Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favourite God or Goddess ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who is your favourite God or Goddess ?
Amun
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Ra
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Osiris
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Isis
33%
 33%  [ 5 ]
Ma'at
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Set
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Anubis
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Thoth
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Hathor
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Horus
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15

Tutenstein
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then beware of the curse of Anubis!

Anubis

In Anubis We Trust
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...but there is just one problem with it; my favourite god from that list is Thoth. I could make Anubis a close second favourite.

But the results show that out of the whopping fifteen people who voted, Anubis (my own choice, too) got 20% while poor Thoth got only 6%. Are you the one person who voted for Thoth?

It does indeed seem that the voting is no longer allowed. Hey, I'm a Moderator and I don't know how these polls work. It would appear that there is some sort of time limit.

Who would you have most preferred, Henutmire? The goddess Seshat? Or perhaps Zena? Laughing

Visit my blog!
Tutenstein
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xena Laughing But Lucy Lawless isn't as beautiful as she was.

What do you think? Am I wrong?
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
But the results show that out of the whopping fifteen people who voted, Anubis (my own choice, too) got 20% while poor Thoth got only 6%. Are you the one person who voted for Thoth?

It's possible that I was the only person that voted for Thoth, but if that's the case, then it was way back when this thread was first started as the voting doesn't work anymore. Why is Thoth so unpopular, anyway?

kmt_sesh wrote:
Who would you have most preferred, Henutmire? The goddess Seshat? Or perhaps Zena?

Oh, man, I've got so many favourites! Where to begin??

1. Meretseger: because of the connection with Deir el-Medina, and because people went to her for forgiveness for their actions (in a sense), which is interesting.
2. Seshat: how can I not love the only female to be depicted writing from ancient Egypt?! Plus, she wears cool leopard print dress.
3. Thoth: well, he was said to have taught the Egyptians the art of writing, which is why he's one of my favourites.
4. Sobek: he's been one of my favourites for many years, I'm not really sure why, but he had a massive following in ancient Egypt, so he must've been doing something right.
5. Seth: well, what's the world without a bit of chaos? A bit boring, right?
6. Meskhenet: in a land where having children was very important to the people, you've got to have a goddess of chilbirth, and she's my favourite, what with the cool headdress and all...
7. Min: god of fertility! Need I say more?!
8. Khnum: the creation of children and their ka (I think it's the ka, anyway) on his potter's wheel is what I like most about Khnum.
9. Anubis: I just added him in to keep all you Anubis fans quiet. Razz Nah, there has to be some god to do with mummification, otherwise how would present day people be able look upon the faces of so many rulers from ancient times.

Okay, I'll stop now as I could probably go on and on all day but, ^^ check it out! I made my own little ennead! Laughing Now, all I need to do is think up a mythology for how all these deities came to be connected with each other, then I can have my own cult centre in the middle of England. Wink It does seem that I don't favourite any of the regular ones like Isis, Ma'at, Ra etc. Idea That's kind of odd, I guess.

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
ellie-asthenia
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my favourtie is Isis.
I'm starting a band named after her and everything =D
egyptianscribe
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Poor Thoth Reply with quote

Quote:
Why is Thoth so unpopular, anyway?

I would have voted for Thoth poor god of wisdom and recorder of judgement.
Quote:
Anubis: I just added him in to keep all you Anubis fans quiet.

Anubis is not my favorite AE god but he is fun to paint. I love the Egyptian judgement scene!
Quote:
In fact he has no wings but I don't know who drew him with wings.

Artistic creativity Smile "When jackals fly."
Tutenstein
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ellie-asthenia wrote:
my favourtie is Isis.
I'm starting a band named after her and everything =D

I'm not sure but I think I have seen a band named Isis in Vampirefreaks Very Happy
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoth's a favourite of mine too...maybe some people think he's too brainy to be a favourite? That's why I like him so...I love the old 'geek with a beak' (no offence to the ibis god, it's a term of endearment Smile ) because he's a god of writing and language, science, astronomy, the moon, time, and wisdom and knowledge, and as I study astronomy, no wonder I've got major respect for him Very Happy
quietly
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah xena. love4

thoth is an excellent choice. so isisinacrisis, you study astronomy at a university? sounds like a fascinating subject, i find myself quite fond of the night sky. i could gaze at the heavens for hours.

anubis is one of my favs, hes muchly handsome...almost sexy..as is min.....and for that matter, as is xena.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tutenstein wrote:
Quote:
What do you think? Am I wrong?

Eeewww. No, you're definitely right. And Lucy Lawless makes for a much better brunette than a blonde. Or maybe it's just all that leather. Twisted Evil

Daughter_Of_SETI wrote:
Quote:
Why is Thoth so unpopular, anyway?

He has that really long, weird beak. All the other gods make fun of him. LOL Seriously I don't know that this little poll accurately reflects how popular Thoth may be among people well versed in Egyptian deities, and it certainly doesn't reflect how important he was to the Egyptians. I also find Thoth interesting and for much the same reason you do--he is said to have brought writing to the Egyptians.

Quote:
1. Meretseger: because of the connection with Deir el-Medina, and because people went to her for forgiveness for their actions (in a sense), which is interesting.

I should've thought of that one, given your interest in the workmen's village. She made quite a mark in her time, especially considering her popularity among the Egyptians pretty much ended with the New Kingdom. Once the Valley of the Kings was abandoned, it would seem she also was, but I guess that makes sense.

Her role as the forgiver of sins is indeed interesting, considering it was not a concept much embraced by Egyptian religion. Many people try to find some similarity with the Negative Confession but of course it's not the same thing.

Quote:
5. Seth: well, what's the world without a bit of chaos? A bit boring, right?

Laughing I always knew you were something of a rebel.

Quote:
7. Min: god of fertility! Need I say more?!

I was about to say "Please do" but thought better of it.

Quote:
9. Anubis: I just added him in to keep all you Anubis fans quiet.

Applause Applause Applause

Quote:
^^ check it out! I made my own little ennead!

#Rofl Hmm, that must be the mysterious Yorkshirian Ennead. Egyptologists are still puzzling over that one.

Visit my blog!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the Oriental Institute today, Daughter_Of_SETI, and came across a small stela I'd never before bothered to examine closely. It dates to the reign of Ramesses III and was commissioned by the mayor of Thebes, who was also a vizier. I thought I'd share it with you because it shows the mayor in the top register venerating Ptah and, one of your favorites, Meretseger. Here's the stela:

It's not in the best condition and I also must appologize for the questionable quality of the photo, which was the best of several that I shot. I thought Ptah was an interesting choice for this Theban mayor to be worshiping, but Meretseger makes perfect sense. Unfortunately the part of the stela where she is featured is somewhat damaged but you can see her well enough, seated on a throne behind Ptah. The ladies lined up in the bottom register are family members of the mayor.

The inscription reads: "Daughter_Of_SETI, beloved of Meretseger, secret paramour of the mayor of Thebes, justified."

Laughing All right, so it doesn't say that. Truth is, I haven't tried to translate this stela yet, and the glyphs are hard to see well in many places. It's not featured in the O.I. catalogue of the Egyptian gallery, which was written by Emily Teeter, but I have access to some of her notes and translations so I'd like to see how she has translated it. I'll see about that the next time I'm at the O.I. That will probably not be for a couple of weeks, so if you're interested in knowing the translation it may be necessary for you to hound me till then and to keep reminding me. You know how forgetful and addled I am.

emhotep

Visit my blog!
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
I thought Ptah was an interesting choice for this Theban mayor to be worshiping, but Meretseger makes perfect sense. Unfortunately the part of the stela where she is featured is somewhat damaged but you can see her well enough, seated on a throne behind Ptah. The ladies lined up in the bottom register are family members of the mayor.

Thanks for posting that, Kmt_sesh, it's very beautiful. The photo is excellent, it's just a shame that there's so much damage on the left hand side of the stela. I wondered if you can tell from seeing the stela in person whether Meretseger is being depicted human-headed or cobra-headed (I can't tell)? I thought that Ptah and Meretseger were often worshipped together at the same chapels and temples, but I don't know how uncommon it was to actually see them depicted together. I don't think I've ever come across a depiction of Meretseger enthroned, though. Maybe she was just depicted enthroned because she was in the company of Ptah. Idea Did you happen to see what the name of the Mayor was, by any chance, Kmt_sesh?

kmt_sesh wrote:
...I haven't tried to translate this stela yet, and the glyphs are hard to see well in many places. It's not featured in the O.I. catalogue of the Egyptian gallery, which was written by Emily Teeter, but I have access to some of her notes and translations so I'd like to see how she has translated it. I'll see about that the next time I'm at the O.I. That will probably not be for a couple of weeks, so if you're interested in knowing the translation it may be necessary for you to hound me till then and to keep reminding me.

Well, the only part that I can read is the bit that says "Meretseger" above Ptah's head (or more precisely "Merseger"). Laughing I'd be very interested in what the stela says, or what it's about. Very Happy Very Happy So, next time you tell us you're off to the OI, I should post a message in each section of the forum, saying, "Don't forget to see if you can find out what the Meretseger / Ptah stela says"? notworthy Maybe not, you'd only have to go around deleting all my posts off the forum after that. Wink

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wondered if you can tell from seeing the stela in person whether Meretseger is being depicted human-headed or cobra-headed (I can't tell)?

Strangely enough she has the head of a penguin in this one. It's the incredibly rare Sahara penguin which went extinct because the Egyptians killed them all to make loin cloths.

Laughing Man, what's gotten into me? Penguin?

On this stela she is shown fully as a woman, including her head.

Quote:
I thought that Ptah and Meretseger were often worshipped together at the same chapels and temples, but I don't know how uncommon it was to actually see them depicted together.

See, I didn't know that, but you're much more familiar with Meretseger than I am. The only reason I thought it odd was that this was a mayor of Thebes, so I would've expected a deity more native to the Theban region than the Memphite region, although I know Ptah was important in the south, too. Was Ptah a common god of veneration at Deir el Medina? Is it because of his role as "god of craftsmen"? I was wondering about that and it puzzled me because this guy wasn't a craftsman but a bureaucrat. Idea

Quote:
I don't think I've ever come across a depiction of Meretseger enthroned, though.

Also interesting, Daughter_Of_SETI. I would've thought it not unusual because she was a royal titulary goddess above and beyond her popularity to the people of the Village. Wow, if I have any questions about Meretseger, I'll just turn to you. Smile

Quote:
Did you happen to see what the name of the Mayor was, by any chance, Kmt_sesh?

The label copy didn't provide the mayor's name, which I found rather annoying, but Teeter's notes to which I referred contain translations to most of the artifacts, so that's why I want to see them. I'm also curious. I know that one of the Theban mayer's during this time was Ptahemheb, but I don't see that name in the glyphs on the stela.

Quote:
So, next time you tell us you're off to the OI, I should post a message in each section of the forum, saying, "Don't forget to see if you can find out what the Meretseger / Ptah stela says"?

Ahh, there you go. That ought to help. And maybe you could add an audio feature that screams this at me every time I log onto Thoth and click into one of the forums. I'll keep my volume turned all the way up to make the experience more memorable--and therefore etched more painfully into my brain. Laughing

Visit my blog!
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
Was Ptah a common god of veneration at Deir el Medina? Is it because of his role as "god of craftsmen"? I was wondering about that and it puzzled me because this guy wasn't a craftsman but a bureaucrat.

Yeah, Ptah was worshipped a lot at Deir el-Medina alongside Meretseger (but not in the coupling sense, like Isis and Osiris were), as they shared temples and such at the Peak of the West. Ptah became worshipped there because, like you said, he was the god of the artisans, but I can't understand how that influenced a mayor to worship him. There are many inscriptions at the Ptah / Meretseger sanctuary dating to Ramses III's reign, so maybe Ptah just gained prominence there around that time by the favour of the king. I guess that could explain it. Confused

kmt_sesh wrote:
Also interesting, Daughter_Of_SETI. I would've thought it not unusual because she was a royal titulary goddess above and beyond her popularity to the people of the Village.

I know that on a couple of occasions Meretseger was depicted in royal tombs, but I've never really seen any of those scenes, so maybe she's depicted in tombs enthroned. Usually on stela scenes, she's depicted as a cobra, or a cobra-headed woman. The only scene I've seen of her as a fully human goddess is on their sanctuary wall, where she's breast-feeding a pharaoh.

It's a very unusual stela. Very Happy I can't wait to hear more about it. Wink

Shepenmut
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fav God is Ptah-Sokar-Wesir followed by Ma'ahes. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: