Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mystery of the Cocaine Mummies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How did Tobacco find its way into Egyptian Mummies ?
False Mummies
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Ancient Trade Route
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Ancient Species of Tobacco
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
Contamination
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 11

kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wasn't one of the main reasons why the AE's didn't go too far out to sea, because they were afraid of dying away from home, incase they didn't get a proper burial - therefore not making it into the afterlife?

That's exactly true. We even see that reflected in ancient Egyptian literature, especially theTale of Sinuhe. There's this line, for instance: "What matters more than being buried in the land where I was born?"

I think you're right about the trading situation. It may have been true later on that "All roads lead to Rome," but much farther back I think it's safe to say that "All paths lead to Egypt." All throughout the Levant and the eastern Mediterranean there was trade with Egypt. And what Egypt didn't acquire in direct trade from foreign lands, the foreingers brought it to them. We see this as far back as the Minoans and the Mycenaeans, the ancestors of the Greeks.

Quote:
That's how I would suspect they got hold of tobacco and such (that's if they did). I wouldn't have thought that they smoked it though (there's no depictions of anyone smoking, that I'm aware of, and if anyone was going to be a smoker in AE it'd most likely be a Paraoh, being that thre'd be very few that could afford to).

LOL In the famous Dynasty 5 double-mastaba of Niankhhnum and Khnumhotep, in the Saqqara necropolis, is a wonderful wall painting of a Memphis marketplace. One of the scenes is of a woman who runs a sort of tavern and she's pouring beer for a male customer. This man looks for all the world like he's sucking on a cigar. That's what I think of it every time I see it (we have a reproduction of this wall painting in our exhibit at the Field). It sure looks like a cigar, or maybe it's a pickle. A candy bar, perhaps?

No, I'm sticking with cigar. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL is that for real? Is there really an Egyptian depiction of smoking or was that a joke? I'm still very doubtful that the Egyptians smoked tobacco...if this picture is real, can you show us?
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kmt_sesh, Isn't the tomb you're refering to - The tomb of the two 'brothers'? I tried to find the picture, but all I kept finding were the one's of them embracing (Aww, bless).
On touregypt it does mention the marketplace scene, but it doesn't show any pictures of it. Evil or Very Mad

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kmt_sesh, Isn't the tomb you're refering to - The tomb of the two 'brothers'?

Yes, Daughter_Of_SETI, that's the one. It's variously known as the Tomb of the Two Brothers or the Tomb of the Two Hairdressers or the Tomb of the Two Lovers, depending on what your interest and/or agenda might be. They were definitely manicurists and were personal attendants of Niuserre, in Dynasty 5.

I didn't even bother trying to do a web search for such an obscure scene from a tomb that's more than 4,400 years old, so see below...

isisinacrisis wrote:
Quote:
I'm still very doubtful that the Egyptians smoked tobacco...if this picture is real, can you show us?

Here it is. The only good photo I had with this particular scene happened to be a black and white, so I outlined the fellow in red:

In all seriousness I think the guy is eating an onion. There are lots of onions on this wall painting. The object he's sticking in his mouth is green, so that in itself points to an onion (the Egyptians drew these very realistically, although several sizes larger than they would actually be).

I sometimes use this wall in my tours to show people snippets of every-day life. This is a reproduction and was deliberately rendered in a New Kingdom color scheme, but it's fun to show the guests. This particular scene of the "cigar smoker" is interesting because (1) it shows a woman running her own business, (2) her dress is dyed green instead of white, and (3) it demonstrates the manner in which the Egyptians would strain their bear before actually consuming it. Wink

Visit my blog!
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the picture kmt_sesh.
The object in his mouth is green - could be mouldy bread. Laughing

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, come to think of it, that thing kind of looks like a big ol' fat snail. Surprised

Visit my blog!
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, you've probably already seen this site, but they have lots of scenes from the Niankhkhnum and Khnumhotep's tomb, including the scene that you posted kmt_sesh. It's a very detailed scene in its entireity. Very Happy
If you scroll down the page until you get to view 1, and click on it (I think it was under the heading 'North wall').
http://www.osirisnet.net/mastabas/niankh/e_niankh.htm
I just thought I'd post the link, as I found it really interesting.

kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the wall, Daughter_Of_SETI. Thanks for the link. I've actually never looked up that particular tomb on Osiris.net so it was fun to peruse. That's the wall our museum has reproduced in full color (though the colors actually represent New Kingdom pigments in our case). You see our "cigar smoker" at lower right, and unfortunately there's a big chunk of wall missing right where the "cigar" is. It's just occurred to me that maybe this is why the object he's biting is a bit "anonymous" in our reproduction--too much of the object is missing to be sure what it originally was. Confused

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mummification All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: