Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cyril Aldred's Akhenaten
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Cyril Aldred's Akhenaten Reply with quote

I'm just getting to the end of this book and have really quite enjoyed it. Aside from his often wild speculation and and some portions that have just naturally become outdated, he includes a great deal of fascinating detail.
I liked the chapter on the 'Foreign Affairs' and wished that was a little longer, the 'Other Monuments' was another goody where he talks of monuments of Akhenaten from areas away from Karnak. I was also pleased he included a little on the non-royal officials of the period which is something I'm particularily fascinated in.

How many of you others have read his book (I think Anneke has) - what did you think?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this book, Sesen, and I also enjoyed it a lot. One of my own favorites happens to be the Foreign Affairs, in fact. Some things about Aldred's Akhenaten might be outdated but I still consider it one of the best treatments of the heretic king.

Visit my blog!
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of fact, this happens to be my all time favorite non-fiction book! Unlike the rest of you though, I found the Foreign Affairs chapter to be my least favorite. Matters of state and neighboring regions do not spark my interest so much.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Matters of state and neighboring regions do not spark my interest so much.

Ah, but isn't it interesting to see how Egypt interacted with other nations and how it was regarded by them at this time? We can learn a lot from that kind of material. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you are right. It is somewhat interesting, it is just not anywhere near the top of my list of interests. Too many other aspects of AE catch my interest before foreign affairs do!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Too many other aspects of AE catch my interest before foreign affairs do!

I completely agree. Foreign affairs isn't at the top of my list in what I like to study about ancient Egypt, but I did happen to enjoy it a lot in Aldred's book.

Visit my blog!
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I finished it yesterday - pity since I was really enjoying it.
I'm pleased I did buy it and I'm also pleased to have Murnane's Amarna Texts as a more recent and less slanted cross reference.

I liked the Foreign Affairs chapter really because its a topic that does tend to get a little ignored at times in other Egypt focused books - and I think that having an idea of the ancient worlds political situation at the time gives a fascinating insight as to what was going on in Akhenaten's world.

Aldred's is a very easy read with an undemanding style and I can see why its still so very popluar.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read the Akhenaten books by Aldred and Reeves and even the little one by Hornung (entertaining but not substantial), and recently I purchased Donald Redford's Akhenaten, the Heretic King. I don't know much about this one or about Redford himself but look forward to a different perspective, so I'll be reading it soon. Aldred's is still my favorite of the Akhenaten books, though.

Visit my blog!
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I'd love to know how you like the Redford book.

Could you post a bit of a blurb when you finish it?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Could you post a bit of a blurb when you finish it?

LOL You're asking me, the board windbag, to post "a bit of a blurb"? Well, all right, I'll give it a shot. Not sure when I'll actually get around to reading that book, though. I may not be reading it as soon as I thought.

Visit my blog!
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Redford's book too. It cannot even compare with Aldred's though!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't tell me the ending. I still haven't read it. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I wanted to spoil the ending so bad! Seriously though, I did not think it was that great of a book.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Seriously though, I did not think it was that great of a book.

I don't expect it to be on the level of Aldred's but I've heard good things about it, so I'm going to give it a try. I've already paged through the book and even got one of my recent questions from it for our trivia game, so at least it's been useful for something. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
Smenkare
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read Aldred's book.(Well most of it, as usual I never got around to finishing it!!) But it was a really incredible book.

Funny Story:

I was at a doctors office(?) and has my library copy(mine had not arrived yet) and this guy said can I see that book? I showed it to him and he asked if he could buy it from me!!! Shocked Kind of a surprise. But anyway it was a library copy so no.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: