Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Valley of the King tombs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Valley of the King tombs Reply with quote

I have written up a quick reference list with links to sites on the web about the tombs in the valley of the kings. The Theban Mapping Project is of course the best site, and this list gives quick links to the appropriate pages.
There are also some links to the excellent pages from osiris.net.

And to the pages of the University of Memphis mission of course Very Happy (Kv 10 and KV 63)

List of Valley of the King Tombs - click here

If you happen to know of any other good websites dealing with a VoK tomb, then please let me know Very Happy
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great list! Any reason why KV29 has not been excavated?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like it when you're in one of your list moods, anneke. Very Happy Another page added to my Favorites file. I appreciate the work and thought you put into your material.

ImageOfAten wrote:
Quote:
Great list! Any reason why KV29 has not been excavated?

The position of KV29 has been known since before 1832, according to Reeve's book on the Valley of the Kings; he notes that nothing is known of its plan, though. This is only one of numerous small, non-royal tombs in the Valley. I don't know why KV29 has been neglected, but the prevailing thought until recent times was that these little tombs were of little scholarly value.

We know differently now. I can't remember his name but there is a certain Egyptologist who has made these small, non-royal tombs his specialty. Through his efforts a lot of information has been learned. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before KV29 and other minor tombs receive the scholarly attention they deserve.

Visit my blog!
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I really like it when you're in one of your list moods, anneke. Another page added to my Favorites file. I appreciate the work and thought you put into your material.

Very Happy I second that.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Very Happy

There's some interesting information out there. The osiris.net pages are really good and the Theban Mapping Project is always excellent.

I was happy I was able to find the names of some of the sons of Ramesses found in KV5. The latest progress reports don't show any additional names. It would be interesting to see how many burials they will eventually find evidence for.

There seems to be a bit of a tendency to re-excavate things? Some of the tombs have been getting the "once over". KV 10, KV 60 are examples. So maybe they will get to a tomb like KV 29 at some point.
I figure that you never knnow what you could find.

Very Happy For all we know there's another KV 5 out there. They first thought that was a relatively small tomb too. It's importance was really not appreciated for the longest time.
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just find it very surprising that the tomb was discovered so long ago and currently remains untouched, especially when you consider how many artifacts and such have been found in tombs where they did not originally belong. Just because it is believed to be small in size and non-royal does not mean it cannot contain some wonderous things. I hope someone starts an excavation in the near future.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There seems to be a bit of a tendency to re-excavate things? Some of the tombs have been getting the "once over". KV 10, KV 60 are examples.

LOL Could be the excavators of today don't always trust the work of the excavators of the past. Well, time and again those past excavators have been proven to have missed many things, and we have the benefit of so many technological advances that people from the past couldn't have even dreamed of. That high-tech photography system Kent Weeks has used to record every inch of almost every tomb in the Valley comes to mind as an example.

Visit my blog!
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I find it really exciting that they are continuing to re-examine the past work of earlier excavators.
There are so many more possible finds just waiting to be discovered I'm sure. Wink

The site of Amenhotep III mortuary temple on the west bank is another example. There are piles of very intriguing looking blocks and portions of statuary everywhere from their ongoing work. Another site that looks interesting too is up in the west valley not far from Amen III's tomb. Works seems to have been done there and I would imagine that alot more is to be found in this relatively unexcavated area.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another site that looks interesting too is up in the west valley not far from Amen III's tomb. Works seems to have been done there and I would imagine that alot more is to be found in this relatively unexcavated area.

So true. I've always felt there are more finds to be made there, and imagine what we could do with an important tomb yet to be discovered, and with the kind of technology we possess today. I also have to wonder how much more the Valley of the Queens might yield?

Visit my blog!
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for bringing back an old topic but I was wondering if anyone happens to know where I can find Schaden's report on KV25 (I believe it was published in the late 1970s). I do know it does exist but I am not even sure what language it is in! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some searching, ImageOfAten, but came up empty. I know very little about this tomb myself. It's in the West Valley and is thought possibly to have been started originally for Akhenaten, right?

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Theban mapping project mentions:

"Site History
The original owner of KV 25 is uncertain. According to Schaden, KV 25 was built as a royal burial during late Dynasty 18 (possibly Amenhetep IV), but was never completed. During the Third Intermediate Period (Dynasties 21 and 22), the tomb was reused to bury eight mummies. If no previous interment took place, the objects of Dynasty 18 were probably introduced at this period. This material presumably originates from KV 23. After the reburial, the tomb remained undisturbed until its discovery by Belzoni."

from: http://www.thebanmappingproject.com/sites/browse_tomb_839.html

According to the bibliography Schaden's report was published here:

Schaden, Otto J. "Preliminary Report on the Re-clearance of Tomb 25 in the Western Valley of the Kings (WV 25): University of Minnesota Egyptian Expedition, January 1976." Annales du Service des antiquités de l'Égypte 63: 161-168 (1979).

There are related publications about the Western Valley in KMT journal from 1991 (I don't have the journal that far back myself):

R. H. Wilkinson, "The other Valley of the Kings: Exploring the western branch of the Theban royal necropolis", KMT 2:3 (Fall, 1991), 46-52.

O. J. Schaden, "Preliminary report on clearance of WV-24 in an effort to determine its relationship to royal tombs 23 and 25", KMT 2:3 (1991), 53-61.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also apparently a more recent publication:

R. H. Wilkinson, "The Identity of the Amarna-Age Tomb WV 25 in the Western Valley of the Kings" Journal of the Egyptian Study Society 13:1 (Spring 2002) pp. 13-16.

There is a short "blurb" about KV25 (=WV25) in
N. Reeves and R. H. Wilkinson, The Complete Valley of the Kings (London and New York: Thames and Hudson, 1996).

Paraphrasing what is in the Complete Valley:

The tomb was discovered in 1817 by Belzoni.
They found 2 rows of 4 coffined mummies dating to the 3rd intermediate period.

Schaden's excavation in 1972-73 uncovered a handful of objects which had evidently washed into the tomb from nearby WV23 (Aye's tomb).

The tomb was begun with care and according to royal dimension and design. The structure only extends to the first two passages of a regular 18th dyn. royal tomb plan.

It's clear that WV25 was far from complete and the construction was halted and no attempt was made later to continue the tomb.

This tomb may perhaps have been meant for Akhenaten himself, and would have been started before the move to Akhet-Aten.
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for listing all of those resources. It seems I may have a great difficulty finding most of them, but I will try.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of those reports could be found at the Oriental Institute.

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: