Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Rock Tombs of El Amarna 3 Vol set

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: The Rock Tombs of El Amarna 3 Vol set Reply with quote

These books of Norman de Garis Davies sound wonderful and from what I've seen of Anneke's drawings, they are well illustrated.

What I would like to know is how big in size are the books? I ask because I'll be moving, and what with the cost of excess bagage, I'm trying to decide whether to buy the books or the cd-rom.
The books are my preference as they are so much easier to read and flick through, cd's are just not the same. But they are lighter to carry.
Oh the agony of indecision Confused
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love those books. They are about 25 cm X 32 cm And maybe 1.5 cm thick.

They have wonderful illustrations. I love just browsing through the illustrations. There are also translations of the main texts including the boundary stela.

You could buy them after moving?
I found them on sale for $60 per volume. The CD rom may be slightly cheaper? You can always print out a copy for yourself Wink

I have to admit to liking the paper copies.

Quote:
from what I've seen of Anneke's drawings, they are well illustrated.

I did do a bit of reconstruction. In the forum about the tribute I provided a link whuich shows what the original drawing made by the egyptologists looks like.
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks for that. They are quite largish books then - all the better to appreciate the illustrations.

They'll probably be too big to take as luggage then, if added along with my other books. Its very tempting tho as I love books.. might just leave all my clothes behind instead Laughing
The cd rom is US$90 and that includes all the volumes, so its a cheaper option. Like you said I could just print off parts anyway.
I'll ponder it a bit more.

I'm actually going to be living in Egypt for a year or so and they don't have a reliable mail system. So any books I might want I'm going to get before we go. Thats not till some time next year.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote Sesen :
I'm actually going to be living in Egypt for a year or so.........

That sounds great Sesen, you are very lucky Very Happy Succes with your moving to the country of my dreams.

Rozette

I have also the books of Davies and I love those books . I must admid that I cherish all my books about Egypt, they are my treasures.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sesen wrote:

I'm actually going to be living in Egypt for a year or so and they don't have a reliable mail system. So any books I might want I'm going to get before we go. Thats not till some time next year.

Wow! How did you manage that? Laughing
I'm sooooo jealous Very Happy

I hope you will be able to continue seeing the sites when you live there.

Do you know where you will be living?
Cairo would allow you to go to the museum regularly.
Near Saqqara would allow you to explore the necropolis regularly.
Thebes - What can I say? Very Happy

Don't even know what I should wish on your behalf...
I hope you'll keep us posted on your adventures when you're there.
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing thanks guys
Its still a good few months in the future, I'm still saving frantically.

Quote:
Wow! How did you manage that?

I'm self employed and work on farms on a freelance basis as a wool classer (preparing wool for sale) so I can take time off if I want to risk it.

Its funny the effect Egypt had on me as I've never ever considered living in any other country than NZ, its just nice to visit other places, then come home. I thought that the trip would be a once in a lifetime and I'd go back home and things would be the same. But Egypt, but more specifically Luxor, had such a profound, life changing effect that its hard to put in words without sounding trite.

Its been 11 months now since we left for the trip and barely a minute of the day passes without me thinking and planning for going back to Luxor.
We'll get an apartment there, probably on the west bank.
Cairo was a wonderful city but even the pull of the Museum and Giza/Saqqara is not enough for me to want to live there. Its extraordinarily polluted.
Luxor was just simply magic, nowhere else was comparable Laughing

Anyway my laptop is coming with me so once I figure out how to get connected I'll still be a regular here on the board. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: