Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amazing Family History

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Patterson
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Amazing Family History Reply with quote

Today, I was looking over some information about the Patterson family history. I discovered some things that are very amazing, and in a way makes me kind of royal lol Very Happy

It starts in 1800 with a great aunt by the name of Elizabeth Patterson, the daughter of a wealthy Baltimore merchant, the richest person in Maryland at the time next to the signer of the Declaration of Independence.

She met at a ball in Baltimore a man by the name of Jerome. They courted for about a year then married. This Jerome fellow's last name is Bonaparte. He is the younger brother of the famous French emperor.

Then the story becames sad. When the happy family returned to France, Napoleon forbid Elizabeth from getting off of the ship and forced his little brother to annull their marriage and forbid him to see her again.

Elizabeth then sailed to London in 1803 where she gave birth to their son, Jerome Napoleon Bonaparte.

Betsy returned to Baltimore with her son, Jerome Napoleon Bonaparte. She is buried in the Greenmount Cemetery, Baltimore, Maryland.

An irony: Betsy's brother's widow married the older brother of the Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, a British general and politician. He was the Commander of British troops during the Peninsular War (1808–1814), he defeated Napoleon at Waterloo (1815), thus ending the Napoleonic Wars.

And thus the cycle was complete, the end.
Claire
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised wow thats really interesting! I'd love to find out my family like that, how do you do it!? Very Happy
Jason Patterson
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my great uncle wrote a book about the family history, so I was lucky. But I would start by looking up the history of my surname.

Here is the full story to the one I told above. More details. Also learned this was the romantic story of the 19th century.

At a ball at the house of Samuel Chase, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, in the autumn of 1803, Captain Jerome Bonaparte was introduced to Miss Patterson. They were mutually pleased; but her father, foreseeing that his daughter's marriage with a youth with such brilliant prospects would prove distasteful to the first consul, forbade the courtship, and sent his daughter to Virginia.

The lovers contrived to correspond, and in a short time became engaged, and Jerome went so far as to procure a marriage license. The match was postponed until 24 December 1803, when Jerome would have passed his nineteenth birthday. All legal formalities were carefully complied with; the contract was drawn up by Alexander Dallas, afterward secretary of the treasury; and the vice-consul of France, the mayor of Baltimore, and many other dignitaries witnessed the ceremony, which was solemnized by Archbishop Carroll.

Joseph and Lucien advised Jerome to become an American citizen, and took steps to procure him a provision enabling him to live there in accordance with his rank. From first to last Napoleon remained obdurate. Jerome received a message from his brother to the effect that if he left the "young person" in America, his youthful indiscretion would be forgiven; if he brought her with him, she should not put a foot on French territory.

Captain Bonaparte and his wife sailed in March 1805, on one of Mr. Patterson's ships, reached Lisbon, and found a French frigate there to prevent her landing. Jerome left his young wife and went to Paris to plead her cause with the emperor, while the vessel proceeded to Amsterdam.

At the mouth of the Texel two men-of-war awaited her, and Elizabeth Bonaparte was forced to seek an asylum in England. Pitt sent a regiment to Dover to prevent mischief, so great was the multitude that thronged thither to witness her landing.

A few days later her son, Jerome Napoleon Bonaparte, was born, 7 July 1805, at Camberwell. Here she continued to reside, constantly receiving messages and letters from Jerome, protesting his fidelity and affection. Napoleon applied to Plus VII to dissolve the marriage, which the pontiff steadfastly refused; but a decree of divorce was passed by the imperial council of state.

On condition of her going to America, the emperor offered Madame Bonaparte a pension during her life of 60,000 francs a year, "provided she does not take the name of my family," and after some time she consented to return to America, hoping thus to conciliate her imperial brother-in-law.

When Jerome was admitted to Napoleon's presence, the emperor upbraided him rudely, and concluded: "As for your affair with your little girl, I do not regard it."

As a reward for his desertion, Jerome was created a prince of the empire, and was promoted admiral. He received subsequently the rank of general. In 1806 he was made by the senate successor to the imperial throne in the event of Napoleon's leaving no male heir, and in 1807 was created king of Westphalia.

Madame Bonaparte employed every means to maintain the legality of her marriage and the legitimacy of her son. When Napoleon III mounted the throne, a formal trial was granted her. Jerome, the father, appealed to the council of state to forbid "Jerome Patterson" to assume the name of Bonaparte. Nevertheless, the council decreed that the son of Madame Elizabeth Patterson was entitled to the name of Bonaparte, although he could not be recognized as a member of the imperial family.

After the death of Jerome she brought suit for a share in his estate; but documentary proofs, the fact that the validity of her marriage had been sustained by the Church, and the zeal and eloquence of her advocate, Berryer, did not prevent an adverse decision, probably inspired by the imperial court. Her son was, however, recognized by official decree as a legitimate child of France.

Jerome Bonaparte, the son, refused to sue for the hand of a daughter of Joseph Bonaparte, as his mother desired, and married Miss Williams, of Roxbury, Massachusetts.

Alienated by her proud and ambitious temper both from her son and her father, Madame Bonaparte passed much of her time in Europe, where her unfortunate position attracted sympathy and attention. She inherited a part of her father's wealth in the form of real property in Baltimore, which rose in value and made her a millionaire. She became penurious and misanthropic, but retained her noble manner and brilliant conversational powers. She passed many winters in Florence, and counted with pride royal and distinguished persons among her acquaintance.

After the downfall of the second empire and the death of Napoleon III., she actively put forward the claims of her grandson, Colonel Bonaparte, who had served with distinction in the French army, and hoped to see him called to the regency, or perhaps to the imperial throne.

Jerome Napoleon Bonaparte, Madame Bonaparte's son, born in Camberwell, England, 7 July 1805; died in Baltimore, where he had passed his life, 17 June 1870. He was graduated at Harvard in 1826, and studied law, but did not practice. He was never naturalized as an American citizen, and cultivated terms of intimacy with his father and the French court. His management of his inherited fortune and the property that came to him by marriage made him one of the richest residents of Baltimore. He left two sons, who inherited his and their grandmother's wealth.

--The elder, Jerome Napoleon Bonaparte, born in Baltimore, Maryland, in 1832, was graduated at the United States military academy in 1852, and served on the Texas frontier. He resigned from the service on 16 August 1854, and was appointed a lieutenant of dragoons in the French imperial army. He served through the Crimean war, distinguishing himself at Balaklava, Inkerman, Tchernaia, and the siege of Sebastopol, and received the decoration of the Medjidie order from the sultan of Turkey, the Crimean medal from the queen of England, and became a knight of the legion of honor. Being then transferred to the chasseurs d'Afrique, he served as lieutenant, and afterward as captain in that corps in the Algerian campaign of 1857, and in several actions against the Kabyles. In the Italian campaign against Austria he served with distinction in the battles of Montebello and Solferino and in various skirmishes, receiving French and Italian decorations. He was promoted to the rank of chef d'escadron in 1865, and in 1867 transferred to the empress's dragoon guards.

--The younger grandson of Madame Bonaparte, Charles Joseph Bonaparte, born in Baltimore. Maryland, 9 June 1851, was graduated at Harvard in 1871, and at the Harvard law school in 1874, was admitted to practice, and has attained a respectable rank at the Baltimore bar.
Jason Patterson
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site has drawings of Jerome and Elizabeth, really good drawings really

http://www.famousamericans.net/jeromebonaparte/
Claire
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats fascinating! I think i'm going to find out about my family history Smile Although i doubt it will be as interesting as this!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: