Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some Pictures of Mummies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Some Pictures of Mummies Reply with quote

Moderator's note:
Split off from another topic

I love looking at mummies, do you think you could post some pictures of them?
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a creepy picture Very Happy

For a good look at mummies, there's no better site that the Theban Royal Mummy Project. There's a page called the mummy locator:
http://members.tripod.com/anubis4_2000/Bookmarks.htm

You can click on any of the names listed on that page and find pictures and descriptions of your favorite mummy. Some are a fright to look at.... Laughing

then again some others are quite nicely preserved.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniella wrote:
Quote:
I love looking at mummies, do you think you could post some pictures of them?

Careful now. Don't encourage me too much or I'll end up showing bundles of Field photos at ED! But I can provide several examples. Our most popular mummy is a Late Period man named Harwa who died at about age 60. Harwa was a dookeeper at the Temple of Amun. He is remarkably well preserved, as his unwrapped head attests:

Our only fully unwrapped mummy on display is that of a boy between 10 and 12 years of age at death. His coffin is lost so we know no personal information about him, but he as well is very well preserved:

Then there's Minhotep, probably our oldest artificially mummified body on display. She probably lived near the end of the New Kingdom, about 3100 years ago. She's a tricky one because her body was destroyed probably soon after burial, and then rewrapped in Ptolemaic times. So she bears the style of a Greek-Period mummy but is considerably older than that. She's also interesting because X-rays revealed she's only half there: from the waist down her body is complete, but everything from the waist up is just straw stuffing:

Lastly (for now?) is my favorite piece in our collection, the inner cartonnage coffin of a woman named Chenet-aa. She lived in the 22nd Dynasty (Third Intermediate Period), and her mummy is still inside this case. To my knowledge it's never been X-rayed, but regardless of how well-preserved this wealthy woman's body may be, it's not going to be as beautiful as her spectacular cartonnage case:

anneke wrote:
Quote:
For a good look at mummies, there's no better site that the Theban Royal Mummy Project. There's a page called the mummy locator

Another gem brought to us by the Mistress of the Links. I wasn't aware of this site, anneke. It's a great one. I always enjoy seeing photos of the mummy of Ramesses I (if indeed it is him). Not bad, going from a freak show at a defunct museum at Niagra Falls back to his homeland in Egypt...and into the ubiquitous glass display case. I think he's now on display at the museum in Luxor.

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Careful now. Don't encourage me too much or I'll end up showing bundles of Field photos at ED!

I love those mummies kmt_sesh and I will incourage you because I would love to see more pictures. Very Happy
Now, the one of the young boy, I think I've seen somewhere but thought it was a little girl and she was covered in gold leafing, I don't know, I could be wrong.
And the third photo didn't work, perhaps you could provide the url instead.
And I absolutely love the last one (the coffin of Chenet-aa). It is so beautifully painted! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And the third photo didn't work, perhaps you could provide the url instead.

Wow, Minhotep did disappear, didn't she? She was there when I first posted her. Well, let's give her another chance:

If this doesn't work and she's still too bashful for some reason, try this link to my Photobucket page. Don't you just hate it when mummies escape? I tell little kids at the museum not to touch or tap on the glass because it might wake up the mummies. Twisted Evil

I don't think the little boy mummy about whom you asked appears in any of the literature, to my knowledge. I've seen photos of Field Museum mummies in some books, but never one of him. It's sad that his coffin is missing because we don't know anything personal about him, but his deformed right foot and withered right leg reveal that he had polio or cerebral palsy or perhaps just a club foot, and his hands are clearly quite arthritic. This poor little guy had a hard life.

The coffin of little Padi-Amun and its body, on the other hand, have been mentioned in the literature. Here's a photo of his coffin and an X-ray of it (from around 1920) that we display in the case to the left of it:

This is a coffin from early in the Third Intermediate Period. Look closely at the skeleton in the X-ray and you can see both arms are missing. Look closer and you can see both legs are fractured low on the femurs (i.e., just above the knees), and that the lower legs have been shoved into the shafts of the upper legs. This body was forced to fit into the coffin. The damage to the body is post mortem; the boy probably died of disease, not trauma. The bones tell us he was about 5 or 6 when he died. The coffin tells us the name is Padi-Amun, but that's probably not Padi-Amun's body. This is most likely a coffin stolen by a poor family for the sake of their deceased son.

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I tell little kids at the museum not to touch or tap on the glass because it might wake up the mummies.

Laughing I can just imagine their faces when you tell them that! I love it!
Quote:
I don't think the little boy mummy about whom you asked appears in any of the literature, to my knowledge.

Oh, I could've sworn I saw the words 'goldengirlmummy' pertaining to this picture, I don't know It could've been a dream. Lately I've been confusing my dreams with my awake life, it's weird, I think I'm going insane.
That's so sad about the 5 year old boy, that's waaaaaay too young to go.
Couldn't the parents have just made him a properly fitting coffin instead of stealing one? That's just so wrong. I mean I have seen coffins made from just simple papyrus reed stems.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh, I could've sworn I saw the words 'goldengirlmummy' pertaining to this picture, I don't know It could've been a dream.

Maybe you picked that up from my Mummy Feng Shui post. In that post I had a link for a Field Museum mummy of a 2nd Century CE, Roman-Period girl whose elaborate plaster death mask is covered with sheet gold. When you click the link to bring up her photo the words "GoldenGirlMummy" are in the web address, so that's probably where you saw it. Relax, you're still sane for now. Very Happy Here she is again:

Quite beautiful, isn't she? This little girl belonged to a wealthy family, I think it's safe to say.

Quote:
Couldn't the parents have just made him a properly fitting coffin instead of stealing one? That's just so wrong. I mean I have seen coffins made from just simple papyrus reed stems.

I get that question all the time when I'm explaining the little coffin to museum visitors. And there are certainly plenty of mummies that have been found bundled inside simple reed or box-like coffins. But remember that to the Egyptians a coffin was much more than just a container to house a corpse. Covered with funerary prayers and depictions of deities, these coffins helped to provide a safe and eternal afterlife to the beloved, justified dead. That's how the ancients saw it.

We have a similar mismatched coffin made for a Third Intermediate Period priest (a man), but it contains the mummy of an adult woman:

Her name was Djed-iu-mutes-ankh; her loved ones painted it onto the coffin. You can't really see it too well in this photo but her body is much too small for this coffin--the exact opposite of Padi-Amun. In fact, the curators have Djed-iu-mutes-ankh propped up by a wooden block under her feet so she'll rest in a more stable upright position for vieiwing. This is one of my favorite coffins in our exhibit; behind it (out of view here) is the lid, and it is beautiful.

Coffin stealing was fairly common. You used what you could find and, if necessary, made the body of your loved one fit accordingly. This was especially the case in the Third Intermediate Period, when Djed-iu-mutes-ankh lived and died, and in fact in this period it was common to use older tombs to house the dead--communal burials were frequently carried out in this manner.

Visit my blog!
Shepenmut
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took these on Monay enjoy! Very Happy

kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice photographs, Shepenmut. Which museum was this? Coffins are a special interest of mine, and many of these would appear to be from the Third Intermediate Period (that red stola, for instance, on the center coffin of the three in the second photo, would date it to late Dynasty 21). Do you know anything about these coffins you could tell us about? And thanks for sharing the photos.

Visit my blog!
Shepenmut
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
Very nice photographs, Shepenmut. Which museum was this? Coffins are a special interest of mine, and many of these would appear to be from the Third Intermediate Period (that red stola, for instance, on the center coffin of the three in the second photo, would date it to late Dynasty 21). Do you know anything about these coffins you could tell us about? And thanks for sharing the photos.

These mummies come from the Metropolitan museum of art that where I took the pics they have a whole room filled with coffins my fav is the last one. faroah
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
These mummies come from the Metropolitan museum of art that where I took the pics they have a whole room filled with coffins my fav is the last one.

You have good taste--that's a beautiful coffin. I want to say it's also Third Intermediate Period (particularly Dynasty 21 or Dynasty 22) but I can't see it clearly enough to know for sure. This is the time when nearly every square inch of the coffin was covered with vignettes of deities and magical inscriptions.

I've never been to the Met but have always wanted to see their Egyptian collection. It's probably the largest in the United States. You're lucky to have been able to go there. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
Smenkare
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee when I went to the Met I thought their Egyptian collection was quite dissapointing. Pehaps they have put more artifacts on exhibit now. But when I went, there was really no all that much out. Sad
Shepenmut
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smenkare wrote:
Gee when I went to the Met I thought their Egyptian collection was quite dissapointing. Pehaps they have put more artifacts on exhibit now. But when I went, there was really no all that much out. Sad

From what I know some items are moved or put away then put back out for display again. Wink
Shepenmut
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
Quote:
These mummies come from the Metropolitan museum of art that where I took the pics they have a whole room filled with coffins my fav is the last one.

You have good taste--that's a beautiful coffin. I want to say it's also Third Intermediate Period (particularly Dynasty 21 or Dynasty 22) but I can't see it clearly enough to know for sure. This is the time when nearly every square inch of the coffin was covered with vignettes of deities and magical inscriptions.

I've never been to the Met but have always wanted to see their Egyptian collection. It's probably the largest in the United States. You're lucky to have been able to go there. Very Happy

Cool the next time I go will remember to write down the mummy name and dynasty.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be good, Shepenmut. I know I'd like to learn more about some of the coffins you showed us. They're very nice pieces. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mummification All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: