Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The faces of AE royalty in a modern world

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: The faces of AE royalty in a modern world Reply with quote

A photographic catalouge showing the mummies of the Kings and Queens from New Kingdom Egypt as they are today.

http://www.perankhgroup.com/the_royal_mummies%20portraits.htm
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best websites I know about the royal mummies is the Theban Royal Mummy Project by Max Miller

http://anubis4_2000.tripod.com/mummypages1/introduction.htm

The website mentioned by Chris is really interesting in the way that the mummies are contrasted to known images and reconstructions.

I think some of the identities are not quite as certain as one may think looking at the page. Queen Tetisheri for instance is one suggested identification for Unknown Woman B. But some are sticking with Unknown Woman B as the way describe her.

Similarly the Screaming Man mummy has been suggested to be Pentawere, but that cannot be proven directly. All the arguments for that identification are circumstantial and somewhat speculative I think.
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the site chris mentioned got creepy in the 21st dynasty. black and white photos showed closed eyes on the mummies and then the colour ones had open eyes. way creepy.

i also noticed the new colour photo's of 'thutmose I' were not of the mummy i thought 'thutmose I' was originally identified by.

an artist called winifred burton in the 1920's did some paintings of the mummies, the rammesides look really good, but the ones she did on the 18th dynasty don't always resemble the pharaohs. she used the mummy and known sculpture to get it right though.
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure where the author of this web site got the idea that the color photo of that mummy might be Thutmose I. There was an unidentified mummy found in the Valley of the Kings who Hawass thought might be Thutmose I--I don't know if this is the mummy. I know that some have suggested that Seti II might actually be one of the early Thutmosids (probably Thutmose II) but that's not Seti II.

The mummy that the site's author identifies as Pinudjem I bears a certain resemblance to Thutmose II but he also has his arms in an extended position and not the royal crossed arm position that an 18th Dynasty king would have sported.

It's an interesting idea though putting the actual mummy next to his or her portrait both ancient and modern.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: