Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tut Exhibition Book!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And mummified, maybe. They'd find your desiccated corpse and think you were an Amarna mummy, and you'd end up in a museum display case with some Amarna pots and ushabtis.

That would be some terrible luck!

Quote:
On my first trip to the Amarna area, it was even more deserted and lonely of a place than it is now.

That really is sad, especially since the city was once so full of life. Did you happen to take any pictures? Wink

Quote:
I could swear the spirits of those who lived there were all around me! It was, in a way, very spooky-feeling!

It could have been your mind playing tricks on you, or maybe it actually was something more! Either way it is fun to think about.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At that time, anneke, (1987) I wasn't even aware of digital cameras--I don't think they were made then, so I don't have any pictures I can print on-line. I have some "real" pictures I took with my 35mm camera, but my scanner's not working right, so I can't get them up either!

I think you're right about the mind playing tricks on me, thinking that spitis of the peoples of the past were still there. But who knows? Maybe they were...
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't ask the question about photographs, but I have to admit I have been wondering for a while what kind of wonderful photographs you must have after your travels Very Happy
I love your descriptions of the sights you have seen. You seem to have a wonderful eye for detail, and a knack for relaying them in the written word. I wouldn't be surprised if that translated into your photographs as well.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your kind words, anneke! I wish I could share some of my photos--modestly, I must say that they are really good!
Seriously, though, I do have a lot. There are some older ones to, that make me realize how much things have changed for the tourists over the years. I can remember when you'd go to the VOK, fighting your way into the Valley through the "antika" salespeople--"look, look Mr. Jim! Real ( insert item here) just found in old tomb! I let you have it very cheaply!". Once there, you were free to wander around all day, if you wished, going into whatever tomb you wanted to see by paying a really cheap entrance fee at the tomb.Now, the antika are gone, banished to the end of the Valley. You pay an entrance fee to spend a short time in a small number of tombs. "Times, they are a' changin!"
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I didn't ask the question about photographs...

No, but he were dying to anyway, so he was just anticipating you. Laughing

Osiris II, you could always scan some photos and upload them to a site like Photobucket.

Visit my blog!
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I could, kmt_sesh. But unfortunately, my scanner's not working right--serves me right for getting a $99 special...
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know I could, kmt_sesh. But unfortunately, my scanner's not working right--serves me right for getting a $99 special...

Well, all hope is not yet lost. You could always go to a photomat and have many copies of the prints made (at your expense) and then mail each of us those copies (at your expense). Very Happy

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osiris II wrote:
... I do have a lot. There are some older ones to, that make me realize how much things have changed for the tourists over the years.

That must be interesting, seeing the changes over the years.

Osiris II wrote:
--"look, look Mr. Jim! Real ( insert item here) just found in old tomb! I let you have it very cheaply!".

LOL I remember that from the one and only time I was in Egypt. Some man offerred me "real ushabtis, from King Tut's tomb".
I couldn't keep a straight face I'm afraid. I laughed out loud.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Some man offerred me "real ushabtis, from King Tut's tomb".
I couldn't keep a straight face I'm afraid. I laughed out loud.

Was it the "Made in China" stamp on the bottoms that gave them away? Razz

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: