Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Could Kia be Sitamun?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sitamun
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Could Kia be Sitamun? Reply with quote

Hi there!

Just thought I'd share some of my inane ramblings in my head. I've been thinking, we know that Kia was Akenaten's second wife?? I'm not 100% sure on that. But we do know she was an "important" wife.

Sitamun kind of dissapears around the time Akenaten takes power. If he had changed his name and was thinking about or in process of elevated the Aten to sole god/chief god, would it not make sense for Sitamun to change her name or have it changed in the new regime?

I'm really just wondering if I'm totally barking up the wrong tree on this.
the_tutness_is_here
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me just say, it's nice to meet someone who lives in Florida too. Smile I lived in Tampa, now I'm in Palm Harbor. Shocked

Anyway, This is what I've read in "The Complete Tutankhamun" By Nicholas Reeves: Kiya is a secondary wife of Akhenaten, and she was dearly beloved by him. She's even the prime canidate, as far as I know, to be Tut's mother. In the book, it explains that Kiya could've been a princess of the Mitanni kingdom, and her original name was Tadukhipa (did I spell that right?). She was sent as a gift to Akhenaten in order to make a peace offering, and the two kingdoms supposedly became allies. She changed her name to Kiya I guess when she arrived, or maybe Akhenaten gave her that name. I don't know which, really.

But I've never heard of a theory that Kiya was Sitamun. Confused That's really...quirky to me. I've read that Sitamun had died either before or just after Akhenaten became king. But, that's an interesting notion you got there. Thanks for coming out with that, lol. Very Happy

Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiya may well be Mitanni but whether or not she is Tadukhipa I don't know. Its possible that Kiya is a pet form of Tadukhipa.

Tadukhipa is referred to as Tadu-Heba in the Amarna letters (EA 23) Tushratta (her father and king of Mitanni) loans a statue of Ishtar to Amenhotep III. I hope someone has better info but I believe this one is dated to Yr 26, 4th month of winter, 1st day. This letter seems to indicate she was married to Amenhotep III.

She is also mentioned in a letter from Tushratta to Akhenaten and again it seems she is now married to Akhenaten.

Kiya, the Greatly Beloved Wife, appears on monuments around Yr9 of Akhenaten and her name disappears Yr16.

Sitamun was made Great Royal Wife of Amenhotep III in Yr30, Tadukhipa was already in Egypt at this time and possibly already married to A III. Sitamun is also known as a princess and was a (Eldest) Kings Daughter and Kings Wife prior to being elevated to Great Royal Wife.
Kiya did not hold the title Kings Daughter and neither did Tadukhipa.

Very Happy Does all that waffle make sense?
Sitamun
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually that makes perfect sense Sesen. I personally wasn't sure of the titles that Kiya held.

The truth is the most I personally "know" of Kiya comes from Historical fiction novels, and as I'm sure we're all aware one can never be too sure of how acurate the facts are! Thanks much for that.
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's a fascinating lady for sure.
Have you read through this thread on Kiya?

I'm reading a Christian Jacq novel at the moment on Ramses II and although he not the worlds greatest writer and he free and easy with facts, they are still fun books to read. Smile
Orwell
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could Sitamun be Kiya after all? Is she mother of Tutankhamen? Is she the Younger Lady in KV35, Tiye's daughter? Was she Wife of Akhenaten, who fathered Tutankhamen? "Kiya" sounds (at least to a non-linguist like me) very similar to Yuya, Thuja, Tiye, Aye... Is Kiya another of Sitamun's names?
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember somewhere 'kiya' is a pet name or maybe a pet form of something longer. similar to nefertiti and nefertari.....
Orwell
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be good if someone knows the longer form. I don't think I've ever stumbled across it anywhere.
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyril aldred stated it was an egyptian word for 'monkey', and that it is was highly unlikely she was anything but native egyptian.
Orwell
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems reasonable. Is the name relateable to Yuya's family in Akhmin?
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't say i've ever heard of kiya being connected to the akhmin family. unlike nefertiti, ay etc
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orwell wrote:
... Is Kiya another of Sitamun's names?

The name "Kija" is assigned as an Egyptian womans name. See for example a stela in the Vienna KHM :

Stele des Imen-hetep. NK, 19th Dynasty, time of Sethy I., 1314-1304 B.C. Maybe from Saqqara. Limestone, painted. H 120 cm, W 70,2 cm, D 13 cm.
Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien, Ägyptisch - Orientalische Sammlung, Inv.-Nr. : AE_INV_178.

Greetings, Lutz.
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

View http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4714&highlight=kiya+stela

This is another stela of another Kiya.
Seems like it is just another ordinary female name.

And it has probably no connection with a monkey either.
AFAIK the word for monkey is Kiy without the "a". One sign changes a lot.
Orwell
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not find Aldred's reference to Kiya as monkey either, except on Wikipedia. In his book "Akhenaten" I could not even find Kiya in the index.
Meretseger
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Identification of Kiya with Tadukhipa is possible but not all that likely. She most certainly WAS NOT a royal princess as her sole and unique title is 'Great Beloved Wife' of Akhenaten. She was obviously more to Akhenaten then just another secondary wife. She is sometimes depicted with a small girl, presumably her daughter. Theories that she was the mother of Tutankhamun have been disproved by the identification of KVYL - a daughter of Amenhotep iii and Tiye - as his mother.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: