Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Horemheb
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Segereh wrote:
Hèhè... That's experience for ya. Cool

And lots of practice....
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And lots of working on certain people's nerves.
Not looking at any Kevs in particular... Rolling Eyes

Feel free to visit my site in construction:
-- www.enks.net --
Smartie
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was Horemheb trying to be the ancient version of King Henry VIII? Laughing

I've always thought that maybe Horemhem was idle? and could not produce children? though with the low life expectancy on infants back then, I guess he could have actually had a child but he/she or they died young?
could it be that him and Tut are distant relatives? I say this only because neither one of them had a healthy male child. Coudl Horemheb have been a son of Amenhotep III, by a minor wife, who like so many other before and after made a claim to the throne..and actually got it? my fictional mind at work here of course.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UGH I meant 'Infertil' not 'idle' lol
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For as far as I know there are only a handful of people ever interred at Amarna: Akhenaten, Nefertiti, Meketaten, Neferuaten-Tasherit, and maybe Kiya.

What about Tiye? she's a pretty popular queen and yet I have never heard any mention of her tomb? Idea
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KV 55 Idea
Smartie
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would she get such a crappy burial? I've always assumed that she initially had a great tomb built for her, but we have no evidence of that.
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe because she died in his son's reign and he (Akhenaten) was very fond for family values and probably wished to keep them all together in the huge Amarna Royal Tomb. Later, possibly in Tut's reign her burial regalia was dismantelled and spread between KV 55 and WV 22 (Amenhotep III tomb), which was possibly her last resting (?) place... if she isn't the KV 35's Elder Lady.
Theban Moon
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:

Interesting enough Dr Smith later wrote:
In the sarcophagus were the remains of a mummy, but what became of it is unknown. In spite of what Mr. Davis has written in the volume dealing with this tomb, the bones were not submitted to any examination at the time of their discovery.

So I guess it's a bit of a mystery what happened to the mummy that was in the sarcophagus.

I don't suppose you have a reference for that statement? I am trying to write an article for Egyptological and that's a reference I would like to chase down.

Kate
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked but don't remember exactly where I read that.
That's quite a few years ago and I'm not sure what articles I had been reading at that point.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theban Moon wrote:
anneke wrote:

In the sarcophagus were the remains of a mummy, but what became of it is unknown. In spite of what Mr. Davis has written in the volume dealing with this tomb, the bones were not submitted to any examination at the time of their discovery.

So I guess it's a bit of a mystery what happened to the mummy that was in the sarcophagus.

I don't suppose you have a reference for that statement? I am trying to write an article for Egyptological and that's a reference I would like to chase down.

After George B. Johnson : The Royal Tomb of Horemheb in the Valley of the Kings - Its Discovery, Design and Decoration. - In: Amarna letters - Essays on ancient Egypt, c. 1390 - 1310 BC - 4. - San Francisco : Kmt Communications, 2000. - pp. 120 - 159,

footnote 9 on page 125 it comes from

G. Elliot Smith / Warren R. Dawson : Egyptian mummies. - London : Allen & Unwin, 1924. - 188 p., page 98.

Greetings, Lutz.
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link which I found in the Egyptology News Blog and which could be interesting for this thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lLv58zwGhU

This is the video coverage of a symposium held in connection with the Horemheb exhibition. Speakers are amongst others van Dijk and Allen.

Warning: You`ll need time and patience to watch it as it runs more than three and a half hours. Have fun!

I watched some of it, and I am a bit disappointed that van Dijk made no attempt to explain the absence of the title "Eldest son of Horus" in the tomb which appears in the text of Horemheb`s coronation stela. Instead he stresses the numerous occurrences of the title iripat and iripat of Upper and Lower Egypt which he takes as valid proof that Horemheb was designated heir to the throne of Tut.
I wonder if in the later following discussion section someone will address this problem.
Theban Moon
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
Theban Moon wrote:
anneke wrote:

After George B. Johnson : The Royal Tomb of Horemheb in the Valley of the Kings - Its Discovery, Design and Decoration. - In: Amarna letters - Essays on ancient Egypt, c. 1390 - 1310 BC - 4. - San Francisco : Kmt Communications, 2000. - pp. 120 - 159,

footnote 9 on page 125 it comes from

G. Elliot Smith / Warren R. Dawson : Egyptian mummies. - London : Allen & Unwin, 1924. - 188 p., page 98.

Greetings, Lutz.

Thank you so much
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don`t know if the references given by Lutz give the same information but in his speech (see previous link) Reeves says that in KV 57 they initially found several skulls and bones from different persons (more persons than the skulls would account for). These remains were found in a storeroom, a sidechamber and the sarcophagus itself.
He suggests that these additional burials date from the third intermediate period and that they together with the possibly returned remains of Horemheb himself formed another kind of cache which was then unfortunately at some point severely disturbed.
cal_105
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is related to referenced symposium above. It is a presentation about the reexamination of Horemheb's Royal Tomb in the Valley of Kings in recent times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jrjNcBNF7A&feature=youtube_gdata
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: