Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Petrie's Painted Floors
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smenkare
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Petrie's Painted Floors Reply with quote

The beautiful painted floors that Petrie found in the Amarna Palace were smashed by peasents. However I read that peices of them are now reasembled in the Cairo Museum. Is this true?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had always thought that the floor was thoroughly destroyed, but you may be right about pieces of it being in the Cairo museum.
I'm glad something of the floor decorations is left. you always hear about how beautiful they must have been.

I found this site which has a picture (at the bottom of the page) named "Ducks in a Marsh" which comes from the palace at Amarna.
http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/egypt/cairo/amarna.html

That must have been beautiful when it had just been painted (it still is).

I have seen a piece of a floor decoration from the Maru-Aten at the Oriental Institute in Chicago, but the colors on that were not anywhere near as nice as the ones in this picture.
It was interesting that in the Chicago piece you could see the marks where they had snapped a straight line with the help of some rope. You could also pretty much see the painter's brush strokes.

And this tour of Amarna
http://www.mcdonald.cam.ac.uk/Projects/Amarna/guidebook/Places%20of%20Interest/CC/tourist%20route.pdf

Mentions that the surviving pieces of the floor are now on display on the main hall of the ground floor of the Egyptian Museum.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found two more photographs on this site:
http://users.stlcc.edu/mfuller/amarna.html
Smenkare
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those links. There is an actual photo of the floor intact in Ancient Egypt The Great Discoveries which is very interesting. [/u]
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I was thinking that I had seen a picture of the paintings as they were when they were found. Glad you mentioned where.

There was quite a bit of it left if I remember correctly.

It's amazing how much of that site has been lost even over the last 100-150 years. There had also been a lot of damage to the tombs since they were discovered.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote Smenkare : There is an actual photo of the floor intact in Ancient Egypt The Great Discoveries which is very interesting.

It's the first time ever that I heard that there is a picture of the intact floor. Very sad story about this painted floors.
18th dynasty
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a photo. I've never heard of that before.
Smenkare
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

18th dynasty wrote:
Wow, what a photo. I've never heard of that before.

I'll try to scan it later, its an incredible picture.
ELISE
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The damage was caused by local farmers who were furious with visitors trampling their crops en-route to visit the pavements shortly after they were first discovered. Very sad but not uncommon unfortunately.

BTW, in Harlow UK (not that far from where I live), a roman mosaic was discovered whilst foundations were being dug for a factory on an industrial estate. The workers smashed the mosaic to make sure work was not interupted. This took place in the mid 20th century!
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee some people.....
Gerard
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"painted floors" from palace or Maru-Aten are IMO also at the Museum U of Pennsylvania.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen part of a painted floor from the Maru-Aten at the Oriental Institute in Chicago.
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they were anything like the floor tiles depicting bound captives or the wall scene of Akhenaten's two daughters they must have been stunning, especially for people back then to travel all that way just to see floor tiles!

This is up close
http://www.utexas.edu/courses/classicaldig/0102230400.jpg%20copy

This shows the younger daughters the older ones and akhenaten's toe with the white sandal- i don'tthink you can enlarge this but u can see what i mean by size difference

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.coconino.edu/apetersen/_ART201/_images/akhenaten_daughters.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.coconino.edu/apetersen/_ART201/new_king.htm&h=192&w=370&sz=43&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=vWIpi0zma7SwuM:&tbnh=63&tbnw=122&prev=/images%3Fq%3DAkhenaten%2Bdaughters%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG

Like the scene with Akhenatens two youngest daughters-i've seen a picture of this tile in full and the daughters are only VERY small; the legs you see beside them are not Akhenaten and Nefertiti, as i originally thought but actually his other elder daughters, Akhenaten's toes are all you can see and they are about 100 times bigger than the two youngest daughters- how an artist put so much detail into something that small flips me out!

Akhenaten must have been massive compared to his daughters in this depiction, i guess it's because he was Pharoh and more important- still i was amazed at the size differences.
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry i've got it all around the wrong way anyway akhenaten's toe is darker than the colour of the daughters- you can just make out his toenail is painted white and the white part of the sandal that goes in between your toes...

i don't know why this picture won't enlarge.
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article has a picture of the painted pavement from one of Akhenaten's palaces.

http://touregypt.net/featurestories/royalestate.htm

If the ones that were smashed were anything like this than something so increadibly beautiful is lost for no good reason. At least this one with bound captives somehow surivived- stunning isn't it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: