Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm goin' to egypt...............
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lotus MoonRaven
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: I'm goin' to egypt............... Reply with quote

.....and I'm VERY excited. I have always wanted to go. I was just wondering if anyone that has been there before, has any insight, anything you would've liked to have known, before you went, that you'd be willing to share. I going with a friend and we are part of a small tour going in December. Very Happy

Blessings
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a wonderful experience you're going to have, Lotus MoonRaven. I'm very envious because I've never been able to go to Egypt. Our member Sesen was recently there and brought back lots of interesting stories and lovely photographs. I haven't seen her in a while, but she'd be the one to fill you in. Wink

Anybody else care to contribute? I know Sesen isn't the only one at ED who's actually toured Egypt.

Visit my blog!
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been three times now, and each time I see more and more that fascinates me! It's truely a wonderful place to visit--the monuments and sites are awe-inspiring.
I think my favorite was in the Old Cateract Hotel at Aswan. It's a wonderful building. It was constructed in the early 1900's to house the designers and builders of the old dam. It's right on the Nile, with a great view of Elephantine Island and the German team excavating there. My memory is forever stamped with the wonderful sunset, the Nile crashing over the cateract, the faluccas (?) crossing the Nile--and me, sipping a martini while relaxing on my balconey!
That was just one of the great experiences, though. I LOVED the crazy Cairenes, renting a car and driving down to Luxor, getting stranded in the desert! going on a cruise for five days, getting lost exploring Karnak--everything was soooo fine! I'm looking forward to my next trip, but, unfortunately, because of the political climate in the Middle East right now, I've had to delay my trip for a while. But I'll go again a soon as I can! (I'm even thinking seriously of retiring to Luxor--that citiy's so nice!)
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right, you've been there several times, Osiris II. I'll bet you could fill pages with fascinating stories of your adventures! I can only imagine (literally) all the sights and scenes you've experienced in Egypt.

We have a new docent on our staff at the Field who is from Egypt. He mentioned that one of the best times to visit is right after some unfortunate terrorist attack because you have all of the temples and tombs practically to yourself. If I had the financial means, let me tell you, I would go tomorrow, terrorists be damned!

Visit my blog!
Claire
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Hey do you think the prices for going to egypt have dropped too?
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really envious of all you Europeans. The fare to Egypt from , say, England is about a third of what I have to pay here in Southern California. The most expensive I've paid was $1400 one year. The cheapest, $950. But worth every cent of it, in my opinion!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That $950 is about the best I've heard of. A visitor at the museum recommended Grand Circle Tours and mentioned about the same price, but I need to look into it further. That's actually something I can afford, but I'm afraid I'd end up in an Army cargo plane on its way to Iraq. They would make me parachute out over Egypt, and I'd probably end up housed in some guy's shed with his donkey.

But hey, if it means going to Egypt, it might well be worth it.

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you did find some of the stories Sesen had to tell Very Happy
They are under a heading that you may not think to look at:
http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=785&start=0

And here is a thread about some common expression you may find useful:
http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=896&start=0
Lotus MoonRaven
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See....I am not letting the bomb thing stop me, they say that Egypt is still VERY safe, but I'm not going to Sharm, either.

As far as price.....I am going with a tour; its for 10 days and we'll see Cairo, Aswan, Luxor etc. It includes the flight, 9 nights (even 3 on a Nile cruise boat) Abu Simbel and 2 sound and light shows, some meals, tomb and museum tickets, tour guide and more.......all for about $1700USD.

Osiris II did you stay at that hotel in Aswan or just visit for a drink?

Has anyone done the hot-air balloon ride over the Valley of the Kings?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Has anyone done the hot-air balloon ride over the Valley of the Kings?

Wouldn't that be amazing? I think this actually started out of a scientific exploit. If I remember correctly, when Kent Weeks and his team began the Theban Mapping Project many years ago, they were looking for some way to see the whole area from the air, but renting a small plane and paying the pilot was just too much. Limited budget, you know. So they found a guy with a hot air balloon, and it worked wonderfully. Not only were they able to view and study the Theban necropolis from on high, but it turned out to be a very pleasant experience.

And tours in hot air balloons took off from there. Very Happy

Lotus MoonRaven, do check out those links anneke provided! Sesen had some wonderful experiences in Egypt and was kind enough to share many of them with us. Good reading.

Visit my blog!
Claire
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Its not fair i want to go to egypt but no-one in my family will take me and i'm too young to leave the country by myself sob sob Crying or Very sad
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stayed at the Old Cateract, Lotus MoonRaven. Just kind of "crashed" and rested up a bit. The Old Cateract didn't have a pool, but there was one next door at the New Cateract. Just laid by the pool and read for 5 days! The only bad part--the flies about drove me nuts! Mad
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just laid by the pool and read for 5 days! The only bad part--the flies about drove me nuts!

LOL Damn flies. Did you check for a pile of steamy camel do-do under your pool chair?

Visit my blog!
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No do-do, just dust!!
I understand now why the AE used kohl around the eyes. It was supposed to be helpful in warding off the flies! After the first day, I was looking everywhere for a pot of kohl!
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's any definite proof that kohl is a fly repellent...but apparently it's good at keeping the sun out of your eyes-not sure if that's true either but I always have a pair of shades to spare if my eyeliner doesn't work!

Everyone I know in real life-my friends, my mum's boss and work colleagues, has either been or is going to Egypt, except me, the one who's most interested in going!!! I want to do a tour that encompasses everything-not just Luxor, Karnak, the Valley of the Kings and a Nile cruise but also Cairo and the pyramids, and some of the other temples (which my mum has never heard of-I told her they were worth seeing and she said 'meh, I dunno') and so on...is there a UK based tour company that organises such a trip?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Travel All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: