Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about nesu(t) in inscription

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Question about nesu(t) in inscription Reply with quote

I was just looking at Dodson/Hilton book Royal Families.

On page 157 there is a copy of the inscription from Hermopolis naming Tutankhuaten.

It looks to me as though the title reads nsw-t-n-sa. My knowledge of hieroglyphics is not too good, but doesn't that refer to a Queen's Son instead of a King's Son?
I thought the breadloaf was an indications we were talking about a female? So would that be referring to Tutankhamen as the son of a Queen?
Or am I just not interpreting the glyphs correctly?

I realize that there is only a part of the inscription there, and the "t" could refer to something in the text above this. But I thought it was interesting.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind Very Happy I think a king can be referred to as both nsw and nsw.t.
I have seen examples of both.

LOL Excuse me while I talk to myself Laughing
Claire
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing dont worry anneke lol i was having a debate with myself over this not long ago ! im no expert but i think the 'breadloaf' sign which stands for the letter T does indicate if something is 'femenine'... however i think its only used in actual names in the cartouches.. for example when the tomb of hatshepsut was discovered her name had that hieroglyph which baffled the discoverers at first as this indicated that this pharoah was infact a woman, the femenine "T' sign was put there to show this.

Embarassed actually ive just thought... sat nesu 'kings daughter' has this sign in also and is a title not a name LOL ! ok now my heads about to explode haha ! Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: