Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Royal Geneology
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Royal Geneology Reply with quote

I have always been interested in the family relationships of the royal family. I thought I would just post this as an FYI Very Happy

I will split up the info into some smaller (bite-size) posts. I have info about the family of Ramses II, some 17th dynasty and 18th dynasty info, as well as info about "the pyramid builders" (4th dynasty)
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of this information comes from Joyce Tyldesley's book.

Ramses II +
Nefertari Meryenmut, chief wife of Rameses II and possible grandaughter of Ay. Mother of Prince Amonhirwonmef, Prince Prehirwonmef, Prince Meriatum, Princess Meritamon, Princess Nefertari II and Princess Baketmut. Ramses II built a temple dedicated to her and the goddess Hathor at Abu Simbel, next to his own.
Isetnofret I, second chief wife of Rameses II and mother of Princes Ramses, Khaemweset and Merenptah and Princesses Bint’Anath, Iset-Nofret II and Henoutawi. Iset’Nofret might be related to Horemheb.
Meritamen (III), daughter and chief wife of Rameses II after Nefertari's death.
Bint'Anath, daughter and chief wife of Rameses II after Isetnofret's death. Mother of Bintanath II.
Ma'at Hornefrure': Wife of Ramses II. Possible mother of Sethnacht (see D20)
Nebt-tawy: daughter and minor wife of Ramses II
Hentmire: Minor wife of Ramses II, sister or niece.
Other children: Princes Amenemwia, Sety, Simontu (married sailor’s daughter Iryet) and Ramesses-Meriamen-Nebweben (hunch-back). Princesses Meher’Anath and Astarte’Herwenemef.

DAUGHTERS OF RAMSES II:
1. BINTANATH Daughter of Isetnofret. She became Great Royal Wife after her mother's death. She had a daughter (possibly called Bintanath II, this lady became wife to Merneptah.)
2. BAKETMUT She has a statue at Abu Simbel, otherwise there's nothing known about her.
3. NEFERTARI Just like Baketmut, she has a statue at Abu Simbel, but there's nothing else known about her.
4. MERITAMEN Daughter of Nefertari. Like Bintanath, she became Great Royal Wife after her mother's death. She was also a Singer of Amun. Mostly known for her beautiful statue found at the Ramesseum; it's called "The White Queen" because of its color.
5. NEBETTAWY Daughter of Nefertari or Isetnofret. She also became a wife of Ramesses.
6. ISETNOFRET Daughter of Isetnofret. She was the wife of her brother, Pharaoh Merenptah.
7. HENUTTAWY Daughter of Nefertari. Sometimes she is given the title "Lady of the Two Lands" which can mean that she married Ramesses just like her elder sisters did.

35. NEFERURE. Daughter of Maathorneferure, Princess of Hatti. Her grandfather Hattushilish II of Hatti wrote in a letter that if this child were a boy he could be the Crown Prince of Hatti.
# MEHER’ANATH (“Child of Anath”)
# ASTARTE’HERWENEMEF (“Astarte is on his right”)
# TAKHAT was possibly a daughter of Ramesses II.
# ISIS who was possibly a daughter of Ramesses II, probably died around the age of 14 or 15. Her mummy is in the Faculty of medicine of the Complutense University of Madrid. It was discovered at Akhmim.

SONS OF RAMSES II:
1. AMUN-HER-KHEPSESHEF (Amun Is with His Strong Arm). Ramesses II's first born son by Nefertari, he was born before Ramesses II's ascent to the throne, until which time Amun-her-khepseshef was known as Amun-her-wenemef (Amun Is on His Right Hand). he was crown prince until his death between the age of 40 and 52. He was probably buried in the Tomb of Ramesses II's sons in the Valley of the Kings.
2. RAMESSES, who Egyptologist sometimes refer to Ramesses Junior to avoid confusion. He is now also being referred to as Ramessu. He was a son of Isisnofret and lived until about the 52nd year of his father's rule. He was probably buried in the Tomb of Ramesses II's sons.
3. PA-RE-HER-WENEMEF, who was the second son of Nefertari and who died early, probably before year 30 of Ramesses II's rule.
4. KHAEMWESET was the second son of Isisnofret. He is probably one of Ramesses II's best known sons, having made his way to the head of the priesthood. He could have been married to a lady called Nubnofret. He probably died in between year 52 and 55 of Ramesses II's reign. Khaemwese is most likely buried either at Giza, or Saqqara. He was known to have sons called Ramesses and Hori, as well as a daughter called Iset-Nofret III.
5. MONTU-HER-KHEPESHEF, who was called Montu-her-wenemef in the Luxor Temple.
6. NEBEN-KHARRU, who we know almost nothing about.
7. MERY-AMUN, who we also know almost nothing of.
8. AMUN-EM-WIA, who was probably the same son called Seth-em-wia on some lists.
9. SETHY, who may have been named after the father of Ramesses I. he probably died before the kings 30 year, and appears to have been buried in the Tomb of Ramesses II's sons.
10. SETEP-EN-RE, who we know almost nothing about.
11. MERY-RE I, who was a son of Nefertari and who died very young, probably in his 20th year.
12. HOR-HER-WENEMEF, who we know nothing about.
13. MERENPTAH, who was a son of Isisnofret and who succeeded his father as pharaoh of Egypt. He is buried in his own tomb, KV 8 in the Valley of the Kings.
14. AMENHOTEP, who we know nothing about.
15. ITAMUN, who we know nothing about.
16. MERY-ATUM, He was the High Priest of Heliopolis. Probable burial in KV 5, the Tomb of Ramesses II's sons.
23. SIMONTU, served as administrator of the royal vinyard at Memphis. Married Iryet (daughter of a Syrian sailor)
46. RAMESSES-MERIAMEN-NEBWEBEN, Hunchbacked prince.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourth Dynasty (Pyramid Builders)

Most of this information comes from a KMT article byGeorge B. Johnson.
Comments in square brackets come from other sources.

King Huni was the last king of the 3rd dynasty. Father of Hetepheres I.

King Snofru: possibly a son of Huni by a minor Queen.
Queen Hetepheres I: She was a wife of Snofru and the mother of Khufu. Her burial treasures are among some of the most beautiful ever discovered. They consist mostly of furnishings and toilet articles including razors made of layers of pure gold. KMT

[Nefertkaw: She was both the daughter and wife of Snofru. Her son was Prince Neferma'at.]

King Khufu (=Cheops) (son of Snefru and Hetepheres I)
Queen Meritites: She was a wife of Khufu and the mother of Prince Kewab, and the Princesses Hetepheres II, Hardedef and Baufre'.Prince Kewab was murdered by Ra'Djedet, who assumed the throne.
Queen Henutsen: She was a wife of Khufu and mother of Prince Khufu-Khaf. She also may have been the mother of King Khephren. A small pyramid was built in her honor beside Khufus' great pyramid in Giza. There is speculation that she may have been Khufus' daughter.
1 unnamed Queen.

Crown-Prince Kawab
Hetepheres II was his sister-wife. Meresanch III was their daughter. Prince Kawab was buried in a Mastaba at Giza

King Djedefre (= Ra’djedef) (son of Khufu and unknown Queen)
Queen Khentetenka.
Queen Hetepheres II. This Queen married Prince/Vizier Ankhaf after the death of Djedefre.
Children include Prince Setka and Princess Neferhetep.

King Khafre (= Khephren) (son of Khufu and Heutsen)
Khamerernebty I: She was the wife of Khephren and probably the mother of Khamerernebty II. She was buried in a large tomb east of Khephrens' pyramid at Giza.
Meresankh III:She was a wife of Khufu and the daughter of Prince Kewab and Hetepheres II. She was the mother of Prince Nebmakhet. Her beautifully sculptured and painted rock cut tomb was prepared for her by her mother and is located at Giza. Her son was buried nearby.

[Per(Senti?): She was the wife of Khephren and the mother of Menkaure' and Prince Nekaure'.
Hedjhekenu: She was a lesser ranked wife of Khephren and the mother of Prince Sekhenkare'. She was buried in the pyramid complex of Khephen.]

King Menkaure (son of Khafre and Queen Khamernebty I)
Khamerernebty II: She was the wife of Menkaure' and the mother of Prince Khunere'. A statue of her was discovered in the Kings' mortuary complex.
2 unnamed Queens.
Other children: Prince Shepseskaf, Princess Khentkawes.
King Shepseskaf (son of Menkaure and unknown Queen)
Bunefer:She was a wife of Shepseskhaf.
Child: Princess Kamaat

King Userkaf (father unknown, son of Queen Neferhetep, daughter of King Djedefre)
Khentkawes: She was the mother of Kakai and possibly the mother of Sahure'. She was the daughter of Menkaure and was buried in an unfinished tomb at Giza that is shaped like a sarcophagus and its' faced with limestone. [She may also have been married to Shepseskaf.]

Userkaf was the first King of the 6th dynasty
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 17th dynasty. These Theban rulers expelled the Hyksos (at great personal cost).

I made some notes to myself: [ca] means that the info is in Cyril Aldred's book the Heretic King.
[df] means the info comes from Dennis Forbes's book Tombs Treasures and mummies.
[tgd-nr] is a book by N. Reeves (the great discoveries)

Senachtenre-Tao I +
Queen Tetisheri , non-royal wife [df] daughter of Cenna and Neferu
Children: Sekenenre-Ta'o II ,Princess Ahhotep I.

Sekenenre-Tao II
Queen Ahhotep I, mother of Kamose, Amose, Ahmose-Nefertari [ca], Ahmose-Hentempet [df]
Ahmose-Inhapi, had daughter Ahmes-Hettimehu [df]

The grave of a Queen Ahhotep was found at Dra Abu’l-Naga in 1859. Her gravegoods contained many military honors. She may have been a wife of Kamose, but this is not at all certain. Her grave dates to the period of Amose. [TGD-NR]

Kamose
Possibly Queen Ahmose-Meritamen I, great wife [no reference]

Queen Sit-Kamose. This queen is a mystery, her titles include: King’s Daughter, King’s Sister, King’s Wife. “Sit” means daughter? This would mean that she was the daughter of Kamose, and the wife and sister of Amose. This would indicate that Ahmose was Kamose’s son, not his brother as commonly assumed. [df]

Ahmose
Queen Ahmose Nefertari, Great Wife. She was a King’s daughter, King’s Sister, King’s Wife. She was the daughter of Sekenenre Tao and Ahhotep. Cyril Aldred refers to her as the cousin of her husband. She was the first queen to hold the title God’s Wife of Amun. [ca]
Children include: Amenhotep I, Prince Ahmose-Sipair (a baby), Prince Ahmose, Prince Siamen and Princess Sitamen. The mummy of this princess is a false mummy: it consists of a bundle of reeds. [df]

In KMT (vol14, nr 3, Fall 2003) Dennis Forbes names Meritaten as the daughter of Ahmose-Nefertari and Ahmose
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First half of the 18th dynasty:
Amenhotep I
Queen (Ahmose-)Meritamen I, chief wife and sister of Amenhotep I. [KMT vol14, nr 3, Fall 2003]

Thutmose I
Ahmose Tumerisy, chief wife of Thutmose I and mother of Hatshepsut (as well as Princess Neferukheb (=Neferubity)).
Mutnofret, princess who died before husband reached throne. Mother of Thutmose II [nor]
Other children by Mutnofret: princes Amonmose and Wadjmose [KMT vol 11 nr 2 Summer 2000]

Thutmosis was the son of a woman called Senseneb (=Senisonb). [df]
Ahmose-Tumerisy held the title King’s sister, but not King’s daughter. [ca]

Thutmose II
Hatshepsut, chief wife of Thutmose II and co-ruler. Mother of Neferure. [ca]
Iset I, wife of Thutmose II and mother of Thutmose III. [ca]

Hatshepsut held the title God’s Wife of Amun, just like Ahmose-Nefertari. [ca]
Iset = Isis was a non-royal concubine. She was shown to wear the double uraei of a God’s Wife who had become Queen. [ca]

Thutmose III
Queen Neferure, chief wife of Thutmose III. God’s Wife of Amun [ca]
Meritre Hatshepsut, third chief wife of Thutmose III and mother of Amenhotep II. [ca]
Menhet, Menwi, & Merti, daughters of Syrian chieftain and wives of Thutmose III. [jf]

Sitioh, second chief wife of Thutmose III.

Meritre Hatshepsut is also known as Hatshepsut-Meritre. She was a God’s Wife of Amun. She was the daughter of a priestess named Huy, who was an adorer of Amun and Atum. Meritre-Hatshepsut may have been the daughter of Yey, the Commander of the Chariotry. Meritre-Hatshepsut was the mother of Amenhotep II and a daughter named Tia. Princess Tia became God’s Wide of Amun after her, and married her brother. [ca]

Amenhotep II
Tiaa, King’s Daughter,chief wife of Amenhotep II, God’s Wife and mother of Thutmose IV. [ca]
Sitamen I, first chief wife of Amenhotep II. [KMT, see below]

In KMT (vol3, nr2, summer 2002) Dennis Forbes gives the names of several sons of Amenhotep II: Prince Nedjem , Prince Webensennu, Prince Amenhotep (crown prince for some time) and of course Prince Djehutymes (the future Thutmosis IV). The footnotes also mention the Princes Aakheperure, Amenemhat, Amenemipet, Siatum, and Ahmose.
According to this article, Queen Tiaa never claimed to be a King’s daughter. Queen Tiaa was the last queen to hold the title of God’s Wife.

In KMT (vol 8, nr3, Fall 1997) Dennis Forbes mentions the second Chief wife. All that is known is that her name contains the element Sit-. Suggesting Sitamen as the name for this queen.
Tiaa is mentioned as chief wife, but the suggestion is made that in stead of being royal, she belonged to the Akhmin family that would ultimately include Yuya, Tuya, Tiye, Aye, and maybe Mutemwiya.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second half of the 18th dynasty

Thutmose IV
Yaret, chief wife and (likely) sister of Thutmose IV [jf] and possible mother of Sitamen II. [nor]
Mutemwiya, second of Thutmose IV and mother of Amenhotep III. [ca]
Nefertiri, great royal wife of Thutmose IV. [jf]
a daughter of King Artatama of Mitanni [KMT vol3, nr2, summer 2002 Dennis Forbes]
Children include: the Princes Amenemhat, Siatum, Aakheperure and Amenhotep. Princesses Tiaa, Amenemipet, Tinetamen, Petepihu. [jf]

Amenhotep III
Tiye, chief wife of Amenhotep III and mother of Akhenaten. [jf,ca]
Sitamen II, second chief wife of Amenhotep III [ca, jf] and possible mother of Smenkhkare. [nor]
Iset II, second eldest daughter and wife of Amenhotep III. [jf]
Henut'tanebu, third daughter and wife of Amenhotep III. [jf]
Gilukhipa, Mittani princess and wife to Amenhotep III. Daughter of King Shuttarna II, sister to King Tushratta. [jf]
Tadukhipa, Mittani princess and wife to Amenhotep III. Daughter of King Tushratta. Later wife of Akhenaten. [jf]
2 unnamed Babylonian wives. a Daughter of King Kurigalzu, and a daughter of his successor King Kadashman-Enlil. [jf]
An unnamed daughter of Tarkhundaradu, King of Arzawa (modern Turkey) [jf]

Taleka, was a name given to one of the babylonian princess and wife of Amenhotep III.

Children include Sons: Thutmosis, Amenhotep (later Akhenaten) [ca,jf]
Daughters: Sitamen, Hennutaneb, Isis, Nebetah, Baketaten, Iny. All possibly daughters of Tiye. [jf]

[jf] mentions a niece called Nebiu.

Akhenaten
Nefertiti, chief wife of Akhenaten. Mother of: Meritaten, Meketaten, Ankhesenpaaten, Nefer-Neferuaten-Tasherit, Nefer-Neferure, Setepenre. [jt]
Kiya, wife of Akhenaten and possible mother of Tutankhamen. [jt]
Meritaten, daughter and wife of Akhenaten. Mother of Meritaten-Tasherit. [jt]
Ankhesenpaaten, daughter and chief wife of Akhenaten. Mother of Ankhesenpaaten-Tasherit. [jt]
Tadukhipa, wife of Akhenaten. [jt]
Ipy, only known "named" concubine of Akhenaten.

Smenkhkare
Meritaten, chief wife of Smenkhkare. [jt]
Ankhesenpaaten, second chief wife of Smenkhkare after sister's death. (?)

Tutankhamen
Ankhesenamen, chief wife of Tutankhamen ( name change). [jt]

Ay
Tey, chief wife of Ay. parents of Nakhtmin and possibly Nefertiti and Mudnodjemet [jt]
Ankhesenamen, wife of Ay before disappearance. [jt]

Horemheb
Mutnodjmet, chief wife of Horemheb. [jt, jf]
Amenia, wife of Horemheb.
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats wonderful, thanks so much for writing all that, very very interesting. I cant think of one damn useful thing to add to it!
The line of the great Ahhotep interests me since I see alot of what made her such a venerated female in a male dominated field, in the strength of character in Hatshepsut.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Hatshepsut definitely had a lot of great role models to look back upon. Tetisheri, Ahhotep and Ahmose-Nefertari were all very strong ladies.

In such times of war I can imagine there being room for them to exercise their organizational skills. With the men being off to war someone had to "hold down the fort" after all.
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It amazes me, and Im sorry for vering off topic, but how much of a better life with more rights, women in ancient times had compared to their modern counterparts in Egypt today. There were many women in positions of authority not just royals but also high priestesses etc......not today, tho its getting slowly better.
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of days ago I bought a few second hand books and was flicking through one last night 'Son of the Sun by Savitri Devi'. Its about Akhenaten, and I was looking for any references to Yuya or his family, which is actually beside the point because some privious owner of the book had written on a inside page - Tuya....Pet name for Ahhotep.
Now I'd not read this before, have you?
Could this suggest that she comes from the line of Queen Ahhotep or that a bit of a stretch?
Anyway there is DNA testing being done on some of the mummies of the 18th Dynasty kings, tracing their maternal lineage. Would'nt it be particularily interesting if they would compare the DNA of Tuya and Ahhotep.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I wish more was known about this family from Akhmin.
I did post some of the info I have somewhere in this forum (under the family of Akhmin).

I have seen in a documentary that Scott Woodward from some university in Utah is doing the DNA analysis. I wonder when his findings are going to be made public.

I have read somewhere (can't remember where) that Tuya was a daughter or grand-daughter of Amenhotep II. She may not quite be as "common" as they thought she was.

I seem to remember that she held the title of "Royal Ornament". I'm not sure about this, but this might mean that she belonged to a King's harem at some point. At the King's death some of the women may have been allowed to leave the harem to marry elsewhere.
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone back over your previous posts on the relationships of Tuya and Yuya's family, now that I've spent the last 2 days learning more about them it all takes on a new meaning. The Hyksos had been my earlier facination but this family has really peaked my interest. I've focused a bit on 3 wives of Amenhotep III (son of Mutemwiya, we think of the Yey and Tey line), namely : Gilukhipa, Tiye, and the unnamed daughter of Kadashmankharbe a princess of Babylon. But there's still lots of gaps and maybe's, but here's a few things I did'nt know before.
Gilukhipa has a unnamed son of Amenhoteps who in turn produces Sitre wife of Ramses I. They naturally have Seti I who marries another Tuya, Ramses II their son marries as chief wife Nefertari (supposed grand daughter of Ay)
Babylonian Princess has a unnamed daughter of Amenhotep, marries an unnamed husband and produces a daughter Touia (close to 'Touiyou' Tuya's name). Touia marries Raya (son of Pay) who have a daughter Tuya Great Royal wife of Seti
Tiye we know is part of the Tuya Yuya line that follows down through Akhenaten, Nefertiti, Ankhesenpaaten, Ay where it goes on.

Mutemwiya also appears on the wall of Ay's Armana tomb and is named 'Queens sister' - Nefertiti's sister or half sister?
Yuya has many titles, Tuya I didnt know has 'Royal Ornament', 'Superior of the Harem of Amun' at Thebes and 'Head of Mins harem' and Akhim
They are also said to have held vast holdings in the Delta.
Their other son Anen was 'Chancellor of the king of Lower Egypt', Sem priest of Annu (Heliopolis) and Divine father. He was said to have educated the young Akhenaten at Annu.
There is a possiblity that this family is also present earlier than Mutemwiya in powerful positions. Amenhotep Huy 'Govener of the Northern Oasis' under Thutmose III. Queen Tiaa, pedigree unknown and Hatshepsut Merit Ra possible birth daughter of Huy (a 'Adoratrice of Amun' and mother of 'Gods Wife')
Its clear this family is not simply commoners but a powerful line that at times supplies the wives of kings. I'm still working on this.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean "Mutnofret appears on the wall of Ay's tomb as Queen's sister"?

Mutemwiya was a Queen herself. And grandmother of Akhenaten.
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I really must do is make a note of the web sites I take my notes from and quote them too.
It definately was Mutemwiya the site said was pictured on the relief, though Mutnofret certainly would make sense.
Mutemwiya was mentioned in the context of her being a daughter of Yey and Tey as apposed to a Mitanni princess. I would like to find more factual information on the tomb itself and find out if this could be confirmed or not.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. I wondered why they changed her to a daughter of yey and Tey, and such an inscription would definitely make sense.

I wonder who's sister Mutemwiya was though?
She was queen of Thutmosis IV, and his great wives (and sisters) were Yaret and Nefertiri.

Do you think she could be a sister in the sense that they maybe shared a wet-nurse?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: