Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Rome-o-philes out there?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Any Rome-o-philes out there? Reply with quote

Our Pompeii exhibit is coming up at the Field in a couple of months and I'm going to be one of the docents for the exhibit. This will be a major one. I have access to plenty of decent books about Pompeii and its history and the Vesuvius eruption, but my knowledge of general Roman history is pretty awful. If it doesn't relate to the Roman Period in ancient Egypt, Rome just hasn't interested me in the past.

I want to be prepared, though, and I'll bet some of you are up on your Roman history. Can anyone recommend a good book or two for a novice, for the sake of background? I'm definitely not looking to build a library here, but I want a better understanding of Pompeii in its context as a Roman city.

Any help is appreciated. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm definitely not looking to build a library here

No, you've done a good enough job doing that with your ancient Egypt books. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No, you've done a good enough job doing that with your ancient Egypt books.

That's exactly it. I'M OUT OF ROOM!

Visit my blog!
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote ktm-sesh : book about Roman History

I have several books about Ancient Rome and ,

Roman Art Romulus to Constantine is one of the best I have.

Nancy Ramage
Andrew Ramage
ISBN : 0 131504878

On this site you will find more information about the book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0130278831/104-9301032-7864713?v=glance
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like an interesting one...comprehensive and well priced. Very Happy I'm putting it on my list but am still looking for a good and concise text on general Roman history that someone might recommend.

Visit my blog!
VBadJuJu
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not a book, but The Modern Scholar has a lecture series on "A History of Ancient Rome" by Prof Frances Tischner. I just listened to it recently (boning up for HBO's _ROME_).

It covers the period from Romulus (The Kings) to Constantine toaking over ca 676 AD. It is not specifically about Pompeii but it covers the colonies (which is what Pompeii was, IIRC) and Roman life in general.

The Teaching Company may also have something similar (and they can be gotten at most decent public libraries -- and on the internet), but I dont know the title. Lots of Science and History lectures between them.

FWIW, The Teaching Company has a good one on Egypt ranging from prehistory to the late Ptolomies, by Brier. It is one of the longer ones I have run into compised of 48 lectures of 30 mins each.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is not a book, but The Modern Scholar has a lecture series on "A History of Ancient Rome" by Prof Frances Tischner. I just listened to it recently (boning up for HBO's _ROME_).

This sounds very interesting, VBadJuJu, and though it doesn't deal with Pompeii, it does cover the sort of general background that interests me. Is it on tape or CD? How does one go about finding it? I'm not very familiar with this sort of medium.

I have gotten numerous mailings from the Teaching Company, though. I have to admit Brier's series on ancient Egypt sounds tempting. I haven't caved in just yet, but by the next mailing they send I just may buy it. It looks to be well-worth the pruchase. Is this similar to how the Modern Scholar lectures work? Sorry to sound so ignorant but I honestly don't know.

Doesn't that Rome series on HBO sound fantastic? I would love to watch it but my cable package doesn't carry HBO. Mad

Visit my blog!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also glad to say that the Pompeii exhibit companion book, Pompeii: Stories from an Eruption, is finally out. I bought my copy of it today and it's a beautiful book. It's a publication of the Field Museum and is not even yet available on the museum's on-line gift shop, and I haven't been able to find it elsewhere on the net. If any of you have an interest in Pompeii, though, and happen to come across a copy of the book somewhere, I think you'd enjoy it. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
VBadJuJu
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:

This sounds very interesting, VBadJuJu, and though it doesn't deal with Pompeii, it does cover the sort of general background that interests me. Is it on tape or CD?

Doesn't that Rome series on HBO sound fantastic? I would love to watch it but my cable package doesn't carry HBO. Mad

They might be on tape, the ones I have gotten from the library were on CD and they come with a "course book" a few illustrations, timelines diagrams etc as appropriate. TMS and TTC are more or the less the same.

My local library has a lot of them on art, literature, history, physics, bios, philosophy, science etc. They show up on usenet a lot too in MP3 format - I load them onto my MP3 player and listen to them on epic bike rides. Nothing like a little mummy talk in your head as you cruise thru the woods.

They dont show up regularly enough that way to be in time for your jamboree, but for general note, look in alt.binaries.mp3.audiobooks and alt.binaries.mp3.audiobooks.highspeed. Every once in a while a whole flood of them will pop up at once.

I have listened to dozens of them and can honestly say that I can only recall one that I didnt like - and that was more in presentation (it was on anthropology and the Oxford type prof liked to trill -- not just roll - his R's. e.g 'The pRrrrrrrrrrrrOgression of the species..." he also had a way of saying travesty that kept distracting me ... tRRRrrrr-ahhh-VES-dee). The very best ones were Egypt (though intro level), Henry VIII, Ancient Rome and The Historical Jesus (I was suprised by one).
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up, VBadJuJu. I'm going to check with my local library just down the street, which is a branch of the monolithic Chicago Public Library. If they can't dig it up for me no one can. Wink

Quote:
(it was on anthropology and the Oxford type prof liked to trill -- not just roll - his R's. e.g 'The pRrrrrrrrrrrrOgression of the species..." he also had a way of saying travesty that kept distracting me ... tRRRrrrr-ahhh-VES-dee)

LOL I'll be sure to avoid that one. Your description gave me quite a laugh. Reminds me of the pretentious, overly dramatic professor type. His manner of speaking is so unusual and/or annoying that you hear not what he's saying but how he's saying it. I know the type.

Then there are the professor types who are brilliant and earnest but can barely speak English. A friend of mine was studying to become a civil engineer and was taking some advanced mathematics course taught by a man from India. They couldn't really understand his very thick accent and were confused about why he kept talking about "mot-balls" ("What are 'mot-balls?' they wondered) until finally someone figured out that he was trying to say "multiples." Laughing

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
Then there are the professor types who are brilliant and earnest but can barely speak English. A friend of mine was studying to become a civil engineer and was taking some advanced mathematics course taught by a man from India. They couldn't really understand his very thick accent and were confused about why he kept talking about "mot-balls" ("What are 'mot-balls?' they wondered) until finally someone figured out that he was trying to say "multiples." Laughing

That reminds me of something my sister brought up. We were talking about me getting back to teaching, and how the surgery and recovery would affect that. Once a long time ago, while on a camping trip, I got so sleep deprived that I actually reverted to speaking Dutch with an American friend. I didn't realize something was wrong until I noticed this really puzzled look on her face after I said something Laughing
So when I was talking to my sister about how in class we end up working pretty intensely and we look at people's body language to help us establish if what we are saying is getting across. And when you talk to students you have to try to figure out what it is that they are thinking so that you can find out exactly where their understanding is breaking down.
My sis then quipped that their body language might also give me a clue if I was speaking the right language at the time Very Happy

In our department we have had some really funny comments on evaluation forms about accents. I have a very very slight accent, but no comments have surfaced so far.
One faculty member from New York and another from Oklahoma have had complaints about their heavy accents.

The funniest one is the one that happened to one of my best friends in the department. Someone mentioned in his evaluation that he had a very slight German accent, but that it was really very easy to understand him. My friend was born and raised in Texas .... Laughing
He does speak about 4 or 5 languages (2 fluently) so maybe that changed his speach pattern? Still pretty funny. I still tease him with it Smile
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I actually reverted to speaking Dutch with an American friend. I didn't realize something was wrong until I noticed this really puzzled look on her face after I said something

LOL That's terrific. Perhaps your friend thought something was wrong with her ("I can't understand Anneke all of a sudden...am I having a stroke or something?").

Quote:
One faculty member from New York and another from Oklahoma have had complaints about their heavy accents.

I didn't realize Oklahomans (Oklahomians? Oklahomites?) had heavy accents, but the New York one I can kind of understand. "I'm a New Yahker and I love watchin' the spohts there." Or is that Bostonan? (Bostonian? Bostonite?).

Quote:
Someone mentioned in his evaluation that he had a very slight German accent, but that it was really very easy to understand him. My friend was born and raised in Texas ....

Ich komme aus Texas. Verstehen sie, y'all?" Shocked

I'll bet all of you had a good laugh over that evaluation!

Visit my blog!
queencleopatra
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popmeii by robert harris is excellent. and if you have seen "rome" on hbo...that too is excellent.

Cleopatra's Note
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read the book by Harris and I did indeed think it was excellent. I don't have HBO, so too bad there. In any case the Pompeii exhibit ends late next month and I've decided I've read enough on it now. I'm going to miss the exhibit; it's been fantastic.

But of course, its departure clears the way for Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs! Very Happy

Visit my blog!
queencleopatra
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure "rome" will be out on dvd soon, can't wait till 2007 though, that's when it airs again. Great info on rome itself is on www.hbo.com/rome

Cleopatra's Note
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: