Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Was Ahkenaten Murdered?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nefertiti
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Was Ahkenaten Murdered? Reply with quote

A thought occurred to me last week......That Ahkenaten was murdered. And that it was Nefertiti who did it.

Any thoughts on this?
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nefertiti was such an unusally powerful woman, I truely don't imagine her killing her husband, there are plenty more compelling suspects if murder was afoote. Akhenatens mummy has not been found and there is not even conclusive evidence that his tomb had even been used. He is described in 19th dynasty documents as 'the fallen one of Armana', 'the heretic'. Some officials continued dating events to the beginning of his reign even though it was apparent he was no longer king. Quite an enigma!
Nefertiti
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Nef was an unsually woman", would be a reason unto it's self to get rid of Ak. Even more so if his insanity was getting worse and he was no longer controllable by her.

I personally don't think she ever believed the Aten religion the old nutter came up with.....I mean look at how fast she changed it back the minute he was gone.
almostascribe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Nefertiti disappeared from history before the death of Akhenaten
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm i dont think she did kill him.. only because she didnt have the influence with the next guy that she did with him..
Ajaya
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read on the subject a number of theories can be formulated from the many fragments of evidence.

Most notably, at least IMO, a plague swept thru the Near East at that time and possibley spread down into Egypt. I think Redford in one of his books suggested that at least three (maybe even four) of Akhenaten's daughters succumbed to the plague. Maybe this is the closest we'll come to knowing what actually happened to the king himself!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Nefertiti disappeared from the scene in roughly year 12. Isn't this the time she (according to some) took on the role of co-regent?

I did hear that a plague swept through the area and decimated the royal family.
Steve
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well Akhnaten had thousands of enemys especialy the priests whos power was taken away from them because of the whole Aten thing. I cant see his beloved wife wasting him though.
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think he just got sick.. and died.. maybe not by plague.. or.. maybe it was a plague.. a plague of PREISTS!! ahahah.. sorry, still at school.. Smile
Steve
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plagues were usually attributed to the anger of the Gods - probably another nail in the coffin of Akhenatens reforms, powerful Amun verses usurper Aten. Amenhotep III had 700 idols of Sekhmet made, a double spell 2 for each day of the year, an effort to ward off the disease taking hold of the area.
Nefertiti does appear to disappear in the 12th year of Akhenatens reign (died or banished), she seems to have failed in an attemp to provide her husband with a suitable heir. Furthermore her daughters produced only 3 more daughters from their marriage to him. She is also portrayed as having attained a high status within the Aten cult, almost on par with Akhenaten - would she have plotted against her husband? Ay certainly changed alliances later, but I believe Nefertiti died during the plague.
Broadway_Babe
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been doing a lot of research on Nefertiti and I think she was the one to come up with the religion thing. I mean, look how she controlled Ak in every other aspect. I also think the reason she changed the religion was to save her own life once she was pharaoh. Just my opinion. They seemed like a happy family and I think after her 2 daughters died, Nefertiti lost it and to keep her sane Ak sent her to some place quiet...then she decided to become co-regerent while she was gone. This whole Shmenkare(sp?) thing, I don't buy for a second. I think it was Nefertiti, the Amon priests were still ticked at her, and killed her, making Tut king.
Yves Van Herp
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tutankhamun was a gift from heaven for the priests. He was very young when he became pharaoh - and still when he died (or was murdered) - and so he could be easily manipulated by the priests.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I believe that Akhenaten was murdered. He reigned for some 18 years. He was not a child when he came to the throne. This may have just been his natural life span.

There are several ancestors of his that did not get too old either: Thutmosis II, Thutmosis IV (his grand-father).

But Tutankhamen was a child-King. There is no official mention of a regent. Wonder who it was though?

They often mention Ay, but the tomb of Maia (Tut's wet nurse) idicates there may have been a council. But no strong evidence of that yet either.
We're awaiting further discoveries it seems.
Yves Van Herp
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Egypt will always have many secrets that need to be discovered. That's one of the reasons it's so fascinating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: