Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The coffinettes and lock of Tiye's hair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: The coffinettes and lock of Tiye's hair Reply with quote

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Alley/4482/Tiye.html

I just stumbled upon this interesting page.
It contains the transliterations and translations of the text on the little coffinette containing the lock of hair.

Something I found particularily intriguing:

Quote:
v.1) Band running down the center front, from top to bottom:

rpat.t wr.t Hsw.t nb.t rSw.t Hnw.t TAw nDm-ib(?)
nb.t tA.wi tiy mAa.t-xrw xr nTr-nfr D.t

"Hereditary Noblewoman, Great in Praise/Favour, Lady of Joy,
Mistress of Joyfull Breath (or: Joyfull Mercy),
Lady of the Two Lands, Tiye, justified with the Good God forever."

I never knew that Tiye held this title Cool
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That title is interesting.

From what I have read "iry(t)pat" was a title that meant that someone belonged to the upper nobility.

Dodson and Hilton do specifically point out that iryt-pat (the feminine version) formed part of a royal wife's titulary.

I have also seen it translated as "executive".
Dodson and Hilton mention that there is the iry-pat title as well as a longer version iry-pat hery-tep tawy. This longer version particularly was a title borne by the Crown Prince during the latter part of the New Kingdom.
It is clearly in use in this form during the reign of Ramses II for instance.

I think that the conjecture that Horemheb may have been designated as heir to Tutankhamen in the absence of a royal son comes from this title.

Dodson/Hilton also mention that neither before nor after this period at the end of the New Kingdom was iry-pat meant to denote the crown prince.
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anneke wrote:
Quote:
I think that the conjecture that Horemheb may have been designated as heir to Tutankhamen in the absence of a royal son comes from this title.

Yes and also since Dodson and Hilton further mention that (quote)'the implication of the title seems to be that its bearer is one acting for the king'.
Underlines the audacity of Aye elbowing in for the throne Wink
Its an interesting title as there are some very important men who have held it, Sennedjem for one, another high official from Akhmim, whom I mentioned in another thread, who also held the aD mr (administrator) and was Overseer of the tutors to Tutankhamun.

Going back to the feminine version iry(t)-pt, I had also seen it present in the titles for Nefertari but hadn't come across it attested to another royal wife in this time period. Dodson and Hilton say (as you noted) that it formed part of the royal wife's titlary, implying that its not a rare thing, so there must be a whole lot more iry(t)-pt's out there.

You know another interesting thing I noticed about the inscriptions in the link, is the first and second little coffins have depictions of protective deities and contain prayers to Nut. Also the second horizontal band mentions "Royal gift of grace to Ptah-Sokar Osiris Wenennefer, ..."

Shows the return of the old gods in their rightful places. Begs the question of when these coffins were made and when the locket of hair was cut?
- Were the coffins made and her hair cut during Akhenatens reign, during which we presume she died? Could Tiye have personally retained something of the old religion - I just thinking of the relief in Huya's tomb where she wears a crown of Hathor horns and disk.

- Or her locket of hair moved from another container during Tutankhamun's reign, or after his death, to be rehoused in these little coffins made during his return to orthodoxy?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: