Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KV-63 : A new tomb discovered next to King Tut's
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How about it, Egyptian Dreams members? Wanna go dig up a tomb?

LOL you can count me in on that. I wish Reeves and Hawass would just throw their differences aside for the time being and organize some kind of an excavation. The problem is that once the spot is excavated one of them is going to be proved wrong and I doubt either one of them would enjoy that.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Reeves would personally mind all that much were he proven wrong. Sure he'd be disappointed (as all of us would), but he just wants the anomaly to get the scientific attention it deserves. Hawass appears to be the one who's turning it into some kind of fracas.

Hawass's response of "I am writing you to state that the information is not true" still burns me. He seems to be dismissing the possibility of KV64 without anyone's properly investigating it.

And as I was typing this it occurred to me that once again I'm contributing to getting us off topic. This discussion is about KV63. We have a different discussion going for KV64 and it's still pretty new, so we might as well keep our debates about that tomb there.

Click here for the discussion on KV64. Wink

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed on a newsblog that Hawass is making some rather unprofessional statements in Al-Ahram:

Quote:
Excavations continue in the Valley of the Kings inside tomb KV63, which has now been identified as a storage place for embalming materials. The little curse of this tomb continues. In a previous article, I told the story of this remarkable discovery and the fight between the two Egyptologists Otto Shaden and Lorilei Cocron, who both wanted to be director of the excavation. Since that article was published many things have happened. Cocron came back to Egypt from Memphis and wanted to take photographs of the excavation. Shaden, as the official director according to the concession, prevented her from doing so. Mansour Boraik, director of Luxor antiquities, told me that Cocron had been seen sobbing in the valley. I do not know what we can do to resolve this problem but I believe we must encourage them both to finish their work, because the wood is deteriorating and they still have two coffins (one for an adult and one for a child) that have not been opened. Shaden wanted to leave the excavation for 10 days while he presented a talk at the American Research Center in New Jersey, and planned to close the excavation because he would not be there. I thought this might be dangerous because the work should have continued and conservation needed to be done."

Why is he airing the Memphis team dirty laundry? That is just completely ridiculous.

Are there really still 2 unopened coffins? I was under the impression all had been opened?

There's more on this site:

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2006/808/hr1.htm
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now isn't this an interesting turn of events? It's full of bizarre stuff. Confused I definitely agree that Hawass has no business reporting this kind of information, like some gossip leaning over the fence and whispering to a neighbor. I'm surprised by how unprofessional it is. To me Hawass comes across here as rather ridiculous.

As for the two unopened coffins, I have no idea where Hawass is coming from. By the airing of the second of the Discovery Channel episodes I'm almost positive that the only two unopened coffins were Coffin E and the little infant coffin on the floor next to it. They opened Coffin E during the television episode and could not open the little one because it had collapsed and was ruined (but you could tell it contained no mummy, by how sunken the collapsed lid was).

No doubt, anneke, you have read the KV63 article in the latest KMT issue? It starts on page 18. The article is already outdated because it was written before the second television special, but aside from these two coffins, only a number of the storage jars had yet to be opened. By now they probably have been, unless Schaden's team is waiting till the start of next year's season, but I'm sure all of the coffins have been opened. I see that the article in your link is dated "17 - 23 August 2006," but maybe it's possible this article was also written prior to the second Discovery Channel special. I don't know if that makes sense, though.

I am confused about a particular thing in Hawass's article. I remember reading in a recent issue of KMT that the SCA specifically approached Schaden and his team to excavate KV63; they had to shelve their work in KV10 to do KV63. So I don't know what Hawass means about "the fight between the two Egyptologists Otto Shaden and Lorilei Cocron, who both wanted to be director of the excavation," unless the information in that previous KMT article was in error.

Hawass's article has me thinking about something. I'm going to throw it out here and you can do with it what you will. Feel free to snicker at it. In the most recent issue of KMT, Dennis Forbes's Editors Report and the KV63 article both make it clear that the assigning of KV63 to Kiya (or to Ankhesenamun or any other specific person) was not the doing of Schaden or his team. Here's a quote from the article:

Quote:
Schaden's philosophy in excavating KV63 is simple: locate the artifacts, study them, consider the data and then, and only then, draw conclusions based on the facts. As KV63 Associate Director Earl Ertman points out, Schaden seldom speculates, but rather observes, records and lets the evidence determine the outcome and answer the questions.

This kind of stuff and the Editor's Report both seem to me to be an effort to remove fanciful theories from the professional efforts of Schaden's team. In other words, they are distancing themselve's from Hawass's whimsical Kiya/KV63 fairy tale. And they're doing it in a very public and official manner, in a periodical with which Hawass himself is often involved.

Is it possible Hawass is trying to "get even" with colleagues who don't see eye to eye with him? I don't otherwise see why Hawass would write such things in an article of his own. He comes across as petty and perhaps even vindictive.

Messy business, this.

Visit my blog!
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Those are absurd statements from Hawass. He comes across yet again as a petulant and vindictive child.

Dr Schaden never seemed to be led by the nose over Hawass's Kiya statements and the long running joke was his comment 'maybe its the tomb of the gardner'. I think Mr Forbe's comments were spot on.

I find it particularly hard to believe that Hawass's gossipy comment regarding Dr Cocron seen sobbing in the valley would have been caused by Dr Schaden - who is a kind gentleman, the same could not be said of Hawass's treatment of women who must work with him.

I believe everyone had left KV 63 a few weeks ago, there does'nt seem to be any activity there.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dr Schaden never seemed to be led by the nose over Hawass's Kiya statements and the long running joke was his comment 'maybe its the tomb of the gardner'. I think Mr Forbe's comments were spot on.

Long-running joke? Why didn't someone let me in on this? It's the first I heard that one and, damn, it cracked me up. Laughing It does seem clear to me that Schaden and Ertman and colleagues like Forbes are making an effort professionally to distance themselves from Hawass's publicity-motivated theories. Saying that the tomb was made for Kiya might make for good television, but it is neither prudent nor responsible. For professionals like Schaden and Ertman and Forbes and Reeves, it must be a challenge at times to have to deal with Hawass. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I find it particularly hard to believe that Hawass's gossipy comment regarding Dr Cocron seen sobbing in the valley would have been caused by Dr Schaden

Yes, this struck me as particularly bizarre. It just doesn't seem to fit. Most of all, whether or not it's true, it's galling that Hawass should think in the first place that it's even any of his business--and that he had any business to relate it publicly like some silly gossip.

Quote:
I believe everyone had left KV 63 a few weeks ago, there does'nt seem to be any activity there.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the KV63 article in the new issue of KMT was already dated before they went to press, and it mentions that a number of the storage jars had yet to be opened. I wonder if everything has been unsealed by this time? I do like how the article expresses that Schaden and his team will first weigh all of the evidence before they come to any conclusions.

Visit my blog!
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Long-running joke? Why didn't someone let me in on this? It's the first I heard that one and, damn, it cracked me up.

Laughing Me too.
It was Dr Schaden's almost first quote when he was asked who might be buried in KV 63. All the other experts had had their say with regards to various royals, then the Dr's comment when asked his thoughts "Maybe its the gardner". He'd already noted it wasn't a royal burial nor contained royal burial goods.
He said it so dryly - just classic, and subsequently was probably very close to the mark, even though there was no actual burial.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it was classic. Razz And it fits with his character as described in the KMT article. Schaden's not one to rush to judgement. Hawass might want to take notes.

Visit my blog!
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otto's Dig Diary

26 NOVEMBER 2006

Since the closing of KV10 and KV63 on July I6th I have been busy with reports to the SCA and a proposal for the 2007 season which will commence in February or March 2007. Our immediate plans will include continued conservation work on the coffins, exploration of the remaining storage jars, consolidation of various artifacts, and mending of ceramic vessels. The conservation work on the coffins will be a top priority, as we attempt to identify names and texts on the KV63 coffins.

Till next year,

Otto Schaden

On the link that I provided you will find new Foto's
http://www.kv-63.com/photospage2.html
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the update, Rozette. It's nice to keep up with what the team is doing these days. The photos also were nice to see.

Smile

Visit my blog!
ELISE
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an update on the KV-63 site saying that continuation of the excavation will be slightly delayed this year. Otto Shaden suffered a heart attack in November - though now seems to be well on the road to recovery - and there are some lectures planned that the team want to get out of the way before starting work again.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know about Schaden's heart attack. That's a frightening thing to hear but I'm glad he's on the road to recovery. My, it would be grand to attend one of those lectures. Is there any information on where they'll be held?

Visit my blog!
eye_of_horus
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Otto Schaden will put this excavation on hiatus and give lectures for a while while he recuperates from his heart attack?

Reading the post including his dig diary, it looks like he should be on his way back to excavating the tomb to find the its identity this month.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's pretty much everything ELISE just said. Let's try to flesh out discussions a bit more. Wink

Visit my blog!
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Otto Schaden is back in Luxor Razz !!! And officially opened KV-10 and KV-63 on the 6th of January.

Otto's Dig Diary

7 JANUARY 2009

Our 2009 Season has begun...
Dr. Otto Schaden safely arrived in Luxor and officially opened KV-10 and KV-63 on the 6th of January.
In Otto's words....KV-10 (where everything is stored) is 'very dusty!' but the cleaning crew are already hard at work.

Thus far, there is not much to report however we are happy to announce that Inspector Ezzat has been reassigned to us. For those of you who may not recall, Ezzat was the original SCA inspector assigned to us when KV-63 was discovery in February 2006. We are very glad to have him back.

The rest of the team will begin to arrive by the end of this week.
More soon.....

Status Report by Roxanne Wilson
http://www.kv-63.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: