Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KV-63 : A new tomb discovered next to King Tut's
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures Anneke, Very Happy

Interview with Ted Brock Co-director of the team that found the new tomb in the Valley of the Kings

American archaeologists discovered the entrance to the tomb by accident while working on a neighbouring tomb, said Edwin Brock, co-director of the University of Memphis team.

“It was a wonderful thing. It was just so amazing to find an intact tomb here after all the work that’s been done before. This was totally unexpected,” Brock said.

The new tomb did not appear to be that of a pharaoh, he said. “I don’t think it’s a royal tomb, maybe members of the court.”
Contemporaries of Tutankahmun are possible – or of Amunhotep III or even Horemheb,” he said. Based on their style, the jars appear to date to the late 18th Dynasty.

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0700world/tm_objectid=16687869&method=full&siteid=50082&headline=new-eqyptian-tomb--probably-of-pharaoh-s-court--name_page.html
ELISE
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest, the BBC website are now referring to this find as a pharonic tomb. I'm not sure if this is an error on their part, or if there is now some (as yet undisclosed) evidence of a royal occupant.

Could they be misunderstanding the 'pharonic seals' bit? I took that to mean the jars were sealed with the name of the pharaoh who happened to be ruling at that time - not that there was a royal occupant.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The press conference on the tomb discovery is going to be broadcast on the BBC at 1500 GMT.
On the website that I provided is a link to the live video.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4700032.stm
ELISE
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI....The webcast has now been put back to 16:10 GMT
ELISE
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone manage to catch this webcast? - I'm dying to know what happened!
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/ukfs_news/hi/newsid_4700000/newsid_4701900/bb_wm_4701970.stm

This is a link of a webcast that I found about the tomb.
ELISE
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much Rozette. Great close-ups!

I agree with whoever mentioned the rear coffin possibly appearing to have an arm across the chest.......now if it did, who might that be!
RobertStJames
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one article they talked about finding Thutmose III's seals, but not actually in the tomb. Seemed to indicate they were found in the rubble above it. I can't find the article now and I possibly misread it.

Here's a great pic from News Telegraph:

The workmanship looks first rate, and the face certainly appears female.

"It could be the gardener," joked Otto Schaden, the head of the US team, from the University of Memphis.

Well, if it is, the gardener must have been a fairly successful one as that coffin doesn't look cheap.

They've said "late 18th Dynasty" so they have to have found someone's seal. Tut's? Perhaps this is the overflow from KV 55 and represents more of what was removed from Amarna.

RstJ

RstJ
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had seen that picture on the web as well. Struck me as looking rather "amarna-esque".
Could be wishful thinking on my part Very Happy

There's also mention of the tomb on a newsblog by Jane Akshar
http://touregypt.net/teblog/luxornews/

She mentions actually seeing the tomb.

I found the following interesting:
Quote:
Dr Schaden joked that it could be the gardener. We know that only very important people would be accorded a burial in the Valley of Kings so it could be a noble but it equally well could be someone more significant. Dr Hawass speculated ‘it could be noble, a queen or even a king, perhaps one of the lost mummies like Hatshepsut. He expected that this information would be available soon, from the evidence available at the moment it is felt we are dealing with a possible cache rather than a tomb burial.

(italics are mine)
RobertStJames
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zahi was in fine form on the webcast, totally excited, as well he should be. If one of those coffins contains Nefertiti, it's going to be the find of the century, especially if she has one of those exquisite gold death masks.

The webcast clearly showed one of the coffins having at least one crossed arm. Two of Tut's sisters were Queens, so it could be one of them. Or perhaps Tiye, maybe Kiya. Lots of missing persons from that era, and maybe just now we're beginning to find out why they were missing--they'd been moved from Amarna to cachettes in KV.

But it's still speculation. Do Schaden and Hawass already know and they're just playing possum until they can make a huge announcement? Wouldn't there be hiero on the outside of those coffins that would immediately identify the occupants?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One would think they should be able to get some info from the tomb.
Heck, I would mount a video camera on the end of a stick and do a survey of the coffins by angling the camera over the objects Laughing

There must have also been seals on the door. If the tomb was never disturbed there must have been necropolis seals etc.

It may be that they are "playing possum" Very Happy It's a good way to get a lot of free publicity and PR. TV special anyone?

The identity of the person in the coffin with the crossed arm(s) will be interesting to find out. There are quite a few royals from the period missing. There are no women at all from the time period I think (unless we believe that some of the mummies form the side chamber of KV 35 belong to this general period).

Finding Merytaten would be really neat. Her age at death will tell us more about the ages of some of the other individuals. Nefertiti would be really funny considering the attempts in the last couple of years to identify her with mummies from KV 35.

They're having quite a year in egypt with all the finds this year. First the beautiful Queen's statue, then more statues from Amenhotep III's temple, then this spectacular find and another tomb in the hills of Thebes.
I wonder what else is in store?
kennethhirst
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: wonderful news Reply with quote

cant believe it what if it turns out to be ankhasanamun got to take the next flight out are you coming kmt-sesh Very Happy
ELISE
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the face on the closest coffin appears quite Armana-esque.

The features remind me a little of the golden tutulery divinities guarding Tutankhamen's canopic shrine.

And yes, I know identifications using physiogomy rather than inscriptional evidence are generally regarded as pretty unscientific but I can't help myself Wink
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Amarna-esque people there was a discussion a few days ago on Glyphdoctors forum, News section (not sure if I'm allowed to post links to another forum, but google will find it) on Dr Hawass making an announcement regarding finds relating to Nefertiti. It seems either Hawass was jumping the gun on this new tomb (KV 63) find or that the people on the tour misheard what was said. Either way it was interesting.

I find it quite surprising really that in articles is says that it had been thought that the Kings Valley had been exausted of tombs. How could that possibly be known in what is quite a large area with much of it being difficult to access? I'm sure there is still more to be found - hoping so anyway.
Meritaten
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caught this on the news last night while I was staying with a friend. Hit the roof promptly. Had a bellow at the screen 'dating! what date!' Friend - who had caught an earlier broadcast - said casually 'Oh, late 18th Dynasty, I think they said.' Logged on here as I thought it might be a hot topic of discussion.

Now I know it's not going to be Meritaten or Ankhesenamen - I'm telling myself this repeatedly, because that would just be too good to be true - but even just a little shred more information to shed light on the final years of the 18th Dynasty and the post-Akhenaten succession would be enough to turn cartwheels over...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 2 of 17

Jump to: