Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Moon
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: The Moon Reply with quote

As I'm an insomniac, and I've recently bought a new digital camera, I thought I'd take a picture of the moon, as it's a clear night.

How cool is this......

Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photo, kevin!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What?! You really took that photo? It's absolutely gorgeous!
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I really took that picture. My camera has a 48x zoom on it and it was a really clear night so I thought I would give it a go and see what happened. Cool
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to share more with us! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a stunning photo, Kevin. What kind of camera do you have?

Visit my blog!
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Minolta Dimage Z3 (reviewed here: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/z3.html )

As I run a shop on the Internet I rely heavily on having decent pictures of my stock (as that is the only chance a potential customer has of actually seeing the item before purchasing). My previous camera was a cheap and nasty one which has served well but I thought it was time to upgrade. I'm planning a photo shoot with a friend who will be modeling some new belly dance clothing I have so it was mainly bought for that. Also some of the previous pictures I took with my old camera would appear blurred as my hands would shake as I took the picture. The main reason for picking the Z3 was due to it's anti-shake feature which works really well. (I also bought a tripod and used that for the moon picture as, even with anti-shake, at maximum zoom it can still be a problem.)

I've never really been into photography, having only ever had cheap point and click ones but now I have this one I'm taking pictures of everything. Smile This camera lets you manually set things like aperture, exposure, shutter speed etc. I'm still playing with these as I don't really now what I'm doing. But it is fun learning and seeing what settings work best in different situations. I guess I should buy some photography books as I'm probably doing everything wrong Wink

Here's one I took in Macro mode at my Dad's house....

Last edited by Kevin on Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:19 am; edited 2 times in total
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin wrote:
I guess I should buy some photography books as I'm probably doing everything wrong

From what you have posted here, you don't need any books to help you out Very Happy

Both pictures are wonderful. The colors in the "bee in the flower" picture are great.

Found your own artistic streak it seems....
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very smart camera, Kevin. I'm into photography myself and have a Minolta SLR, but my digital is a little 5 megapixel Canon. It's not nearly as fancy as yours but I like it very much. And I know what you mean about your hands shaking--my camera will easily shoot blurry images if I don't hold my hands rock solid. It also shoots pretty decent video, as a friend of mine with the same camera has shown me videos he's shot of his little boy, but I haven't gotten the hang of that.

That photo of the flower and bee is wonderful, by the way. One would be hard pressed to find anything better in a professional photography book. I agree with anneke--you've found a real talent here! Wink

Visit my blog!
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both (and you too Daniella). As I said, I've never been 'into' photography but this camera is helping. I can now see why people get really hooked. I've taken pictures of things I wouldn't normally even look twice at and it doesn't half make you realise that there is actually a world out there worth looking at - and what a beautiful world it is too!
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I'm becoming a bore (and my wife has just played holy hell with me being up so late; it's 4:50am!) - but I'm obsessed with the moon. This is the latest picture I've taken with my new camera.........

Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm planning a photo shoot with a friend who will be modeling some new belly dance clothing I have so it was mainly bought for that.

I can't wait to see them!
Quote:
and what a beautiful world it is too!

*sings* "And I think to myself, what a wonderful wooooorld" Ahh, I love Louis Armstrong.
Quote:
Sorry if I'm becoming a bore (and my wife has just played holy hell with me being up so late; it's 4:50am!) - but I'm obsessed with the moon.

I feel your pain, my boyfriend does the same thing. I can't sleep at night. I too love the moon, everytime I say "Look at the moon, it's so beautiful!" people look at me like I'm crazy and then walk away leaving me staring at the moon until my boyfriend yells "Oh my god, Danielle! Who cares?"...sorry, I got carried away.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...everytime I say "Look at the moon, it's so beautiful!" people look at me like I'm crazy and then walk away leaving me staring at the moon until my boyfriend yells "Oh my god, Danielle! Who cares?"

I'm afraid your boyfriend is interested in an entirely different sort of moon, Daniella. Twisted Evil Pay him no mind. Some people just don't appreciate nature.

As for you and your photos, Kevin, you're hardly boring us! I enjoy seeing them so, please, post as many as you want!

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm afraid your boyfriend is interested in an entirely different sort of moon, Daniella.

LOL so true.
Quote:
Pay him no mind. Some people just don't appreciate nature.

I know, he won't even go with me to Egypt if I ever get to go. He's afraid of the bugs and the heat. It's for the best, I'm sure, because if he isn't enjoying himself, how will I right?

About the moon, has anyone ever seen a full moon that's ususually large and orange? Does anyone know why it looks like that sometimes?
I've also seen it with a ring around it, quite loverly really (even though it's from the pollution-so I've heard)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
About the moon, has anyone ever seen a full moon that's ususually large and orange? Does anyone know why it looks like that sometimes?

This is called a harvest moon, right? I think it has something to do with some kind of particles in the atmosphere interacting with the moonlight, but I don't know for sure. I've seen it many times and it's always a beautiful sight. I also love the Northern Lights but haven't seen them since I lived in northern Minnesota, years ago. That's always a thrilling thing to see.

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: