Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mummy mask of noble woman from time of Ramesses II?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Mummy mask of noble woman from time of Ramesses II? Reply with quote

There was an article about questions concerning the provenance of a beautiful mummy mask here in St Louis.

The mask dates to the time of Ramesses the Great. It was discovered in 1953 in the unfinished pyramid of Sekhemkhet in Saqqara.

I have seen the mask on display and it is absolutely beautiful. I've seen is described as a noble woman, princess, queen.

She was apparently called Kai-Nefer-Nefer.

The article about the mummy can be read online:
Article from St Louis Post Dispatch

The article refers to a website by van Rijn and his site can be found here.

You'll find it interesting I think Very Happy
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remarkable story Anneke Very Happy.

Fascinating photo's of the "reed mat" burial of Ka-Nefer-Nefer. The pictures of the mask are beautiful.

Glad that you shared this article with us, I found it very interesting to read Very Happy .
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved those reed may pictures as well. I didn't really know about those.
The 2 pages from the book say that more of those were found.

I found it interesting to see remains of people who were not mummified.
The mask and the jewelry described for the man give me the impression that these people were not poor, so they may have been able to afford the mummification process? I wonder if they chose to not be mummified?
That could point to them adhering to another religion.
But I don't quite know enough about these mummies if that's a reasonable theory or not Smile
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Its a great story - quite intriguing with a bit of mystery.

The mask is very beautiful. I love the detailing of the wig and the apple cheeked smile.

I'd love to know which family she came from.

This Van Rijn character seems a most intense fanatic going from his very colourful website..
Smartie
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah T4P. The maskk is beautiful. Her smile and chin reminds me of Rameses II. Laughing
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This mask belongs to Egypt”

Zahi Hawass, head of Egypt’s Supreme Council of Antiquities, is asking the St Louis Museum of Art to return an antiquity he says was looted from Saqqara

Posted 15 February 2006
By Jason Edward Kaufman

The mask of Ka-Nefer-Nefer dates from the 19th dynasty (1307-1196 BC). It is made of painted and gilded plaster-coated linen over wood with inset glass eyes

NEW YORK. The St Louis Art Museum is facing allegations that an ancient Egyptian mask in its collection was stolen from a warehouse in Saqqara, Egypt in the 1980s.

Dr Zahi Hawass, head of Egypt’s Supreme Council of Antiquities (SCA), told The Art Newspaper that he believes the so-called Mask of Ka-nefer-nefer was removed from Egypt illegally and that the SCA is now taking steps to launch an official restitution request.

Questions about the mask’s provenance were first raised by Ton Cremers, the Dutch moderator of the on-line Museum Security Mailing List, who sent an open letter to St Louis Art Museum director Brent Benjamin requesting information about how the mask had made its way into the museum collection.

Mr Cremers attached a letter by Maarten J. Raven, a curator with the Rijksmuseum van Oudheden in Leiden and joint field director of Dutch excavations at Saqqara.

This states that the mummy mask currently on display in St Louis was “excavated by Zakaria Goneim in the area of the unfinished step pyramid of Pharaoh Sekhemkhet at Saqqara in the years 1951-55.”

The antiquity is published with an illustration in Dr Goneim’s 1957 book The buried pyramid.

The mask “should be in storage in the so-called Sekhemkhet magazine to the south of the pyramid of Unas at Saqqara,” writes Dr Raven.

Dr Raven says the storeroom at Saqqara, which contained finds from the Anglo-Dutch excavations (organised by the Egypt Exploration Society in London and the National Museum of Antiquities in Leiden), was looted “after 1985”.

Dr Raven, who witnessed the damage to the warehouse first-hand, says that after this theft, the storage facility was dismantled and the remaining contents relocated.

Dr Hawass says that, “The mask of Ka-nefer-nefer was excavated by Dr Goneim in 1952 and then, like most excavation finds, stored in the Saqqara warehouse, as property of the SCA. It was never, to my knowledge, brought to the Cairo Museum [where finds from Saqqara were sometimes stored]. Therefore, it was...stolen from the storeroom and certainly left Egypt illegally.”

Dr Hawass has now notified the St Louis Art Museum of Egypt’s claim and asked that the mask be returned.
http://www.theartnewspaper.com/article01.asp?id=176
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had wondered if it might come to that.
The statement by Maarten Raven is pretty serious evidence that the mask was stolen.

I'm glad I got to see the mask. May have to take a couple more trips to the museum to see it again. It really is an astonishing piece of art.

I guess with a new museum being built in Saqqara that may be a good place to exhibit it? It would be a shame if it disappeared into some storeroom again.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A long detailed article just appeared in the RiverFront Times here in St Louis:
http://www.riverfronttimes.com/Issues/2006-02-15/news/feature_full.html

It's an interesting read. Very Happy
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed Anneke Very Happy ,

A very interesting and intriguing story to read.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: