Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you currently reading?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51, 52  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NefertariMut wrote:
Right now, I'm reading the "Ramses" Series (5 in total) by Christian Jacq. It is pretty good but I find it to be very easy reading and I like to be challenged more.

I love them, read them every year again. For the moment Iím reading Sfinx from Robin Cook.
NefertariMut
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep...

Let me know what you think of that book that you're reading.

Right now, I just started Christian Jacq's series "Stone of Light". I'm almost finished with Volume I and it's pretty interesting.
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NefertariMut wrote:
Ranoferhotep...

Right now, I just started Christian Jacq's series "Stone of Light". I'm almost finished with Volume I and it's pretty interesting.

Itís fiction, time is modern Egypt and the black market. Donít want to tell more, I can recommended it. Think they made a movie off it also, but Iím not sure.
NefertariMut
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep

Great...

I'm going to have to check it out.

Thanks!!
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently reading ďMemoryís of a lost EgyptĒ by Colette Rossant.

Itís not about AE, but Egypt in the years í30 Ė í40, it tells the story of the author when she lived in Egypt with her family in CaÔro. Itís based on true facts and goes mainly about the Egyptian kitchen. I have the Dutch translation, which contains also a lot of recipes to make traditional Egyptian (Arab) dishes.

Quite a nice easy-reading book, and for those who like to cook Arab-Egyptian style itís a must.
Paddy
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NefertariMut wrote:
Ranoferhotep...

Ahh.. Christian Jacq! I wonder if he translates well. What do you think of his work?
I really like how he respects the mystery and magic that surrounds Egypt; his Pharaohs are really regal and his way of implying that it may be an omen or a divine sign or it may not is really quite delicate ^^ I read "The tree of life" series, and "For the love of Philae" . Wonderful stuff, though sometimes a bit lacking of the grime and familiarity that you'd expect of any thriving city. If you want to understand the real meaning of "platonic" I think he's the man to go to. ^^

I'm currently finishing some of Maspero's work, and will be starting Ramesses II by Christianne Desroches-Noblecourt (wonderful woman!)

Otherwise I'm starting the Lord of the Rings for the fifth time, this time determined to actually FINISH it (I never seem to get into the third book and always wonder off to other books after weeks of reading xD I know, what a blaspheme, but I can't help it- my mind's too damnably volatile ^^)

Anyone heard of Bernard Werber?
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Spinx I can recommend, itís quite a good triller, canít tell too much about it, just that itís about the black market in A.E. antiquities.

About Christian Jacques, I have the Ramses series in Dutch, I find them very easy to read, he tends to romanticize A.E. But, personally, I donít find it bothering.
Paddy
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He does romantize AE, I agree! I quite like it, actually, because he's one of the only authors I know of who gives Egypt that sort of "mood" or atmosphere if you see what I mean.
I recently finished Pauline Gedge's Lady of the Reeds (or House of Dreams) after someone had told me she's the "american Christian Jacq" ... not so! Though I adored her work, she doesn't exactly give a good image of the Pharaoh and egyptian superstition like Jacq does. The qualities of her book lie elsewhere - mainly in the well-constructed, "tangible" characters, and wonderful descriptions. Also she writes from a woman's point of view, about injustices done to concubines ... you'll certainly never find such crude 'intimate' scenes in Jacq's work xD
In his work I find it a bit hard to warm up to the characters, because there's always a bit of a cold edge to them - sometimes they're a tad too elegant and spiritual.

Every author has their good and bad points anyway - and with Jacq, it's the rare romanticism, as you put it, that differentiates him from other authors. (in my mind, anyway.)
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He does romantize AE, I agree! I quite like it, actually, because he's one of the only authors I know of who gives Egypt that sort of "mood" or atmosphere if you see what I mean.

I think Jacq also as an Egyptologist, has great love for A.E., which he puts in his writing.

For the moment Iím reading ďhet geheim van HatsjepsoetĒ (The secret of Hatsjepsut) The original title is ďDie PharaoninĒ, by Philipp Vandenberg. Donít know if there is an English translation. Iíts about the life of Hatsjepsut and her supposed lover Sennenmut. Not the best work Iíve ever read, e.g. he uses constantly the word ďmarbleĒ when describing buildingís. The one stone as I know A.E. didnít use.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy wrote:

I recently finished Pauline Gedge's Lady of the Reeds (or House of Dreams) after someone had told me she's the "american Christian Jacq" ... not so! Though I adored her work, she doesn't exactly give a good image of the Pharaoh and egyptian superstition like Jacq does. The qualities of her book lie elsewhere - mainly in the well-constructed, "tangible" characters, and wonderful descriptions. Also she writes from a woman's point of view, about injustices done to concubines ...

That is not one of Gedge's best. Child of the Morning (Hatshepsut) and the Horus Road Trilogy (Ahmose and the expulsion of the Hyksos) are much better.

Very Happy I can't stand Jacq to be honest. Cardboard characters and poorly written. Have never even been able to finish any of his books.
Paddy
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I don't think Jacq translates well at all in English. I see what you mean when you say "cardboard characters", because though I enjoy the spiritual/magical side of his work, his characters are always a bit extreme in their personalities; either vindicative, purely evil, greedy, or spiritual and "above everything" - they never seem to be quite multi-facetted enough to feel real. That's definately a fault he has. But asides from that, the regal mood he gives Egypt is practically a relief after the books I've read where the people just lack belief so much that you can hardly believe you're in a religion/etiquette-based country. Michelle Moran's work, for example: feels much too full of modern-day contempt and completely inappropriate dialogs for such legendary characters.

Yes, I can understand why people didn't appreciate House of Dreams much; but I actually really liked how she portrayed a completely unlovable character as the main character who'd be seducing Pharaoh. It was an appropriate personality for a character who was going to make so many abject decisions. Anyway, the vilest characters in books are always my favourite, and this one was full of them! Very Happy Didn't much like her take on harems, though. It seemed a bit too disrespectful of women - after reading Desroches-Noblecourt's "Women in Ancient Egypt" you'd think they were a little less ill-used and idle as that.
I was going to explore more of Gedge's work - it seems Child of the Morning is her most epic work, according to amazon reviewers. Can't wait to get my hands on it! Very Happy
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Book currently reading Reply with quote

Anat wrote:
Hello All I am new here.

I am reading Performance and Drama in Ancient Egypt. I just finished reading Moral Values in AE and Maat in Egyptian Autobiographies and Related Studies by M. Lichtheim (of course)

Anat

Hello Anat,

And although belated by "just" close to 3 years, Welcome to Egyptian Dreams!

Reading your choice of books, I wonder what you could tell me about them that would sell me to them.

Richard, aka
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
NefertariMut
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy,

I've read all of the books by Pauline Gedge and I'm trying to finish all of Christian Jacq's novels.

I find both authors to be very different. Maybe I like Gedge's writings (who I believe is either from Canada or New Zealand) more because of the way that Jacq's books come across in English. There are alot of grammatical errors which probably shouldn't bother me so much but I guess that's just the teacher in me. I just finished Jacq's "Stone of Light" series which was fair - nothing extraordinary. I also read "For the Love of Philae" which I liked better.

I plan on then reading the books which Ranoferhotep recommended. Smile
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished Nick Drake's mystery "Tutankhamon".

This was a damn good read. I love the main character, Medjay detective, Rahotep--he reminds me a bit of James Lee Burke's Cajun detective Dave Robicheaux in a world weary, philosophical sort of way but deep down a man of action with a real sense of justice. Other characters, both fictional and historic were equally well done. The only major character who seemed to be sort of a cardboard cutout was Horemheb--but maybe the author's saving him for another book.

The author me guessing till the end--though I was a bit disappointed when the culprit, and his motives were finally revealed. I'd sort of suspected someone else. Oh well.

The setting was very atmospheric and not too many jarring historical innacuracies. A central part of the plot was the rising use of opium among the elite during that period and I have to wonder just how pervasive that problem really was. On the other hand his reconstruction of the accident that led to Tutankhamon's death was quite believable. I suppose the author must have been cursing when the DNA studies on Tut and family came out--he named Tut's mother as Kiya--who unfortunately now has to be pretty much ruled out.

Now it's off to the library (no problem since I work there) to get a copy of his first in the series "Nefertiti" on interlibrary loan.
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NefertariMut wrote:
Paddy,

I've read all of the books by Pauline Gedge and I'm trying to finish all of Christian Jacq's novels.

I find both authors to be very different. Maybe I like Gedge's writings (who I believe is either from Canada or New Zealand) more because of the way that Jacq's books come across in English. There are alot of grammatical errors which probably shouldn't bother me so much but I guess that's just the teacher in me. I just finished Jacq's "Stone of Light" series which was fair - nothing extraordinary. I also read "For the Love of Philae" which I liked better.

I plan on then reading the books which Ranoferhotep recommended. Smile

I have the Dutch translations of Jacq, and canít find grammatical errors. He reads quite easy. Perhaps the France language, especially in literature, is more difficult to translate to English?. Or they just made a bad translation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 50 of 52

Jump to: