor at mathematics as a person can be, and this milimeter/inch stuff is all mathematical, so I'm doomed from the start. I'm sure there are plenty of Americans who have a handle on the metric system. I remember driving once in Canada and was very grateful my car had a KPH scale or I wouldn't have had any idea how fast to go. Shocked

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was able to use some of it today at the museum, Daniella.

Good, I'm glad to hear that. And to think, someone once told me it was all useless information.
Quote:
For instance, I mentioned the wingspan of that scarab to a girl who was about 12 and watched her shudder and turn green. I think she was picturing one of them duve-bombing her head, judging from the way she looked.

Awww, poor thing. Laughing Me, I would love to get to hold one of them, I love bugs, and snakes, they are so interesting.
Quote:
I'm sure there are plenty of Americans who have a handle on the metric system.

Oh for sure, like Anneke for example. Smile
Quote:
I remember driving once in Canada and was very grateful my car had a KPH scale or I wouldn't have had any idea how fast to go.

Oh, that would have been funny if your car didn't have one, eh? Laughing
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that it's the smaller scorpions that are deadlier than the big ones-apparently the big ones have stings similar in magnitude to bee stings, and that the most poisonous scorpions are pretty tiny.

This topic has switched completely from snakes to bugs. I'm surprised that camel spiders *shudder* haven't been mentioned. Oh dear, now I've mentioned it. That's one of the few things putting me off going to Egypt...
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that camel spiders *shudder* haven't been mentioned. Oh dear, now I've mentioned it.

Good grief! That's a new one on me. Where did you hear about those and what are they?
I can take spiders--as long as they remain far away--preferrably outside! When they get in the house, I whip out the vaccum, attach the looooong extension, and nab the little sucker!
My greatest fear is having on on the ceiling in the bedroom and having it fall on me while I'm in bed asleep. (Shudder!!!!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: