Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saqqara Excavations: Tombs of Maya, Meryneith and Tia
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Saqqara Excavations: Tombs of Maya, Meryneith and Tia Reply with quote

The University of Leiden is in the field in Saqqara again.

They have weekly briefings of what happens in the field:
http://www.let.leidenuniv.nl/saqqara/Introduction/2006/DiggingDiary2006.html

Some quotes:
Quote:

This project aims at consolidating and preparing for public access all the tombs found by our expedition from 1975 onwards.
This year, the efforts will be concentrated on the tombs of Maya and Meryneith.
More team members will arrive on February 6, and by that time we also hope to have started our limited excavations on the forecourt of the tomb of Tia. Next week, we hope to report you on the first results of that dig!

The preparation of tyhe tombs to make them available for public access sounds really exciting. It would be nice to be able to visit the tombs of Horemheb, Maya, Meryneith and Tia.

The further excavations of the forecourt of the tomb of the Tias sounds interesting as well Very Happy

Just for reference: This is the main website for Saqqara Online:
http://www.let.leidenuniv.nl/saqqara/homepage.htm

The page about the tombs that have been excavated is really interesting!
Here's a short-cut:
http://www.let.leidenuniv.nl/saqqara/Excavation/Tombs.html
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Saqqara Excavations: Tombs of Maya, Meryneith and Tia Reply with quote

quote: Anneke

The preparation of the tombs to make them available for public access sounds really exciting. It would be nice to be able to visit the tombs of Horemheb, Maya, Meryneith and Tia.

That sounds really great Very Happy . It must be quite an experience to enter those tombs, I think.
From what I have read earlier about the tomb of Maya and Meryt, the golden yellow used on the walls seems to be very beauiful and symbolized the rising sun and rebirth hitherto only used in royal tombs.
I think that this beautiful tomb symbolize the great power of Maya during his lifetime.
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy How wonderful that they are planning on opening the tombs to the public - it would be very exciting to see them in person.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest update was just posted today:
http://www.let.leidenuniv.nl/saqqara/Introduction/2006/2005-02-17.html

There is mention of some interesting finds there:
* an originally round topped (?) stela of white limestone (h. 78 cm, w. 89,5, th. 14,5) The lower register shows on the right side a left facing, standing female figure with a cow’s head, identified as Hathor, Lady of the sycamore, mistress of the West. She is faced by a row of six women and two men, carrying offerings. The row is opened by a woman called The lady of the house Iu-ashat and followed by the two men, of whom the first one is described as His (most likely referring to the unknown owner of the stela on the first register) son, the scribe Imenemopet. He is followed by the other His (again the owner will be meant) son, Iufseneb. The remaining women are identified as Her (referring to Iu-ashat?) daughter followed by a name. The style is definitive Ramesside but an unambiguous connection with the Tia’s cannot be made so far.

* The left upper part of a small votive stela. It shows the figure of queen Mutnodjemet, Horemheb’s wife, seated behind him.

[quotes from the website]

There's much more, but one of the field directors - Maarten Raaven - explains it much better than I ever could, so see above link Very Happy
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote fom link
Quote:
Anneke de Kemp, the museum’s photographer (arriving on Monday)

Wink Moonlighting undercover eh?! Busy girl you are.

It was interesting to read of the monkey remains. They really seem to have been popular animals for pets.

It would be nice if they can determine the connection of the stele owner and family with the Tia's. The Tia's did have two daughters so perhaps the stela owners are extended family.

Also nice to read of the stele that shows a depiction of Mutnodjmet (with Horemheb) - it always interesting to read more of her.

Sounds like the Leiden uni is having a great season Very Happy
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Oh boy! What I wouldn't give to be the photographer. That would be an amazing job to have.
Sadly for me I'm instead nowhere near Egypt....

The finds reaally are interesting. The family could even be relatives for the husband Tia. It is not quite clear where he came from. Some think he may have been the son of a treasury employee named Amenwashu, but that is not at all certain.

I liked the fact too that they found some evidence of Queen Mutnodjemet. You don't really hear of too many depictions of her.

The fact that it's a votive stela is interesting as well. Would that imply she was revered alongside her husband?
Mennefer
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it known when the New Kingdom tombs at Saqqara were robbed? I have read that the tomb of Maya and Meryt might have been broken into as early as a few years after their deaths, or possibly more than a hundred years later during the Ramesside period?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maarten J. Raven : The Tomb of Maya and Meryt II - Objects and Skeletal Remains. - [EES - Excavation Memoir 65]. - London : Egypt Exploration Society, 2001. - ISBN : 0-85698-139-7. - 109 p., on page 10:

Greetings, Lutz.
Mennefer
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although a month has passed I still want to thank you for the quote Lutz. I have looked for the book but I haven't been able to come by it through my library. Are there any illustrations showing the outline of the subterranean shafts and chambers?

So far I've only found this.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mennefer wrote:
... Are there any illustrations showing the outline of the subterranean shafts and chambers? ...

Yes. But see also ... Geoffrey T. Martin / Maarten J. Raven / Barbara Greene Aston / Jacobus Van Dijk : The Tomb of Maya and Meryt - Preliminary Report on the Saqqara Excavations, 1987-8. - In: The Journal of Egyptian Archaeology - JEA 74. - 1988. - pp. 1-14, on pages 7 & 8.

Some colour pictures of the burial chamber reliefs ... Jacobus van Dijk : Restoring the Burial Chambers of Maya and Meryt. - In: Egyptian Archaeology - EA - The Bulletin of the Egypt Exploration Society 12. - 1998. - pp. 7 - 9. The issue is currently available at low cost (1,- GBP) at EES - Shop.

More I hope (ordered but not yet delivered) in ... Geoffrey T. Martin : The Tomb of Maya and Meryt I - The Reliefs, Inscriptions, and Commentary. - London : EES, 2012.
Quote:
"... The present volume by Geoffrey T. Martin provides a full record of the architecture, scenes and texts in the superstructure, as well as the unique painted substructure reliefs of the monument, detailed indexes, and an overview of the life of the tomb-owners."

Greetings, Lutz.
Mennefer
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks once again; the article by van Dijk was very helpful. Unfortunately Martin's publication seems very difficult to come by. Is his earlier book The Hidden Tombs of Memphis any good, or is it too dated to be of any use?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mennefer wrote:
... Unfortunately Martin's publication seems very difficult to come by. ...

I really can not say ... Part II some years ago then cost me 10, - GBP, part I I have ordered some weeks ago for 35, - GBP (second hand). The books are also in several libraries in Berlin. Where do you live? Have you ever asked in your library for interlibrary loan?

Mennefer wrote:
... Is his earlier book The Hidden Tombs of Memphis any good, or is it too dated to be of any use?

I have a (according to the author) quite excellently illustrated German edition, hand-signed since 18/09/2012. Cool I do not know the English version (if I have Mr. Martin understood, the quality of the pictures is probably lower than in the German version). But the content is really not outdated and it is a very worth reading book. It's just around all the tombs in the digs, not just about the one for Maya and Merit. But at least the German edition also includes images of this underground chambers.

Forget, the "Preliminary Reports" ...

Schneider / Martin / Greene Aston / van Dijk / Perizonius / Strouhal : The Tomb of Maya and Merit - Preliminary Report on the Saqqara Excavations, 1990-1. - In: The Journal of Egyptian Archaeology - JEA 77. - 1991. - pp. 7 - 21.

Giddy / Jeffreys / Bourriau : Fieldwork, 1995-6 - Memphis, Saqqara, North Saqqara, Tell el-Amarna, Buto, Gebel Dokhan, Qasr Ibrim. - In: The Journal of Egyptian Archaeology - JEA 82. - 1996. - pp. 1 - 22.

Raven / Martin / van Dijk / Aston : Preliminary Report on the Saqqara Excavations, Season 1998. - In: Oudheidkundige mededelingen uit het Rijksmuseum van Oudheden te Leiden - OMRO 79. - 1999. - pp. 9 - 17.

Greetings, Lutz.
Mennefer
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the national Swedish library database there are only two copies of The tomb of Maya and Meryt part 2 available nationwide, and the University libraries containing them won't lend them out. But I'm contemplating buing it nontheless, despite the cost.

However I will look into Martin's book Hidden tombs as well as the articles you suggested. Alain Zivies publication on the Bubasteion-findings also seems interesting.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be that part I has not yet acquired or is in processing. The libraries are sometimes not so fast...

The lending policies of individual University Libraries is sometimes really hard to understand. I think we are quite privileged in Germany. There is the library in Heidelberg, which acts as a reference library for the subject of Egyptology. She collects everything on the topic and lends objects that are not available elsewhere.

Unfortunately, I find on the internet at present only very expensive rates for both books ... If you send me an e-mail address by PM here on the forum I will scan the content pages for volume II and, when I get it, for volume I for you.

Greetings, Lutz.
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must recommend Martin's "The Hidden Tombs Of Memphis", I have the soft back English language version, it is very informative and also visually stimulating for the novice or the expert.

The work of Martin, Zivie and others is interesting because it does appear that in that area of Saqqara the members of the court from the time of Tutankhamun through to the middle of Ramesses II's reign were buried in the area, giving us greater insight into this most fascinating period. Given that not many tombs seem to date from before or after this period, and that burials at Thebes from this class of person are less common post-Amarna, this must indicate that the court was based primarily at Memphis at this time. As an earlier poster stated, it is known that Ramesses II established a new capital near Avaris, so it is likely that many of his court built tombs in that area from that point on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: