Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who was Amenhotep II's Queen?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Who was Amenhotep II's Queen? Reply with quote

This is just something that has intrigued me for a while.

There is no known Great Royal Wife for Amenhotep II. It seems that Merytre-Hatshepsut (his mother) was the most important female at court.
There is evidence for some Great Royal Wife dating to the middle of the 18th dynasty, but it is not known whose wife she would have been.
I think Amenhotep II is a good candidate, but there's no evidence.

It seems that Tiaa was a minor wife, and she did not become important until after her son Tuthmosis IV came to the throne.
It may be that some persecution of the memory of the previous queen took place.
I just find it peculiar that Amenhotep's GRW seems to disappear from the pages of history.

Considering the prominent roles of some of the queens it makes me wonder what happened?
This is combined with the impression I get that the persecution of Hatshepsut took place during the later years of Tuthmosis III which coincide with the early years of Amenhotep II.

This is pure speculation but it sounds to me as though there may have been some trouble at court? Maybe more powerplays in the harem? Could this be the reason for the later attacks on Hatshepsut?

Any thoughts?
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Royal family : the Context of Throne Contests
by Betsy Bryan

Amenhotep II, for unlike those before him, this king had no pubicly acknowledged wife. Amenhotep II's mother, Meryt-Re, served as his Great Royal Wife as well as God's wife of Amun, for much of his reign and even appear in his jubilee kiosk at Karnak.
The absence of wives might be considered a conscious rejection of the powerful role played by queens and princesses as god's wives of Amun from the establisment of the dynasty through the reign of Hatshepsut.
That queen-turned-king's usurpation of the throne may have encouraged
Thutmose III and Amenhotep II's disire to produce sons.
At the same time, they may have concluded that it was wise to prevent queens representing collateral lines of the dynastic family from becoming independently wealthy and powerful.
Perhaps this was the motivation for kings to marry even Great Royal Wives from outside the royal family, as did Thutmose III in choosing
Sit-Iah and Meryt-Re.
Whatever princes where born to Thutmose III and Amenhotep II must have been raised with the assurance of the family line in mind.
Thus Thutmose III made no premature announcement of the heir to his throne but rather made him true coregent in Thutmose's fifty-first year.
Meryt-Re's appearance on Thutmose III monuments is probably to be linked with Amenhotep's designation as intended heir.
In contrast the succession of Thutmose IV appears to have had no recognition at all by Amenhotep II, by coregency or announced intent.
Although Merut-Re may have appeared on Thutmose III's late monuments, Thutmose IV's mother, Tiaa, cannot certainly attested on a monument of Amenhotep II's other than as a later addition by Thutmose himself.
There is no evidence before her son's reign that Tiaa's position influenced the succession. We would then be safe in concluding that Thutmose was raised in a manner common to all the sons of Amenhotep II that we know of.
Evidence suggests that Amenhotep II,with his father, carried out a program to destroy the memory of Hatshepsut. The royal announcement of Amenhotep's coregency with Thutmose III on Amenhotep II's Sphinx stela may have been the signal that the dishonoring of Hatshepsut's line was legitimate.

Anneke, that's all I could find in one of my books.

According to this text , it looks that Amenhotep II want to prevent that another Great Royal Wife like Hatshepsut earlier became so powerful and took the throne.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Betsy Bryan

Specuation might lead one to wonder whether Amenhotep II's unwillingness ever to recognize a great royal wife other than his own mother,Meryt-Re, was another reflection of the earlier struggle with Hatshepsut. And perhaps also the office of god's wife of Amun was intentionally granted to these nonroyal king's wives and mothers over who the king had effective control.
VBadJuJu
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Who was Amenhotep II's Queen? Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
Considering the prominent roles of some of the queens it makes me wonder what happened?

She must have had a falling out with the king, moved to the Memphis Palace to raise the Corwn Prince as a rival contender to the throne. Wink

LOL - Your post reminded me of a paragraph in an order book I have been meaning to post. Just not sure where.
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen II's GRW has also intrigued me as also the mystery as to who Horemheb had as GRW after the death of Mutnodjemet.

Merit Ra is a fascinating character.
I've often wondered about the holders of the post of Vizier in her time as the family of Vizier Ahmetju/Ahmose who include Viziers UserAmon, Neferweben and Rekhmire have a strangle hold on the position from the reign of Hatshepsut through to the early years of Amenhotep II then all of a sudden it switches to Sennefer's brother Amenemopet Pairy. With these two brothers then being buried in the Valley of the Kings, indeed Sennefer being buried in a tomb originally for MeritRa Hatshepsut.

There is a figure in the tomb of Rekhmire that has been carefully removed - I'm not sure if this is modern thievery or ancient iconoclasm?

But its does seem to me that there was some internal powerplays going on.

Interestingly MeritRa Hatshepsut's daughter MeritAmun II takes the title Gods Wife from her mother (holder before Tiaa) in the mother to daughter style of the earlier Gods Wives.
She sort of seems to me to be a woman who was quite strong, in that she retains a powerful position through her own husbands reign, then into her sons rule, and she must have been one of the first woman (after Hatshepsut and her possible nurse) to have been buried in the Kings valley. I know it goes against what is said about curbing the Hatshepsut factor but to look at the flip side - I almost get the impression as though she was fashioning herself after Hatshepsut.
She's quite a personality I think
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: