Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Vizier Aperel and his family

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: The Vizier Aperel and his family Reply with quote

I just noticed this item on the biblio page of the univ of Leiden:

Quote:
STROUHAL, Eugène, L'étude anthropologique et paléopathologique des restes du vizir 'Aper-El et de sa famille: premiers résultats, BSFE 126 (Mars 1993), 24-37. (pl.).

Report on the anthropological and paleopathological examination of the remains of the vizier 'Aper-El and his family. Their ages are given as 50-60 years for 'Aper-El, 40-50 years for his wife Taweret, and perhaps 25-35 years for their son Huy. See also AEB 93.0999. W.H.

This means that Aperel must have been born very early in the reign of Amenhotep III and it's even possible he was born during the reign of Tuthmosis IV.

In the other article referred to in the above summary it is mentioned that Aperel suffered from osteoperosis.

The age at death of huy, their son, is interesting as well. He was a general. Makes one wonder how he met his end.

I'm not sure exactly when Aperel came to serve as Vizier. He was Vizier of the North under Akhenaten, but I don't know when he came to that post or how long he served as Vizier.

Considering that Nakhtpaaten is the only Vizier attested by name in Akhetaten, Aperel may well have served for most of the 17 years of Akhenaten's reign.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't knew that Aper-el held the title of First servant of the Aten.
According to Murnane Aper-el did not long survive Amenhotep III.
That's maybe the reason why Aper-el has left no trace at Akhetaten.

Surviving inscriptions indicate that the vizier received an additional title, "First Servant of Aten," early in the reign of Amenhotep IV. Aged between 50 and 60 at his death, 'Aper-El did not long survive Amenhotep III. Nevertheless, his son Huya clearly prospered under the new king. Huya held the offices of Commander of the Horse, Commander of Chariotry, and Scribe of Recruits during the first decade of the reign. His death occurred no earlier than Year 10 of Akhenaten (Murnane).

A magnificent palette in the shape of a fish in soapstone with a wonderful yellow-orange-red colour found in the tomb of Aper-el, Akhenaten's vizier.

Front of soapstone ointment holder in shape of fish.
http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Front-of-soapstone-ointment-holder-in-shape-of-fish-Posters_i1022605_.htm

Back of soapstone ointment holder in shape of fish
http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Back-of-soapstone-ointment-holder-in-shape-of-fish-Posters_i1022606_.htm
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. Aperel didn't leave much of a trace at all. Smile He was unknown before the discovery of his tomb.

If Aperel died very early in the reign of Akhenaten, then I wonder who became Vizier of the North. I don't know any candidates for this job.

I'm curious why they think he died early in the reign of Akhenaten. This means they re-opened the tomb a couple of times to add relatives? Or were the parents buried elsewhere and later added to the tomb when huy was buried.
Any idea what the rule was? I though closed tombs were not reopened? Or is that just not so?

I guess Aperel and Ramose were the Viziers from the end of Amenhotep III's reign. One of them was replaced by Nakhtpaaten and there are depictions of another Vizier in Akhetaten I think, but the 2nd one is not named.

There is an inscription I have seen that shows a Vizier and the museum identifies the person as Aye. I didn't notice any inscriptions, so I don't know why. And Aye is never called Vizier in his tomb for as far as I know.

I didn't know about Aperel being First Servant of the Aten either. Is that something like a high priest? Or just a high ranking priest in the temple hierarchy?
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this little text.It's is the first time that I read that the tomb contained material which had some bearing on the co-regency. Does anyone know more about it.

Dr Alain Zivie writing in the first edition of "Egyptian
Archaeology", published by the EES, that the Saqqara tomb of
'Aper-El contained material which had some bearing on the co-regency
debate. He describes "cartouches of the two kings ... together with
wine-jars of Huy mentioning year 10 (necessarily of Akhenaton)... Some
atenist detail appears in the tomb.."

When a pharaoh was was buried, the tomb wasn't re-opened for burials of relatives.
But maybe officials used their tombs more for family burials.
I think that there are examples of tombs who have been used for many different burials. Like Horemheb's tomb in Saqqara for his two wives.
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is interesting, I've not previously heard of Aperel's tomb being involved in the co regency debate. Usually its Ramose's tomb that gets discussed when Viziers are mentioned.

It could be one of the more conclusive pieces of evidence for a co regency and would be great to read more details of what Dr Zivie's found.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: