Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mummy of Ankhesen...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VBadJuJu
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
The coffin here seems to have been burned at some point? So not much detail is apparent. I can't tell if it would have been painted or even gilded.

It doesnt seem burned to me - the coloring is too even, same for water damage. Looks more like aging/weathering of unfinished wood.

Quote:
From the letters at the Hittite court it sounds like she would not have just accepted her position.

Thats true if they are to be taken at face value. If she is under surveillance - even protective gaurd considering she is apparently the last of the royal bloodline - then it is not too far fetched to imagine one or more of her protectors behind it.
maahes
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we write " her" we are getting back to that conundrum.
A hereditary heiress has her own microcosmal Peraa. This is to say that she has her own administrative residence and this residence is protected as a matter of tribal identity as much as religious doctrine ( even in ancient Egypt, a despotic lunatic of a king could be dilineated from his wife's family(s) by the local kesbet of her famies ancient clans.).

If the heiress was literate and wrote the note or had it written it would logically have come from the office of Aye or Dey. The commoner most likely mentioned is Horemheb who needed an heiress to legitimize his ascension. Regardless, the house and clan of the hereditary heiress had power of its own. It is likely that she and her entire peraa migrated into lower Nuba where the Oryx retained power and a great deal of influence over tribal clans of the gold fields. When the letter was written she may have been in Waset. But after the assasination plot was discovered or actually went through - what happens to this princess?
She marries her guardian Aye chief husband of her grandmother's peer beloved. This in my opinion was a defensive move. I see Horemheb as an architect of a military coup afteran outbreak of plague and or other pestilence.

After Aye finally succumbs to time, she and the remaining Peraa ( combined now of Aye, Dey and heiress tribal/court retinues including porters, standard bearers, soldiers, guards and archers) --the Peraa and remaining court retinue migrate to Upper Nuba. After Horemheb takes Waset's throne an Oryx named Panehesy claims lower Nuba.

"O Egypt, Egypt, of your reverent deeds only stories will survive, and they will be incredible to your children! For divinity goes back to heaven, as Egypt will be widowed and deserted by god and nature."
xman
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maahes wrote:
After Aye finally succumbs to time, she and the remaining Peraa ( combined now of Aye, Dey and heiress tribal/court retinues including porters, standard bearers, soldiers, guards and archers) --the Peraa and remaining court retinue migrate to Upper Nuba. After Horemheb takes Waset's throne an Oryx named Panehesy claims lower Nuba.
[/i]

This is conjecture I assume. Whose?
What does Paraa mean?
What is an Oryx?
Who's Dey?

X
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VBadJuJu wrote:

It doesnt seem burned to me - the coloring is too even, same for water damage. Looks more like aging/weathering of unfinished wood.

There are examples of coffins that are painted black but with gold bands with inscriptions. Could be an unfinished one of those, or one with the gold stripped by robbers?

Just found the reference again:
Quote:
A fine coffin with a mummiform lid and box base, painted black with details in yellow. The face especially is beautifully modelled, managing to convey a poignant expression to the observer, the features are delicate. Down the centre of the lid, under a pectoral of lotus flowers and pomegranates, is a single column of inscription, partially lost. A vignette from Chapter 125 of the Book of the Dead adorned the chest but is now only just visible. On the base was once a band of hieroglyphs painted vertically in yellow, again only partially visible. There is no internal decoration. Detail can still just be seen. Under the collar is a winged disk and below this the scene from Chapter 125 where the deceased is led by Thoth into the presence of Osiris, Isis, Nephthys and another deity who may be Re-Harakhty. The text on the coffin base was a dedication to Osiris.

The coffin is dated to the 18th dyynasty and it is now in the museum of Liverpool.

The info on the website gives as names mentioned on the coffin:
Quote:

anx=s-n.......?
anx-sn-Hsj ?

I found this on a site of the Global Egyptian Museum. This is a database of artifacts from museums in Europe. This database was apparently put together by Dirk van der Plas (a Dutch Egyptologist). I think he's associated with a research center in Utrecht.
The database is available on DVD. I saw it on sale in the museum in Leiden when I was there in May 2005 Smile

I hope the link above works. It's a great site to browse through.

This is the main page for the site: Global Egyptian Museum
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anneke,

Great site Very Happy

I visit already the Brussels museum. I love the depiction of Queen Tiye from the tomb of Userhat. At the museum you can buy a replica , the last time I was there it was 50 euro.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: