Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Art Gallery of Works by Egyptian Dreams Members
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 1197
Location: Ghent (Gent - Belgium)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BrandonP,

Nice drawings, are you going to make a sort of comic with them or are they just illustrations for your story?

I must say putting names together from ancient known cities to make new ones, is very clever, as Toth stated, they sound familiar.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
BrandonP
Citizen
Citizen


Joined: 07 May 2010
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
Hi BrandonP,

Nice drawings, are you going to make a sort of comic with them or are they just illustrations for your story?


Neither. I don't consider myself good enough to be either an illustrator or a comic book artist just yet.
_________________
My DeviantArt page
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 1197
Location: Ghent (Gent - Belgium)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Neither. I don't consider myself good enough to be either an illustrator or a comic book artist just yet.


You are too modest, I think you have quite some talent and fantasy; I canít draw like that. And believe me Iíve tried.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Toth
Account Suspended


Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 1781
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrandonP wrote:
Ranoferhotep wrote:
Hi BrandonP,

Nice drawings, are you going to make a sort of comic with them or are they just illustrations for your story?


Neither. I don't consider myself good enough to be either an illustrator or a comic book artist just yet.


Hey BrandonP

listen to Ranoferhotep.If you keep on doubting yourself, you will never publish anything. Try a short comic first.

Richard, aka
_________________
[img]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/8fc1c47be2.png[/img]
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BrandonP
Citizen
Citizen


Joined: 07 May 2010
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toth wrote:
listen to Ranoferhotep.If you keep on doubting yourself, you will never publish anything. Try a short comic first.


It's not that I don't think I have potential. I just don't think I've honed the skill yet. I probably will after practicing and taking some art classes though.

I'm more confident in my writing ability, although even in that area I would like to get better.
_________________
My DeviantArt page
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 1197
Location: Ghent (Gent - Belgium)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brandon,

Iíve been browsing your ar tpage, and I can say only one thing, keep up the good work. Smile
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Toth
Account Suspended


Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 1781
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrandonP wrote:
Toth wrote:
listen to Ranoferhotep.If you keep on doubting yourself, you will never publish anything. Try a short comic first.


It's not that I don't think I have potential. I just don't think I've honed the skill yet. I probably will after practicing and taking some art classes though.

I'm more confident in my writing ability, although even in that area I would like to get better.


BrandonP, you can refine your skills until you weigh a miligram, but your skills are all there, the only thing you need is more depth in you characters. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect you paint in Acryl.

Try to make the switch to either watercolor, or oil; once you mastered the necessary way of painting you will greatly benefit from it!

How about combining the arts? Write a story and illustrate it yourself; how's that?

Richard, aka
_________________
[img]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/8fc1c47be2.png[/img]
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BrandonP
Citizen
Citizen


Joined: 07 May 2010
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote



Was playing around with GIMP using this statue of Rameses II.
_________________
My DeviantArt page
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Styler78
Priest
Priest


Joined: 05 Oct 2009
Posts: 974
Location: Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Was playing around with GIMP


Is that the same Gimp from the film, Pulp Fiction? Wink
_________________
Beloved of Hathor, Chief of Thebes, Not the Messiah just a Very Naughty Boy!

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Toth
Account Suspended


Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 1781
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styler78 wrote:
Quote:
Was playing around with GIMP


Is that the same Gimp from the film, Pulp Fiction? Wink


Laughing That's "the Gimp" Photoshop alike for Linux computers (I have it here too), haven't seen tha in movies yet Laughing

Richard
_________________
[img]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/8fc1c47be2.png[/img]
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BrandonP
Citizen
Citizen


Joined: 07 May 2010
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an old drawing of an Egyptian village.


_________________
My DeviantArt page
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Toth
Account Suspended


Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 1781
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrandonP wrote:
Here's an old drawing of an Egyptian village.



Hello BrandonP, from what I have seen of plans for Giza, and Amarna - many years later - they didn't have houses like that, but more like the square boxes we live in today. I like the drawing, though, I think it is even romantic and I like the temple gate and the obelisk in the background.

Richard,aka
_________________
[img]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/8fc1c47be2.png[/img]
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hekat
Scribe
Scribe


Joined: 18 May 2010
Posts: 320
Location: Luxor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I agree with Toth, the old houses were square, the foundations can often be seen. Roofs are traditionally flat, they are usually made of palm fronds and logs, either with or without supports, depending on the size of the room.

It's a nice picture but would not be true for Egypt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Toth
Account Suspended


Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 1781
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hekat wrote:
I'm afraid I agree with Toth, the old houses were square, the foundations can often be seen. Roofs are traditionally flat, they are usually made of palm fronds and logs, either with or without supports, depending on the size of the room.

It's a nice picture but would not be true for Egypt


Uhm, that is to say... I found a site showing different housing types at http://www.philae.nu/akhet/Housing.html and for the Early Period - Middle Kingdom they show a sketch of a village, quite similar to what BrandonP has drawn in his last picture, although I am not so sure about the visibility of the temple and the pyramid; nevertheless I think Brandon may have been closer to drawing an early period village than we assumed, and I feel that a little apology is required here.

Note: You may have to scroll down and select the Early Period - Middle Kingdom page.

Richard
_________________
[img]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/8fc1c47be2.png[/img]
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 1197
Location: Ghent (Gent - Belgium)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toth wrote:
Hekat wrote:
I'm afraid I agree with Toth, the old houses were square, the foundations can often be seen. Roofs are traditionally flat, they are usually made of palm fronds and logs, either with or without supports, depending on the size of the room.

It's a nice picture but would not be true for Egypt


Uhm, that is to say... I found a site showing different housing types at http://www.philae.nu/akhet/Housing.html and for the Early Period - Middle Kingdom they show a sketch of a village, quite similar to what BrandonP has drawn in his last picture, although I am not so sure about the visibility of the temple and the pyramid; nevertheless I think Brandon may have been closer to drawing an early period village than we assumed, and I feel that a little apology is required here.

Note: You may have to scroll down and select the Early Period - Middle Kingdom page.

Richard


Round (oval) houses existed in Naqada I, but what isnít correct is the temple gate and tall obelisk, those date from a much later period. Anyway, Itís a nice drawing.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 21 of 22

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group