Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Memoirs of Cleopatra" is a pretty good read

View previous topic :: View next topic  
queencleopatra
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: "Memoirs of Cleopatra" is a pretty good read Reply with quote

This book is got some interesting points, and thoughts, told by Margret George. It is about Cleopatra and told through her eyes, although some things are a bit off the mark. Like saying Cleopatra was really thin is a lie, but most of it is good.

Cleopatra's Note
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wondered about this book. I have seen it plenty times in the bookstore, but have never gotten around to buying it.

I think that author has written several other good books, if I remember correctly.

Welcome to the board by the way Very Happy
queencleopatra
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you. I really like it here, i find it refreshing to talk freely about egyptian history. Smile

I would reccomend it to anyone who has an interest in Queen Cleopatra VII. And she has written two other books, One about Mary Queen of Scotts and the other about king henry. Not sure which one though.

Cleopatra's Note
imanobody
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board queencleopatra! I think you'll find this to be one of the nicest boards around... hey, they haven't banned me yet! Very Happy

Anyway, I find it very hard to give books like this any credit. I'm not bashing the author, or anything like that, it's just that I believe it's too temping to put a modern day spin on things. To me it would be impossible for anyone of today to really look at the world through an ancient's point of view. We have such a politically correct society that a person of today is incapable of viewing that world. Most we can do is look at the facts of the time and judge for ourselves, but I don't think we can really say what a person back then thought... unless they wrote it down. Wink
queencleopatra
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, it is hard to read something that you never know if it is true, but to be fair, the author does her best.

Cleopatra's Note
imanobody
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure she does and I'm not trying to say that she didn't do a good job. It's just that I think it's impossible to view the world through another culture's eye's, especially one that is as old as Egypt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: