Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scarab of Tutankhamun in Libyan Desert Glass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Scarab of Tutankhamun in Libyan Desert Glass Reply with quote

http://users.skynet.be/super_novatje/pp.jpg

When Howard carter discovered the tomb of Tutanchamun in 1922, there was a sculpture of jewels and gold surrounding a scarabeus in its center, symbolizing the cosmology of ancient Egyptians, illustrating the young sun-god as a scarabeus with the wings, feet and tail of a falcon. Forelegs and the tips of the wings carry the Eye of Horus and the Snakes of Uraeus. The piece of jewellery symbolizes the cosmic order to all living things and the cycle of life. The scarabaeus itself consists of a greenish-shimmering stone which is absolutely unique amongst Egyptian jewellery. As Howard Carter could not know any better, he classified the material as Calcedone.
Only in 1998 the Italian mineralogist Vincenzo de Michele examined the scarabaeus using a refractometre. The result was astonishing: the stone doubtlessly consists of LDSG, Libyan Desert Silica Glass, a material composed of Silicium-Oxide of highest purity - one of the rarest minerals on earth, by far rarer than diamonds. Experts agree that this material must have reached the earth by a cosmic incidence.

The material was finally discovered in the heart of the "Libyan desert", a part of the Sahara belonging to Egypt (25°30'E 25°30'N) in 1932, by Patrik Clayton. On trying to cross the desert with the use of a modified Ford T-Truck he hit the spot where the desert glass can be found and brought back samples of this mysterious material. On a recent expedition lead by Uwe George, following ancient caravan-routes through the desert, the site was re-discovered and samples of LDSG could be collected.

LDSG belongs to the group of "Impact-glasses" that form during collisions of meteorites or asteriods. The age is approx. 28 mill. years. Fossion-track analysis has given the following chemical components: 98% SiO2 # 0,7% Al2O3 # 0,5% Fe2O3 # 0,3 % (Mg,Ca)O, # 0,4% (Na,K)2O # 0,4% TiO2. Along the characteristic meteorite-shaped pieces of desert-glass, sampled with chipped edges were found, resembling arrow-heads of stone age cultures. In one area, an ancient "workshop" for stone-age tools was discovered. Apparently, some ancient culture existed in the area where the LDSG can be found, making use of this hard and glass-like material. We must remember that some ten thousand years ago, the Libyan desert was a fruitful area. More information on the stone of Tutanchamun and George's expedition is found in "Geo"-magazine 10/Oct. 2000 p. 18-46, see also www.geo.de.

http://users.skynet.be/super_novatje/LDG.jpg

http://www.meteor.co.nz/feb98_1.html
maahes
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: heriditary nomarchs(iAw)of Hw.t-bnbn;nbs & oryx Reply with quote

http://www.egyptsites.co.uk/middle/minya/hasan.html

and their mother pAx.t-wr.t's ancestral lands:

http://www.egyptsites.co.uk/deserts/western/farafra.html

Quote:
The first examination

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They 17 say, "Come forward.
They say, "Who are you,"
They say, "What is your name?"
"I am the he who is equipped under the flowers, the-dweller-in-the-moringa 18 is my name."
They say, "Where have you passed?"
"I have passed by the town north of the moringa."
They say, "What did you see there?"
"The Leg and the Thigh."
They say, "What then did you say to them?"
"Let me see rejoicings in the lands of the Fenkhu." 19
"What did they give you?"
"A flame of fire and a tablet of crystal."
"What did you do with them?"
"I buried them by the furrow of Maaty as things for the night."
"What did you find there by the furrow of Maaty?"
"A scepter of flint, the name of which is "Giver of Breath.'"
"What did you do to the flame of fire and the tablet of crystal after you buried them?"
"I uttered words over them in the furrow, and I dug them up; I extinguished the fire, and I broke the tablet, and I threw it in the pool of Maaty."
"Come, then, and enter in the door of this Hall of the Two Truths, for you know us."

The second examination

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We will not let you enter in through us," says the bolts of the door, "unless you
tell us our names."
"'Tongue-of-the-Balance-of-the-Place-of-Truth' is your name."
"I will not let you enter in by me," says the right side of this door, "unless you tell me my name."
"'Valance-of-the-Support-of-Maat' is your name."
"I will not let you enter in by me," says the left side of the door, "unless you tell me my name."
"'Balance-of-Wine' is your name."
"I will not let you pass over me," says the threshold of this door, "unless you tell me my name."
"'Ox-of-God-Seb' is your name."
"I will not open for you," says the fastening of this door, "unless you tell me my name."
"'Flesh-of-his-Mother' is your name."
"I will not open for you," says the socket of the fastening of this door, "unless you tell me my name."
"'Living-Eye-of-the-Crocodile-God-Lord-of-Bakhau' is your name."
"I will not open for you, and I will not let you enter in by me," says the guardian of this door, "unless you tell me my name."
"'Elbow-of-the-God-Shu-that-protecs-Osiris' is your name."
"We will not let you enter in by us," say the posts of this door, "unless you tell us our name."
"'Children-of-the-Cobra-Goddess' is your name."
"You know us, therefore, pass by us."

The third examination

"I will not let you tread upon me," says the floor of this hall of the Two Truths,
"Because I am silent and I am holy and do not know the names of your two feet,
Therefore, tell me their names."
"'Traveller-of-the-God-Khas' is the name of my right foot,
"'Staff-of-the-Goddess-Hathor' is the name of my left foot."
"You know me, therefore pass over me."
"I will not announce you," says the guardian of this door of this Hall of the Two Truths, "unless you tell me my name."
"'Discerner-of-Hearts and Searcher-of-the-Reins' is your name."
"Now I will announce you, but who is the god that dwells in this hour?"
"The-Keeper-of-the-Record-of-the-Two-Lands." 20
"Who then is The-Keeper-of-the-Record-of-the-Two-Lands?"
"It is Thoth."

pedj-shes

Quote:
[/b]Ptah Res-ineb-ef - 'Ptah Who Is South of His Wall', probably referring to the wall which enclosed the precinct of his temple, located at Mit-Rahina, though the earliest, Early Dynastic temple probably exists under the mound called Kom el-Fakhry.

Ptah Khery-bak-ef - 'Ptah Who Is under His Moringa Tree'. This refers to an early tree-god, which was assimilated with Ptah already at an early stage. The moringa tree still exists in Egypt and produces oil.

[b][quote]

http://www.aun.edu.eg/community/cultivation_of_indigenous_medici1.htm
http://www.treesforlife.org/project/moringa/default.fr.asp

??????

more to the point sans the sphinx:

The western lands were where great orchards of bnbn ( Moringa) and Balanites trees were maintained and oils produced. The hartebeast ( wild "cow") from which the Farafra region was named was plentiful.
"O Egypt, Egypt, of your reverent deeds only stories will survive, and they will be incredible to your children! For divinity goes back to heaven, as Egypt will be widowed and deserted by god and nature."
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tombs at Beni Hasan have beautiful decoration. Never seen pictures of these tombs before.

The pictures of the White desert are very remote and peaceful.

About Cambyses, the Persian king and the mysterious disappearance of his army I saw a documentary on TV.

Interesting sites about the cultivation of medicinal plants and the Moringa tree.
maahes
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it is difficult for modern urban people to fully comprehend the value of tribal land. When a land has natural barriers that enable a certain amount of autonomy and protection it tends to be fought over less and its endemic culture will often remain intact for relatively longer periods of time. Here is a a photo of harem pa sebkhet an outpost of the descendants of a displaced tribe that introduced amenism and agriculture to the oasis of Siwa which is named after the Greek transliteration of the name of the first oracle of the oasis.

"O Egypt, Egypt, of your reverent deeds only stories will survive, and they will be incredible to your children! For divinity goes back to heaven, as Egypt will be widowed and deserted by god and nature."
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote Maahes

I suppose it is difficult for modern urban peole to fully comprehend the value of tribal land.

Beautiful picture maahes, and yes I think it is diffuclt for people like my ( I live in a city from the day that I was born) to comprehend the value of tribal land. But I will always listen to people who know more about it. I always think , you are never to old to learn something.
maahes
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had been more precise with that statement. I meant Egyptologists not board members. Laughing I think you can and do comprehend the concept of heir or heiress-the urban Egyptologists of the nineteenth century AD failed to do so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: