Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eye of Ra

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
e_owen
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Eye of Ra Reply with quote

Hello everybody. I have a question, that I don't think will be to complex. It is just something I would like cleared up.
Is it fine for both eyes of Ra to be displayed next to each other, forming a 'normal' set of eyes. I understand the basics of the story, the left eye being stolen by Seth and each eye representing the opposite sides of the world, balancing each other. I havent actually seen them displayed together so I was just wondering if that is something that is allowed/done...
I hope I have made myself clear enough..
Thankyou in advance.

Elliot
[/img]
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen two eyes depicted on a sarcophagus.
I can't find a picture of it right now. But if I find one I'll post it.
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this picture, but I don't really know what it's from

I have seen others on sarcophogai, like Anneke said. I believe it was to allow the deceased to 'see' out.
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Daniella. That was the type of image I was looking for.

The one I remember had both eyes painted in black paint, and I have heard the same as you have about the "looking out" part
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was during the Middle Kingdom that wooden coffins became very popular, and they were always painted with the two eyes, as you said, so the deceased could "see". Along with other heiroglyphs describing the benefits and "perks" that the decease would receive. They are quite beautiful!
e_owen
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou very much for your speedy responses. That pretty much answers my question. I was curious as to whether when they are placed together, you have the same eye twice or two potentially different looking eyes.
So when they are placed together they take on another, new meaning, of allowing vision to the dead, as well as the two eyes individual meaning.

I hope I am on the right track.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When together they show a left and a right eye, but other than that they are mirror images. Egyptians seemed to like a high degree of symmetry and they also liked duality. Somehow represented the two lands to them.

Welcome to the board by the way:D
e_owen
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. thanks very much.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it fine for both eyes of Ra to be displayed next to each other, forming a 'normal' set of eyes. I understand the basics of the story, the left eye being stolen by Seth and each eye representing the opposite sides of the world, balancing each other.

Actually, I'm surprised no one has noticed, but isn't that the eye of Horus??? I mean, the myth of Seth described above is nothing to do with Ra fighting with Seth, but Horus. There was also an Eye of Ra, but the symbol being discussed here seems to belong to Horus.

Don't the two eyes of Horus represent the sun and the moon as well? The left eye was injured by Seth, explaining why the moon was fainter and went through phases.

I've not heard of the eyes of Horus representing the two lands, and I never thought the Egyptian religion was about duality...I could be wrong though. Sometimes I wonder if people nowadays read too much into Egyptian art-did the Egyptians really think in a metaphorical, symbolic way?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:
Actually, I'm surprised no one has noticed, but isn't that the eye of Horus??? I mean, the myth of Seth described above is nothing to do with Ra fighting with Seth, but Horus. There was also an Eye of Ra, but the symbol being discussed here seems to belong to Horus.

Don't the two eyes of Horus represent the sun and the moon as well? The left eye was injured by Seth, explaining why the moon was fainter and went through phases.

From what I have read it goes by different names?
Wadjet eye, Eye of Horus, Eye of Re,etc.

I have read about the eye representing the moon as well.
"Eye of Horus (or Wadjet Eye) - In ancient Egypt, the left eye of Horus, or his Wadjet Eye, was the eye of the moon."

isisinacrisis wrote:
I've not heard of the eyes of Horus representing the two lands, and I never thought the Egyptian religion was about duality...I could be wrong though. Sometimes I wonder if people nowadays read too much into Egyptian art-did the Egyptians really think in a metaphorical, symbolic way?

I did not mean to imply that the eyes of Horus represented the Two Lands.

I don't know if the religion was so much about duality.
Their representations and symbolism definitely were though. And it's not a matter of "reading too much into it" Very Happy
I think the duality had more to do with kingship. King of Upper and Lower Egypt. Two crowns (the red and the white crown). Two protective deities (the vulture and the cobra).

You do find a high degree of symmetry in the constructions of stela for instance.

They are not all like that, but there are plenty which show this symmetry.
Too many for it to be a coincidence.
kaiburr
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: horus and ra Reply with quote

i believe that the eye of re is facing one dirction and the eye of horus the opposite. im pretty sure the left is horus and the right is re
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: