Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help finding this fiction book

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laura
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Need help finding this fiction book Reply with quote

Hi all,
Trying to find a fiction book, written by a female author, possibly in the year 2000. Thinking it is more historical as opposed to the mysteries or fantasy-type novels, but might possibly be some mystery involved. Court plots, etc. All I have to go on is what the 86 year old fellow remembers:

There is a pharaoh, and his son in order to become the next pharaoh has to travel by boat on the river. A fight breaks out on the boat, possibly others overtaking it...but anyway, there is also something in the plot about a funeral pyre. Has anybody read this book or give me a clue where to look?
Librarian stuck here on trying to help a customer
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a tough one. The female authors that come to mind are Pauline Gedge and Diane Wilder, but I have to admit that the plot does not ring a bell.

Diane Wilder's book Pharaoh's son is about two sons of Ramesses the Great and the story starts with a part of a temple collapsing and killing some people. It is based on historical characters. Can't really remember a funeral pyre ...

I hope someone else may remember a book.
Montuhotep88
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not one of Lauren Haney's, for sure. Pauline Gedge is a possibility (maybe one of the Lord of the Two Lands trilogy that I haven't read yet? Hippopotamus Marsh / The Oasis / The Horus Road)...
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help finding this fiction book Reply with quote

Laura wrote:
Hi all,
Trying to find a fiction book, written by a female author, possibly in the year 2000. Thinking it is more historical as opposed to the mysteries or fantasy-type novels, but might possibly be some mystery involved. Court plots, etc. All I have to go on is what the 86 year old fellow remembers:

There is a pharaoh, and his son in order to become the next pharaoh has to travel by boat on the river. A fight breaks out on the boat, possibly others overtaking it...but anyway, there is also something in the plot about a funeral pyre. Has anybody read this book or give me a clue where to look?

Could it be one of Lynda Robinson's Lord Meren mysteries? I recall a number of them have Meren travelling with his son up and down the Nile at the request of the Pharaoh (Tutankhamun).

Must say the funeral pyre doesn't ring a bell, though. Sad

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom
Montuhotep88
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the funeral pyre sounds awfully un-Egyptian, doesn't it?
Kiya
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. It sounds more Viking. Idea
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help finding this fiction book Reply with quote

Laura wrote:
Hi all,

Sorry to butt in here, I am new around here. But this sounds a lot like "Lord of the Two Lands" by Judith Tarr. It is not exactly an Egyptian themed fiction book it is based on Alexander in Egypt. There is a funeral pyre scene where the main character an Egyptian woman is horrified that they are burning the body since then the person will not be able to move on into the afterlife.

This might be the book.

Rebecca W.
Smenkhare
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: House of Illusions by Pauline Gedge Reply with quote

I think the book you're referring to sounds a lot like House of Illusions by Pauline Gedge. It's a sequel to House of Dreams, and both are excellent books. It's sort of a courtroom style for a good deal of it, and she is a well known author of historical fiction. But I don't remember much about a funeral pyre in the book; perhaps the prequel has it. Anyway she has a website at www.paulinegedge.com where you can find out more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: