Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Usermontu, Vizier of Tutankhamen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Usermontu, Vizier of Tutankhamen Reply with quote

Usermontu was named in the Theban tomb of Khons, named To, who was High Priest of Menkheperre (Tuthmosis III) during the reign of Ramesses II.

Khons/To even named his son after Usermontu, and it seems that a son of Khons/To's sister also had the name Usermontu.

The Vizier Usermontu himself is depicted in the tomb as well. He appears as one of two officials on the sacred barque of Montu.
It seems somewhat unlikely that Usermontu was still alive? Although I guess it is possible? But he would have had to be in his 70's or 80's by that time.

In the tomb he is named as the Osiris (indicating he's dead?), Noble, City-governor and Vizier, Usermontu, justified, born of Maia, justified.
Next to him is the Osiris, Prophet of Montu, Lord of Armant, Huy, justified, born of Maia.

This seems to indicate that Usermontu had a brother named Huy.
The name of the mother is interesting. Made me wonder if he could have been the son of the wet-nurse Maia, thereby making him a foster-brother of Tutankhamen.
There's not enough information to make any such conclusion, but it would be interesting to hear more about the inscriptions in Maia's tomb in Saqqara.

I can't remember where Usermontu was buried? Is that known?
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anneke, I found some time ago this information about vizier Usermont Very Happy

OCKINGA, Boyo G., Another Ramesside Attestation of Usermont, Vizier of Tutankhamun, BACE 5 (1994), 61-66. (fig., pl.).

Work in the late Ramesside Theban tomb of Amenemope (TT 148) revealed scenes depicting the vizier Usermont, who held office under Tutankhamun.
This vizier is also mentioned in two other Theban tombs of the Ramesside Period (TT 31 of Khons and TT 324 of Hatiay).
Another person represented in TT 148 is Ramose, holder of an office in Armant. The newly discovered reliefs and inscriptions of Usermont and Ramose in the tomb of Amenemope are of interest in two ways. Through their relationship to these two men, one can establish a relationship between the families of Amenemope and Khons, and most probably Hatiay as well. They are all closely connected with Armant. Amenemope belonged to an old and influential family, the roots of which reach back to the end of the XVIIIth Dynasty. The association with Tutankhamun did not affect its later fortunes.

In TT 324 Hatiay Porter and Moss page 395
Hall. (7) Two registers. I, Vizier Usermontu and vizier Nebamun(?) seated with table of offerings between them.
I can't find anything about the tomb of Usermont.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Very Happy

You must have posted it before because it "rings a bell" Smile

TT324. Hatiay, Overseer of all the prophets of all the gods, high priest of Sobek, scribe of the Monthu temple,...

Khons, called To, has a son named Usermontu who becomes HP of Sobek.
So Hatiay may very well be related to him.

Interesting how they keep representing this (possible) ancestor of theirs.

Nebamun is a Vizier under Ramesses II. I wonder if that's the one mentioned in Hatiay's tomb.
A Vizier named Nebamun is mentioned on a monument of the HP of Osiris Wennufer. This Nebamun is said to be the son of Ramose and Sheritre. and listed as a "brother" of both Wennufer (HP Osiris) and the Vizier Rahotep I. (although all 3 seem to have different parents Laughing)

It would be quite interesting then if the Vizier Usermontu was related to these families as well.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HP Amun Bakenkhons had a son named Tjaunefer (3rd Priest of Amun).
I have to look up some info in my book by Wilkinson, but I wonder if this is the family Ockinga mentions:
"Amenemope belonged to an old and influential family, the roots of which reach back to the end of the XVIIIth Dynasty."
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take a look at my notes and found this : according to Ockinga B. Amenemope was the son of Tjanefer.

OCKINGA, Boyo, Macquarie Theban Tombs Project. TT 148: The Tomb of Amenemope. Report on the 1994/1995 and 1995/1996 Seasons, BACE 7 (1996), 65-73. (plans, pl.).

Preliminary report on the excavation of the tomb of Amenemope (TT 148), son of Tjanefer (TT 148), at Dra Abu’l Naga. After the description of the courtyard and the foundations of the pylon the author compares N.K
Theban rock-cut tombs with Memphite above-ground tomb-chapel architecture, notably those of Maya and Horemheb, who were of equal social rank. There are parallels suggesting that the two tomb types have more in common than first meets the eye. A description of the finds in TT 148 and a note on its recording follow.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct number of the Theban tomb of Tjanefer is TT 158
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: