Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mummy on board Titanic ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sobek101
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Cool story Reply with quote

That ship was sinking, people were fighting for their lives and some saw a mummy standing on the deck? Come on, give me a break![/quote]

I'm sure I read it somewhere
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Cool story Reply with quote

Sobek101 wrote:
That ship was sinking, people were fighting for their lives and some saw a mummy standing on the deck? Come on, give me a break!

I'm sure I read it somewhere[/quote]

Sobek,

I don't argue with crocodiles, and I am sure someone has written something like this, but it was my sincere reaction to that what was written

Richard, aka
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Sobek101
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Cool story Reply with quote

Toth wrote:
Sobek101 wrote:
That ship was sinking, people were fighting for their lives and some saw a mummy standing on the deck? Come on, give me a break!

Sobek,

I don't argue with crocodiles, and I am sure someone has written something like this, but it was my sincere reaction to that what was written

Richard, aka[/quote]

That's ok, I like to quote to back up my opinion, I'll give you a quote once I find it (I have forgotten wether it's in my HH book or my Horrible Geography book about archaeology
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Cool story Reply with quote

Sobek101 wrote:
Toth wrote:
Sobek101 wrote:
Toth wrote:

Sobek,

Richard, aka

That's ok, I like to quote to back up my opinion, I'll give you a quote once I find it (I have forgotten wether it's in my HH book or my Horrible Geography book about archaeology

Looking forward to it! BTW: Fixed the unbalanced quote tag.
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is interesting, I wonder if it is true. I was in the Vizcaya museum, in Miami Florida, and there was a silverware set that was missing, it was aboard the Titanic. The museum is nice, it is like a mansion really, it is nice it has gardens and art and nice architecture. I used to go there a lot with my dad.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sara E. Orel : Aegyptiaca Titanica. - In: Journal of the Society for the Study of Egyptian Antiquities - JSSEA 32. - 2005. - pp. 131 - 137. - Page 131 - 132 :
Quote:
"... As with many other disasters, some immediate attempts to explain it drew on supernatural causes. While human agency was also blamed by some, shortly after the sinking there were stories in circulation that the ship was lost because of a “mummy’s curse.” The outline of the legend is presented, among other locations, on the web site of the British Museum’s Department of Ancient Egypt and Sudan. In fact, the “Unlucky Mummy” story predates the sinking of the Titanic. The “mummy” in question is actually an inner coffin lid from the burial of an unnamed twenty-second dynasty woman (EA 22542).

While in private hands, this object was purported to have been responsible for damage in whatever room it was placed, and it was credited with bad luck and even deaths. The mummy was given to the British Museum, but the disasters associated with it continued. Because of these continued problems the museum sold it to an American who was bringing it to the United States on the Titanic.

Some versions of the story say it survived this sinking by being taken off the ship on a lifeboat, while other narratives leave the mummy on the ship when it sank.

The earliest publication linking the Titanic sinking with a mummy’s curse was The New York World, four days after the sinking. Frederic K. Seward, a first-class passenger saved from the ship, reported that the journalist and social crusader William T. Stead, who was editor of the Pall Mall Gazette as well as a periodical devoted to psychic phenomena, had told him the story in the First Class Dining Saloon. According to the article “Story that Meant Bad Luck Told by Stead During Trip,” the mummy case “had had amazing adventures, but … punished with great calamities any person who wrote its story.” This being the circumstance, Stead had insisted that he would never write the story, but apparently did not think that simply telling the story would bring that bad fortune.

While the object does exist, with the accession number noted in an early newspaper account, it has never left the collection of the British Museum; in fact, it has only been on loan from the museum once since it was donated. There is, of course, no evidence at all that any mummy was taken off the ship and placed on a lifeboat; there are no contemporary accounts of a mummy having even been loaded onto the ship as cargo. ...

Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" The British Museum -> Collection online -> The Unlucky Mummy (EA 22542) "
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Sobek. Is that photo you have as your signature, a photo of one of the sculptures in Disney Land? I think I saw it on the rollercoaster called "The Mummy."
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meant to say Disney World. Is it from Disney World?
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went on "the Mummy" ride at Disney World Orlando Resort. I was about to leave the line, because I was scared, I had never been on a rollercoaster bigger than the dragon coaster at the fair, some 30 yards across. I turned to get out of line and leave, and I saw a little girl probably 5 years old half my height in the line. I thought to myself if she could face it I could. Anyway I think I saw that crocodile statue in the waiting line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mummification All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: