Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VACATION!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: VACATION! Reply with quote

Well, kind of a vacation. I have the rest of the week off. I'm staying put in Chicago and am going to enjoy the sights and scenes right here. A visit to the Oriental Institute, perhaps the Museum of Science and Industry to see the human-corpse plastination exhibit that has everyone gaping in awe. And of course lots of time at the Field Museum, not to mention reading and then some reading, and maybe some more reading after that.

To top it off my birthday is Friday. Is someone going to bake me a cake (sugar-free, please...Type 1 diabetes)? Very Happy

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
not to mention reading and then some reading, and maybe some more reading after that.

Oh! You should also try reading! I hear it's popular. Very Happy
Quote:
To top it off my birthday is Friday.

NO! You weren't supposed to remind us, I was going to say happy birthday to you on Friday and amaze you that I remembered. Laughing
I could bake you a cake, but I don't think it will do so well getting sent to you, unless you want me to eat it? You know, for you? Laughing
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the Body Worlds exhibition when it was in London-it's really fascinating. Kinda like modern mummification, if you like! Wink Except no canopic jars or removal of brains out of the nose involved!!!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniella wrote:
Quote:
Oh! You should also try reading! I hear it's popular.

Yes, I hear that myself. It's almost as popular as reading, so after doing yet more reading perhaps I should read a little more?

Quote:
I could bake you a cake, but I don't think it will do so well getting sent to you, unless you want me to eat it? You know, for you?

Sorry I spoiled your kind plans. Very Happy Tell you what, bake that cake and eat it for me. Make sure you put the correct number of candles on it, but keep a fire exstinguisher handy once they're all lit!

isisinacrisis wrote:
Quote:
I saw the Body Worlds exhibition when it was in London-it's really fascinating. Kinda like modern mummification, if you like! Except no canopic jars or removal of brains out of the nose involved!!!

It's been getting rave reviews here in Chicago. I'm probably going to go see it tomorrow morning, before I head back to the Field Museum (the Field and the Museum of Science and Industry are only about four miles apart). I like that comparison to mummification--it hadn't occurred to me. Definitely no canopic jars, you're correct there. Everything's still in its proper place and there for all to see!

Visit my blog!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh, free time. It's only a Wednesday, and this evening I sat back and watched a movie...Cold Mountain, to be exact. I rarely ever watch movies on a week night.

Don't you folks just love vacation? Very Happy

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. Very Happy

I liked "Cold Mountain" did you? Jude Law....I mean, Nicole Kidman is hot, eh?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's a great movie. I saw it at the theater when it came out and was in the mood to rent it. I really enjoyed the performances by Law and Kidman, but I'll tell you, my favorite in that movie is the actress who played Ruby. She stole the show.

Ahhh, vacation. I'm watching a bunch of MASH reruns now, something I usually get to do only on Friday nights. It's on the Hallmark Channel on weeknights.

And of course I've been doing some reading, and more reading.

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was Ruby the one played by Renee Zelweger (spelling?)? If so she was awesome! I believe she won an academy award for that.
Quote:
Ahhh, vacation. I'm watching a bunch of MASH reruns now,

I LOVE MASH!!!! Oh, it reminds me of the good old days when my dad and I would watch it together and when he still loved me.....sorry about being too sappy. Razz
Quote:
And of course I've been doing some reading, and more reading

Don't forget to take a break from reading though, that would give you the perfect opprotunity to catch up on your reading.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right, it was Renée Zellweger. I'd forgotten who the actress was. She cracks me up in that movie.

I'm sure your dad still loves you. Don't get along? Neither did my dad and I when I was your age. I consider myself to be very conservative but he makes me look like a liberal, and we never saw eye to eye. It's only been in the past few years that our relationship has improved. I still wouldn't call us "close" but we've come along way. It was the same with my sister and him.

I can't get enough MASH. I'm collecting the seasons on DVD.

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can't get enough MASH. I'm collecting the seasons on DVD.

How many seasons are there? I'm collecting all of the "Friends" seasons, I only need one more (#10)!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're up to season 4 or 5 for MASH, but I haven't looked for a while.

I spent this morning at the Museum of Science and Industry to see their Body Worlds exhibit. It has caused quite a buzz in Chicagoland, and now I can see why.

Holy crap! This is one of the most fascinating museum exhibits I've ever seen. Those plastinated bodies are remarkable...it's hard to put it into words. I have a background in anatomy from my days as an EMT, but to see all of the intricacies of the human body--bones, muscles, tendons, veins, arteries, nerves, organs--is simply astounding. What this Gunther von Hagens can do with the plastination technique is fascinating to observe.

Here's a look at some of the specimens on display. They range from the poignancy of a woman in her eighth month of pregnancy (with the fetus exposed) to the almost whimsically dissected body called The Runner, with his muscles flayed in all directions. The most interesting specimen to me was the horse rider. This is a dissected and plastinated man on a dissected and plastinated horse! In one hand the man holds his own brain, and in the other, the horse's.

One of the things I most liked about Body Worlds was that many of the specimens are not behind glass--you can stick your face right up to them to study the finest of details. Bear in mind, these are real human bodies. If you're in Chicago anytime soon, this is one you'll want to see. The exhibit ends September 5. I have no idea where it goes from here, but if you have a chance to see Body Worlds...SEE IT!

Although I must caution, this is not one for the squeamish. Laughing

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that does sound fascinating!
Quote:
Bear in mind, these are real human bodies.

WHAT!?! Really?? I just thought that they were all plastic. That just makes it even more fascinating! You lucky dog.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, they're real. The bodies are preserved in plastic. The amount of detail is just stunning. Several specimens show nothing but the circulatory system, down to the teeniest tiniest capillaries. There's a particular grouping of a man, woman, and small child (on the man's shoulders), and they're nothing but circulatory systems.

I'll bet the Egyptians would have loved this process! They could've preserved their dead better than they ever thought possible.

If you look closely at many of the bodies, you can see that the tobacco industry has been keeping von Hagens busy--many of these people clearly died from smoking-related diseases, jusdging from how blackened and tarred their lungs are. Shocked

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the coolest thing I have ever heard of! I have to go to one of these things.

So I guess the people just donated their bodies to science or something. Imagine going there and seeing a family member? Well, I guess you wouldn't be able to tell, but still very cool.
Quote:
If you look closely at many of the bodies, you can see that the tobacco industry has been keeping von Hagens busy--many of these people clearly died from smoking-related diseases, jusdging from how blackened and tarred their lungs are.

Really? Wow, that's sad. I should show my mom these specimens, maybe that will make her quit smoking!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometime last month they interviewed this von Hagens fellow on a local Chicago radio station and I caught most of it. If I remember correctly he can do around four bodies a year, fully plastinated. He also does numerous organs and other bodily tissues but I don't know how long it takes to do those...not nearly as long, of course. Anyway, I guess when you will your body to science there are instances where you have a say in where it goes or to which sort of use it will be put. Von Hagens has been getting a great many volunteers ever since his exhibit went on show--people who explicitly want their bodies to be plastinated when they die. He turns down nearly all of them because he simply couldn't handle the volume.

Reminds me of Bob Brier some years back when he mummified that human body according to the customs and techniques of ancient Egypt. Afterward, he received correspondance from people all over the world who wanted to be mummified when they die! Shocked Needless to say he had to turn them down.

Today my coordinator, Bob, took me over to the Shed Aquarium for a birthday lunch. This institution is right next to the Field Museum and has a fabulous little café. It's the first time I've been to the Shed and it was quite a nice lunch. Our window overlooked Lake Michigan and the countless sailboats on the glassy water. In the distance we could see Navy Pier, and high up in the sky, the military jets practicing for the annual Chicago Air and Water Show. Quite a nice lunch. We toured a bit of the Aquarium afterward, and though I'm not much into aquatic life, I have to admit it's a wonderful museum. Any kind of rare or exotic or interesting fish you might want to see swimming about, is there in one mammoth tank or another.

Another nice day. Very Happy It's beginning to disturb me that so little of my vacation is left. What will I do come Monday!

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: