Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Atenism and the Afterlife
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wouldn't it just be great to get the opportunity to select a site and just start excavating? I know where I would be going!!

So I guess "Amarna" would be on your ticket? Mine would probably be "Saqqara." As exhaustively as that site has been studied and excavated, it is absolutely massive and still no doubt contains many fantastic finds. The tombs of Imhotep and Khaemwaset come to mind. Wink

Visit my blog!
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So I guess "Amarna" would be on your ticket?

No doubt about it! LOL, but is it really that obvious? I would be willing to bet that there many great things still hiding in the area. Maybe even more exquisite writings of Akhenaten himself! That would be just spectacular....Well, I can keep dreaming Smile

Saqqara more than likely cannot be as exhausted as it is thought to be. There is no way to ever know for sure even with all of the technological proceedures used for excavation.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No doubt about it! LOL, but is it really that obvious? I would be willing to bet that there many great things still hiding in the area. Maybe even more exquisite writings of Akhenaten himself! That would be just spectacular....Well, I can keep dreaming

I'm sure you're right. I'll bet a great deal of wonderful things still lie below the sands of Tell el-Amarna. I've never been to Egypt, and I'll bet maahes could answer this better than I, but from knowledgeable people with whom I've spoken, I guess the Amarna area is still a somewhat unsettled region and not always safe for foreigners to visit.

Quote:
Saqqara more than likely cannot be as exhausted as it is thought to be. There is no way to ever know for sure even with all of the technological proceedures used for excavation.

Yeah, same goes for Saqqara, especially considering it's much larger than the Amarna site and much, much older. It was in use all the way from Dynasty 1 to the Christian era--well more than 3000 years!

And it's not just what has yet to be found. Many sites and tombs were found in Saqqara in the 1800s and were then left to the desert, which reburied the whole region in dense layers of sand. So archaeologists are busy finding new sites as well as old sites that had been forgotten.

Visit my blog!
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess the Amarna area is still a somewhat unsettled region and not always safe for foreigners to visit.

I would willing to take that chance regardless if that is true or not.

Quote:
And it's not just what has yet to be found. Many sites and tombs were found in Saqqara in the 1800s and were then left to the desert, which reburied the whole region in dense layers of sand. So archaeologists are busy finding new sites as well as old sites that had been forgotten.

Very interesting, I never knew that. Were these forgotten tombs ever documented at all when they were found in the 1800s?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would willing to take that chance regardless if that is true or not.

When in Rome do as the Romans do, as they say. Get a great tan and wear a burkha!

Quote:
Very interesting, I never knew that. Were these forgotten tombs ever documented at all when they were found in the 1800s?

Many of them weren't documented at all, many received only a cursory documentation, and a few were well documented. And of these, many were reburied by the ever-encroaching sands.

Museums throughout the world have beautiful reliefs taken from the walls of Saqqara tombs (my own Field Museum is one of them). For years now Egyptologists like Geoffrey Martin have been trying to reconnect these museum pieces with the actual tombs whence they came. The people who originally took the reliefs often didn't make much note of context or location, so there again is a part of that never-ending mystery novel of ancient Egypt! Surprised

Visit my blog!
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When in Rome do as the Romans do, as they say. Get a great tan and wear a burkha!

LOL, well if I ever am in Rome I will remember that.

Quote:
The people who originally took the reliefs often didn't make much note of context or location, so there again is a part of that never-ending mystery novel of ancient Egypt!

It's like going into a library that does not use call numbers on the books and cruelly mixing up the order on purpose Mad
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Zahi Hawass, only 5% to 15% of Saqqara has been excavated. Most of those that were discovered and lost again are mentioned in various Egyptologists journals, but have not been throughly documented.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Osiris. There must still be many many tombs left under the sands of Saqqara.

I was reading a newsletter from Leiden Univ excavations and they mentioned that after excavating Meryneith's tomb, there seems to be another tomb right next to it.

Their plans show lots of open space where people have not excavated yet I think.
GT Martin has a list of lost tombs in one of his books. They include Khaemwaset and Hori the son and grand-son of Ramses II.

I also assume several other of the High Priests of Ptah must have been buried there. Not too many of those have been foound I think.

Nearby Dashur is another one of those places which should still yield many finds.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at a plan of Saqqara, you will see the tombs and burials that have been discovered, and a lot of blank spaces in between. Do you realize those blank spaces are areas that have not been excavated? Who knows what's there--makes me drool to think of it!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the discovery of the tomb of Maia the wetnurse of Tut I have always wondered how many people are still completely unknown to us Very Happy
I don't think they had ever heard of the Vizier Aperel/Aperia either before his tomb was discovered.

I think that even at Saqqara there are at least 4 teams excavating. And they do manage to regularly find amazing things...
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember one time that I was at Asswan. I had gone to the bar in one of the local hotels--I think it was the Old Cateract--and I met and was talking to an archaeologist who was with the German expedition working at a dig on Elephantine Island. I asked him how long he thought the dig would last, and he told me that there was more than enough work for the next 100 years! It just pointed out to me how very much is still to be discovered in Egypt.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to imagine how much must still be out there. Most Egyptologists say we've found about 40%, while some (Hawass among them) figure it's not even that much. We haven't yet definitively located all of the tombs for the kings of the New Kingdom, for instance--much less the tombs of such notables as Khaemwaset and Imhotep.

Saqqara is one of my favorites just for its unbelievable longevity. Had any necropolis in all the world been used for such a length of time, I wonder? And of course "Saqqara" is just a modern place name. The necropolis that includes Saqqara stretches all the way off and on from Abu Roash north of Cairo to the Fayoum in the south. It's safe to say they'll be discovering wonderful things along that length of the Nile long after all of us are gone.

Visit my blog!
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Most Egyptologists say we've found about 40%, while some (Hawass among them) figure it's not even that much.

I think I would have to agree with Hawass on that one. I find it hard to believe we have already found 40% of the remains of a great civilization which thrived for over 4,000 years!
Claire
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah theres no way theyve found that much, and i hate the way they say that we wont find anything like tutankhamuns tomb again...... I think theres something even better waiting to be found!
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i hate the way they say that we wont find anything like tutankhamuns tomb again......

I agree, there is no possible way to be certain about a statement like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: