Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ankhesenamun and Satre
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had Ay reigned on the throne for more than a mere four years before his death, he may have had enough time to establish himself as the one who restored maat to the Two Lands. Instead, he died too soon and Horemheb stepped up, and thus it is the latter whom we remember as the pharaoh who launched the vigorous anti-Akhenaten campaign. The Ramesside rulers picked up where Horemheb left off and were evidently even more enthusiastic about the erasure of the Amarna Period from their national history.

Horemheb got the ball rolling, but he was perhaps even more concerned with legitimatizing his own ascension. After all, Horemheb was born a commoner and spent most of his life in the military before achieving true power among the nobility. And Horemheb appeared to spend a good deal of time usurping statuary built for Tut for the sake of his own glory. Smile

Quote:
The Ramesside kings might not have known where Tut was buried but I'm sure Horemheb did, and there would probably be documents to confirm when, and where he was buried, unless someone had erased.

That's a good question. We know that people associated with the royal necropolis were well familiar with its layout and tomb placement. We see this in the official records that survived, not least of which were the many "Tomb Robber" papyri from Dynasty 20 in which the convicted specifically mention the locations and tombs they plundered. I'm sure Horemheb knew precisely where Tut's tomb was, and probably so did Ramesses I and Seti I and maybe even Ramesses II, who came to the throne not even 50 years after the death of the boy king.

But it wouldn't be surprising if the location of Tut's tomb grew fuzzy soon after that. Dynasty 20 was for the most part an unsettled and dangerous period in Upper Egypt, to the point in the Theban area that the tomb workers fled their village of Deir el-Medina to take refuge in the fortified mortuary palace of Ramesses III (Medinet Habu). Not quite 200 years after Tut was interred in his little tomb, KV9 (Ramesses V and VI) was built in such a fashion that its entrance ran right over the top of Tut's KV62. Was this done deliberately? Probably not.

People living today are drawn to the boy king and attach far too much significance to him. We know better--Tut was a minor ruler who never achieved much significance. By the time KV9 was built, he was quite possibly forgotten. The Ramessides would have thought it amusing--to wipe out the last memories of the son of the heretic king (if that's indeed who Tut was)--but realistically the latter Ramessides and the people of their courts probably had no idea where this ephermal Dynasty 18 ruler had been laid to rest. Wink

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: