Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sphinx will get a "facelift"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Here's an interesting, fairly direct comparison between the Sphinx when it was still part submerged in the desert and when they uncovered it completely.
Looks like they did a good chunk of restoration work on the face back then.

That's a very dramatic photo, luther. I've never thought of doing a side-by-side comparison like that, but it really shows the amount of work that has gone into the Sphinx.

It reminds me of Hatshepsut's beautiful temple at Deir el Bahri. I've seen many old photos in books of the disrepair in which this temple was found by modern explorers and archaeologists, and it's amazing what they have done in recent years to restore it to something of its former glory. Some people seem to complain about the restoration work, and I myself tend to be something of a purist in this regard, but I think the conservators and restorers have done phenomenal work there.

isisinacrisis wrote:
Quote:
Please explain? I've never heard of this...

I'd never heard of this incident, either, but I found this page about it. It's pretty disturbing stuff and I can see why some Egyptians of even today would still hold a grudge. It was deplorable, elitist behavior on the part of those soldiers and the Egyptian government.

Visit my blog!
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it quite incredible, looking at that picture, that much of what we see on th Sphinx today is not original at all, it seems. I knew the paws have been totally redone, but not the face-I thought the face was left untouched. At least they haven't totally redone the face and it still looks, to some extent, worn and aged.

I am not against giving monuments a restoration job though, my preferred kind of restoration is when they use the original materials or put ruins back together again (like putting together a jigsaw puzzle) or when it is really needed (ie if a monument is at risk of crumbling away into total ruin), and just giving the monuments a good clean and touch up every now and again. Not adding too much new stuff to it to make it look artificial, especially not with modern materials like concrete and plastic, unless it is really necessary like when they add special chemicals to stone to stop them from wearing away or to keep them in shape. Though there is an example of using modern materials to restore ancient monuments, but not making the restored parts look too ancient, so people can tell what is old and what is new, so people are not fooled into thinking that what might look ancient isn't so old after all.
luther
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:

That's a very dramatic photo, luther. I've never thought of doing a side-by-side comparison like that, but it really shows the amount of work that has gone into the Sphinx.

It reminds me of Hatshepsut's beautiful temple at Deir el Bahri. I've seen many old photos in books of the disrepair in which this temple was found by modern explorers and archaeologists, and it's amazing what they have done in recent years to restore it to something of its former glory. Some people seem to complain about the restoration work, and I myself tend to be something of a purist in this regard, but I think the conservators and restorers have done phenomenal work there.

Thanks, kmt_sesh, I have a fondness for old photos of Egypt, you can find out a lot from them about where the monuments have been restored in the past century or so.

(Gosh, I hope I'm not destroying too many illusions of people's perceptions of the Egyptian monuments with those old photos! Sorry, isisinacrisis Embarassed )
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks, kmt_sesh, I have a fondness for old photos of Egypt, you can find out a lot from them about where the monuments have been restored in the past century or so.

I'm also very fond of those old photos. In our docent library at the Field Museum we have a book packed full of them, so sometimes I'll just sit there and look at scenes of Egypt as people saw them in the nineteenth century. LOL Must be the romantic streak in me.

Such photos are very important. Many sites and monuments photographed in the 1800s either no longer exist or are significantly denuded, so those old photos preserve these places like a pictorial history. Smile

Visit my blog!
Kiya
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khuy-n-inpw wrote:
Kiya wrote:
British soldiers using it as target practice

Every British tourist who visits Egypt should at least inform themselves about the so-called Dinshawai Incident of 1906, because I don't think it has ever really been forgotten there.

Sad

Thanks for the info. I've now read up on it. Wink
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: What did they use as target practice? What did they not use? Reply with quote

Smile
About Dinshawai, I may post something later under 'General Discussion' because I'm not entirely happy with some of the accounts, including that of Wikipedia (see link kindly provided by kmt_sesh) - isisinacrisis did ask me for an explanation, and I should do my best to provide a good one.
read2

About the sphinx, there's just one point I haven't quite grasped:
Kiya wrote:
My son and I were watching a program the other day on who built the Sphinx and we were horrified to see British soldiers using it as target practice
Ankhesenamun wrote:
The British soldiers using the Sphinx as target practice story is as old as the hills and completely incorrect.

There seems to be a flat contradiction here - can anyone explain that?

Confused
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sphinx being used as target practice rumor has been floating around for years--and is completely uncorrect. Variously blamed on Napoleon's troopsor bored British soldiers, I have even heard of a devout Islamic man who thought the sphinx was "an insult to God".A more-than-likely occurrence, if it happened at all, was during the Turkish Ottoman time frame.
But the urban fable of "target practice" will not die!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if there's any rock-solid proof for any sort of target practice. Many of the early Copts and then Muslims did deface monuments of the pagan times, but I don't know that I would blame them for the Sphinx and the loss of its smelling appendage.

We've all heard of the efforts throughout the millennia to try to restore the Sphinx. Much of its strata of limestone is very weak and friable. I wouldn't be surprised if the nose fell of by itself.

Or maybe the Sphinx sneezed too hard. Razz

Visit my blog!
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The sphinx being used as target practice

Lousy shooters then. Or a short practice.
Fat chance they could actually miss it. Confused

Feel free to visit my site in construction:
-- www.enks.net --
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Sphinx All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: