Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seti I

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Patterson
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Seti I Reply with quote

Instead of posting all over the place, I'll make my list for Seti I right here. The info I found for Seti was not really detailed, so I am hoping some of you may know where to find a more descriptive cache.

First does anyone know what the condition of nomes were during his rule? And who were his Nomarchs?

Was his capital already in Avaris or was this to be Ramses the Great's capital later on?

Who were the enemies of Egypt during this time and how was his army structured in Lower Egypt?

Any more info on Seti I would be much appreciated.
paulst
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jason, have you read Chronicle of the Pharaohs by Peter Clayton.It gives some of the information you are looking for.Including military campaigns,art during seti's reign and building projects Smile paul
kennethhirst
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: seti Reply with quote

yes paul i too have the same book and can agree there is imformation on the battles seti fought,his conflicts were with the syrians then lybians and he also conqered kadesh which is shown on the walls at karnak a conflict which his famouse son ramasses the 2nd or great which ever you prefer was later to do battle with in later years..
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always Breasted's Ancient Records, but I'm sure you've looked there already.

I have found it hard to find information from the time of Seti I.
I don't know much about the situation of the nomes during his reign.

Individuals from his reign include:

Hormin: Superior of the harem of the King

Raia, Overseer of the Horses, Fanbearer on the right of the King, (later) Overseer of the royal apartments of the King's private apartments in the Harem of Memphis, etc. Time of Horemheb - Seti I (?)
Tomb in Saqqara

Iuny, Vice-roy of Kush

Amenemopet, Vice-roy of Kush

Tia, Overseer of the Treasury, Fanbearer on the right of the king, etc,
Married to Tia, King's Noble Sister, Songstress of Amun, Chief of the temple muscicians of Pre. Time of Seti I - Ramses II.
Tia (the wife) was a sister of Ramses II. She was the daughter of Seti I and Queen Tuy.
Daughters: Mutmetjennefer and an unnamed girl.
http://www.let.leidenuniv.nl/saqqara/Excavation/Tombs/Tia/Tia.htm

Paser: Governor of the Town (Mayor) and Vizier, etc. (TT106), son of Nebneteru Tenry and Merytre, Greatest of the Harem of Amun. temp. Sety I to Ramesses II [Griffith Inst.]

Nebneteru, called Tenry, First prophet of Amun ,
and also as First prophet of Amon in Hermonthis , and sem-Priest in the temple of Ptah . He was also Chief of prophets in Upper and Lower Egypt and chief of mysteries in all temples .
Civil titles: judge , noble and prince , royal seal fan bearer , unique friend .
Married to the Lady Meritrê who held the title of Superior of the Harem of Amun of Karnak . She was also a sistrum player of Hathor , lady of Sema behut and born in Memphis .
Nebneteru and Merytre were the parents of Paser (Late Vizier) and Tiye (Later Superior of the Harem of Amun).

Nebamun, Vizier

In Kush, Taemwadjsy the widow of the Viceroy of Kush Amenhotep called Huy (time of Tutankhamun) married Khaemwaset the brother of Ramesses I. Their son was:
Pennesuttawy , Captain of troops, Governor of the South Lands Buried in TT156.
, Temp. Rameses I - Seti I
Wife: Mia;  Son: Nakhtmin (Head of the stable of His Majesty);  Daughter: Beketwerner. Grandson: (Anher)Nakht (TT282) (Head of the Bowmen, Overseer of the Southlands).

TT277. Amenemonet, Divine father of the temple of king Amenhotep III, Ramesside Period possibly Seti I
Other titles: wab- priest, Lector-Priest, Divine Father in the Temple of Ptah-Sokaris
Mother: Tadjesertka;   Wife: Nefertary, chantress of Amun.
Mentioned in the tomb are: Djeserka - wab- priest, first prophet of Ptah-Sokaris,  Piay - lector priest , Ptah-mes - wab-priest ,
Userhat - wab-priest
http://www.osirisnet.net/tombes/nobles/amont/e_amont.htm

See also:
http://inicia.es/de/alex_herrero_pardo/Jefes_Arco_Kush.htm
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention a site :
http://sethy1.free.fr/

There's an english version (not fluent, but it doesn't obscure the information)
http://sethy1.free.fr/aindex.html
Jason Patterson
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, I'll look into those books. Also anneke do you know anything more about Nebamun?

Also where would the northern viziers during Seti's reign be? Memphis or his new capital he was building?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Patterson wrote:
Also anneke do you know anything more about Nebamun?
Also where would the northern viziers during Seti's reign be? Memphis or his new capital he was building?

I don't know much more than that. I do have in my list of Viziers the following extra info:
Nebamun is attested in the Memphite palace accounts early in Seti's reign.
Hatiay is known from an inscription at Giza. He is shown with Seti I.

That seems to point towards Nebamun being in Memphis.
Both Nebamun and Hatiay are Northern Viziers.

I think Hatiay served under Ramesses II as well.

Breasted's Ancient records mentions that the Karnak Reliefs are practically the only source for his wars. (This was written a while ago, so I don't know if that still holds true).

The reliefs occupy the entire northern wall of the great hypostyle wall and extend eastward around the corner onto the eastern face of the eastern wall of the hall.

The scenes show campaigns against the Shashu and Syria and campaigns against Libyans and Hittites.

The campaign against the Shashu took place in year 1, the rest was not dated.

One of the footnotes mentions that Seti was in Memphis in year 2 from the 2nd to the 4th of the first month, in the Eastern Delta on the 7th and in the same place from the 14th of the 1st month to the 30th of the 4th month, with the exception of the 23rd and 28th of the 4th month when he was in Memphis.
On the 16th of the 6th month he was in Heliopolis.
From the 7th of the 4th month to the 17th (?) of the 11th month (with the above exceptions) he was in the eastern Delta.

This timeline follows from bills for the maintanaance of his court during year 2 and part of year 3. Breasted thinks this may indicate that Seti I fought the Libyan was during that time.

I'm not sure where Seti was in the eastern delta though. This could just as well have been the outpost Tjaru I think? This seems like a reasonable place to launch military campaigns from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: