Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tutankhamen on National Geographic website

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Tutankhamen on National Geographic website Reply with quote

You may know this already, but there is a very interesting page on the National Geographic website dedicated to Tut:
http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/tut/mysteries/index.html

You need a Macromedia flashplayer and a high speed internet connection Very Happy

There's a virtual tour of the tomb describing the paintings on the walls, images of all the shrines and coffins.

What I found really interesting was a "tour" of the CT scans and a list of some interesting features that came from the scans.
kennethhirst
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: TUTANKHAMUN Reply with quote

regarding tuts tomb journey on the link site you gave us anneke,iwould like to mention i saw the program on bbc world the other night and took it up on vidio,the only thing wrong i found was the narater kept calling him tut which makes me cringe ,i know i have written it the same but thats to save me time on the pc,TUTANKHAMUN when spoken please,allso the narater on your link called the ankh--ank they must pronounce the H so as to bring the sound like we say anchor dont you agree Evil or Very Mad
Kerkira
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Anneke. As a side thought, I consider that Kennethhirst is right: Although he was a lesser Pharaoh, calling Neb-kheperu-Re Tut-ankh-Amon “Tut” are no manners. On the other hand, if we write “Tut on the pc” to save time when all the effort it takes is a few keystrokes, imagine what we would have done if we were compelled to use a brush or, worse, a chisel. We would have written “T”, at most. This laziness while writing documents is what keeps historians scratching their heads. Best regards.

Kerkira
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerkira wrote:
... imagine what we would have done if we were compelled to use a brush or, worse, a chisel. We would have written “T”, at most.

LOL I will try hard not to refer to him as "Mr.T" then.

I refer to the King as Tut myself on occasion. I noticed that I did it in my original post Smile I think it's a natural tendency to abbreviate long names.
Several of my relatives call me "An" instead of my longer name.

Makes one wonder what they called each other, doesn't it?
It seems that the ancient egyptians were rather fond of nicknames themselves. This leads to inscriptions like "Amenhotep called Huy" for instance. So it's not entirely unlikely that those close to him may have called him "Tut" or maybe "Teti" (another old egyptian name).

And manners or not, I'm afraid I will never start referring to him by his full name "Neb-kheperu-Re Tut-ankh-Amon".
I foresee typing injuries if I have to type that out every single time Confused
kennethhirst
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: tutankhamun Reply with quote

i fully suport and and totaly agree with you kerkira that it is only lazyness not to tast in his full name,and i certanlly dont want to be refered as K.orKH so please accept my humblest appologies(creep-creep) Very Happy
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I guess I'll start referring to them as Tut, Ankhes, Akhy and Neffie from now on.
You'll have to learn to live with it kh Twisted Evil
Kerkira
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, dear… But, of course, I was joking. Good old Tut will surely not complain. Once I saw an ancient tombstone, from Roman times: On it, badly eroded by time, there were only a few letters, something like “H.I.P.G.XX” or similar. I wondered: “If this poor devil sought to be remembered, he sure did a fine job”. Best wishes.

Kerkira
kennethhirst
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: abreviations Reply with quote

hi aneke i seem to have it a sore point for i felt a knife sticking in my back Rolling Eyes and coming from one so gifted in egyptian history i am suprised at you Very Happy but we are not going to let a little thing like that get in the way of our open discusions because i like your sense of humour Very Happy kh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: